Bus Transportation for Blind Guest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that Disney does not understand Visual Impairments. My Mom suffers from Macular Degeneration and now have very little vision (is considered legally blind here in Canada) and has very bad night blindness. She does use a walker/rollator in the parks and I hold onto the side of it and direct it for her because I found that people did not understand her white cane (we are from Canada where white canes are very noticeable and accepted) and would trip over it, walk in front of it, etc. So with the walker/rollator, she has a bit of a buffer zone. We do use the wheelchair entrances to the buses and it does make it more noticeable to drivers. I agree that it might be a training issue and I would have questioned the driver when he opened the front door by asking why he didn't acknowledge your family member who has a visual impairment? not nasty, just a question. Again, the driver might not have known what the white cane was for and simply thought you were trying to bypass the line.

Sadly, I think that's just the Bus Drivers showing a lack of training, as @PollyannaMom said above.

This is where I think your feedback could be really helpful - stressing to Disability Services that the drivers need to be reminded that *any* Guest who approaches the ramp should be treated with respect. Any Guest who feels the need to use the ramp over the steps is most likely doing so out of an abundance of caution, and a fear of falling on the steps and potentially being injured.

But that doesn't mean they have to let them on by the ramp - see below:

I will start this with you should not have been told that information. Unfortunately the people answering the phones don’t always know the day to day operations of the park. I don’t mean to sound unsympathetic but the problem with allowing anyone with a disability to use the wheelchair ramp is opening a can of worms. So now I can’t wait in line or I need to board first will be everything (autism,IBS, heart condition). We all see the post from people that need/want a DAS. So now the poor bus driver now needs to make these decisions. You couldn’t pay me enough to be in that position.

I agree - and I witnessed a back door stampede one time. One person in a wheelchair got on through the back ramp, then there was a rush of stroller pushing psychos who saw the opening and took advantage of it. 3-4 strollers got on before the driver knew what was happening and stopped the rest. It got kind of ugly.

But that doesn't mean they have to let them on by the ramp - see below:

I agree - and I witnessed a back door stampede one time. One person in a wheelchair got on through the back ramp, then there was a rush of stroller pushing psychos who saw the opening and took advantage of it. 3-4 strollers got on before the driver knew what was happening and stopped the rest. It got kind of ugly.

Once we were getting on the bus with my DH wheelchair . Another family came on with stroller. Bus driver said are you with them? Well, no, but our stroller is so crazy huge, it won't fit in the front door. The driver said , yes it will and made them get off the bus.

Honestly, I don't see why there should be an issue with using the ramp, the OP has stated that the person has a white cane, which is a universal sign to indicate low/no vision, so there is a clear physical indication that a disability is involved. I can understand hidden disabilities with no physical indication being an issue that would be difficult to deal with, but a white cane should be obvious that they need assistance and last time we were there some buses had very poorly lit steep stairs, so I can see why the ramp would be necessary for someone with limited vision and the bus drivers should not be taking issue with doing so.

Honestly, I don't see why there should be an issue with using the ramp, the OP has stated that the person has a white cane, which is a universal sign to indicate low/no vision, so there is a clear physical indication that a disability is involved. I can understand hidden disabilities with no physical indication being an issue that would be difficult to deal with, but a white cane should be obvious that they need assistance and last time we were there some buses had very poorly lit steep stairs, so I can see why the ramp would be necessary for someone with limited vision and the bus drivers should not be taking issue with doing so.

They've gone back to using some of the older buses with steps? I thought those were out of the system years ago!

They've gone back to using some of the older buses with steps? I thought those were out of the system years ago!
As I said, this was a few years ago, the last time we went they were definitely in use, not common, but in use. That being said, even just the step up from the curb without a ramp could be problematic, especially when poorly lit.

As I said, this was a few years ago, the last time we went they were definitely in use, not common, but in use. That being said, even just the step up from the curb without a ramp could be problematic, especially when poorly lit.

Luckily, the bus stops that we've been to have been well lit, to the point of being overly bright, LOL! Buses were walk on, no steps, etc.

While there may be no stairs, there is still a step up from the curb/ground to the bus, it does not go level to the ground like the ramp does and I can see how someone with limited vision may have issues there. And depending on the resort, I have seen very poorly lit bus stops (again a few years ago), some that come to mind are:
  • Fort Wilderness
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge - Especially Jambo House
  • Pop Century
And here are some theme park locations I found lighting to be an issue:
  • Hollywood Studios - Especially the further out bus stops
  • Animal Kingdom
  • Some stops at Magic Kingdom
  • EPCOT - Again especially the further out bus stops

And this is from someone who doesn't have limited vision, even I found many of these stops to have poor lighting.

While there may be no stairs, there is still a step up from the curb/ground to the bus, it does not go level to the ground like the ramp does and I can see how someone with limited vision may have issues there. And depending on the resort, I have seen very poorly lit bus stops (again a few years ago), some that come to mind are:
  • Fort Wilderness
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge - Especially Jambo House
  • Pop Century
And here are some theme park locations I found lighting to be an issue:
  • Hollywood Studios - Especially the further out bus stops
  • Animal Kingdom
  • Some stops at Magic Kingdom
  • EPCOT - Again especially the further out bus stops

And this is from someone who doesn't have limited vision, even I found many of these stops to have poor lighting.
Yes I always say if you think its dim try closing your eyes and doing it because for someone with night blindness that is what it's like.

Yeah, due to the nature of my work I tend to pay a bit more attention to how dimly lit areas really are.

While there may be no stairs, there is still a step up from the curb/ground to the bus, it does not go level to the ground like the ramp does and I can see how someone with limited vision may have issues there.
This suggests that the vision impaired person has never encountered steps, ever.

This suggests that the vision impaired person has never encountered steps, ever.
No, it suggests an area where normally a person with limited vision would be able to use a high power handheld flash light, something that security (at least at Disneyland) no longer allows guests to enter the park with.

Additionally there is a major difference in an unfamiliar theme park setting compared to what they may be familiar with on a day to day basis.

Honestly, I am shocked that anyone would begrudge someone with limited vision the ability to use a ramp to board a bus or any other form of transportation, ride, etc. When it will clearly help them load in a safer manner.

No I think it speaks to how an unfamiliar place can make steps difficult.
An example that I've just had to encounter and get used to is at my own home.
We have 2 steps to get from the driveway to front door.
I used to be able to walk in dim light and it was like muscle memory. I just knew where to step.
We had our driveway and front step area redone a few months ago and even now I still hesitate on my footing. Its not muscle memory yet.
Inside my house where there are 2 steps up from the foyer, 2 steps down into the family room, 13 steps to the second floor, and 12 steps to the basement I have no issue. Yes I know how many but I don't count them as I go up and down but I could walk my house with my eyes closed. Disney it just feels like I'm walking with my eyes closed sometimes and when there could be varying distance between the curb and bus it does help for my sister to tell me its a longer distance. Just like I know there are steps down in Space Mountain but I don't remember from one visit to the next whether its on the SB side or FP side. I just got back so I recall its the SB side.

No, it suggests an area where normally a person with limited vision would be able to use a high power handheld flash light, something that security (at least at Disneyland) no longer allows guests to enter the park with.

Additionally there is a major difference in an unfamiliar theme park setting compared to what they may be familiar with on a day to day basis.

Honestly, I am shocked that anyone would begrudge someone with limited vision the ability to use a ramp to board a bus or any other form of transportation, ride, etc. When it will clearly help them load in a safer manner.

I will say that I have a very tiny like fit in the palm of your hand and when you close your hand you can't even see it flashlight that is even more powerful than some of the large heavy ones and I've had no issue taking it to DLR or WDW.

I definitely agree about familiar vs unfamiliar.
Once I have been somewhere a few times I get used to the area but especially when there are variables its still hard to navigate.

While I personally don't need a ramp for the buses avoiding stairs in other places is nice. Example at DLR there are so many steps going on and off of rides. We ended up using the elevator for Indiana Jones because it was just too dim for my liking for the stairs.
I feel generally confident about moving sidewalks but I've heard of other visually impaired people asking for them to slow it down or stop it so they can step on and they have been told no that is only for wheelchairs. I think its just a lack of understanding especially because often times being visually impaired is an invisible disability.

I get that. But a single step (the verb, not the noun) up into a bus?

Next time you're there do it with your eyes closed especially the step down from the bus to the curb then talk to me.
Btw you said "encountered steps" so you were talking about stairs not walking and while the bus is a single step it's still a variable one.

Last edited:
Next time you're there do it with your eyes closed especially the step down from the bus to the curb then talk to me.
I walk dow bus steps (and sometimes stairways) backwards, so I "see" with my feet.
Btw you said "encountered steps" so you were talking about stairs not walking and while the bus is a single step it's still a variable one.
Because a person who encounters multiple steps daily, frequently, often or occasionally enough to navigate, could reasonably be expected to manage a single step up into a bus.

I walk dow bus steps (and sometimes stairways) backwards, so I "see" with my feet.

Because a person who encounters multiple steps daily, frequently, often or occasionally enough to navigate, could reasonably be expected to manage a single step up into a bus.
Until you are faced with the disability yourself you cannot dictate how it should or should not impact someone.
I have to think about things in my daily life that fully sighted people would be like "why" about.
For example whenever I walk into a restaurant I have to make sure whoever I'm with is close enough to hold onto. I have to look like a child with their mother reading the menu options. I have to then commit the name of the dish to memory for 5 minutes until the waiter comes.
At movie theaters the need to hold onto someone is even greater and if the movie has sub titles I have to have it read to me. I love old movies so when the movie "The Artist" came out we specifically waited a while to see it and then went at an off time hoping to avoid a full theater so my sister and friend could read the entire movie to me.
Going anywhere at night in general is not terribly fun for me. In the winter it is completely unavoidable but I do find that when there is snow on the ground it really helps lighten everything up.
I have been blind in my left eye since age 11 and then became night blind in my right eye at 21. The first time I went to WDW after that was hell because I didn't realize quite how bad it was until I walked into the line to meet Mickey in Toontown and suddenly I was a deer in headlights. I just froze and my sister had to come back and lead me which was the first time that needed to be done other than earlier in the year when my retina was detached and that is what caused the night blindness. She thought I was just being dumb but after we met Mickey I walked outside and started crying and explained that it was literally like I had my eyes closed trying to walk through the line. We then came up with ways to make it easier.

These things are not what I like to focus on because I do enjoy going to restaurants, movies, shopping, and of course Disney World and I don't talk about it much because suddenly people think I can't possibly do "normal" things but I feel there was potential for someone even if its not you to learn some lessons on what being visually impaired is like.

You've proven to me that some people just don't get it which is when I must walk away because nothing I say will make a difference in your judgement of those with a visual impairment.

Last edited:
If stepping onto a bus is so fraught with issues that you need to use the back entrance/ramp, how is that person navigating the parks/crowds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter