Buses or Car Rental with a 2 year old?

Runner225

Mouseketeer
I was debating which forum to put this on, but figured it might be best to put it in families as that's who I would love to hear from.

We are staying at POP 7/28-8/2 and are taking our DD who will be 2 years old. DH and I have vacationed to Disney in the past and always rode the buses. Now that we are adding a toddler & stroller into the mix I am debating if we should rent a car to save on time/ease of transporting everything? Another factor is that its July and it will most likely be crowded and obv hot. We also plan to try to come back in the afternoon to give our DD a break/nap.

Thoughts from anyone that has vacationed with a toddler and used the bus system in the summer? We haven't traveled to Disney in July, so don't know exactly what to expect.

Thank you!

What we always loved about going to Disney when the kids were little was not bringing a car seat because we didn't need a car at all. If you don't feel you need one on the plane (we didn't, others are different), you can leave it behind and have one less thing to deal with in the airport.

The buses are not perfect, but most of the time they were fine and "free".

What we always loved about going to Disney when the kids were little was not bringing a car seat because we didn't need a car at all. If you don't feel you need one on the plane (we didn't, others are different), you can leave it behind and have one less thing to deal with in the airport.

The buses are not perfect, but most of the time they were fine and "free".

We are bringing the car seat on the plane bc DD doesn't really sit still and the only times she seems to or sleep are in her car seat. We also have a car rental for the 1st and 2nd day because DH really wants to go to Universal as he is a big Simpsons fan and wants to see Springfield (another reason for the car seat coming with us). So now its basically do we extend our rental to the full stay or keep it as is. DH just wants to use the bus, but I am more about what will save us time/headaches...but buses also save $!

This will really come down to what you want to do. We stay offsite (and we drive because it's only 8 hours away), so a car is a necessity for us. But even if we stayed onsite, you couldn't pay me to use a WDW bus. No way, no how, not happening. We like to go where we want, when we want. Can't really do that with a bus. Plus, it's nice to have space to ourselves after a day in the crowds. But that's just our own style. Many people swear by the buses, and there's nothing wrong with that. If using them is more your style, then do it.

Having a car would also allow you to do something off property if you'd like...which I highly suggest. Tons of gift shops, restaurants, etc... Mmmmmm....Menchies Frozen Yogurt. :D

The one place I'd definitely take the bus to is MK. Just because dealing with a stroller at TTC seems like a nightmare to me (I'm sure people do it without a problem, but if I didn't have to deal with it I wouldn't)

We traveled to WDW a ton when the kids were little. We always had their car seats because we used them on the plane, but once we landed at MCO...we only used WDW transportation. I found it really easy and loved not having to worry about driving on vacation.

Since they were little (the kids are now 12 and 16 years old), we have had a car at WDW a few times and they end up sitting in the parking lot for the duration of our stay.

I will recommend that you organize the items in the bottom of your stroller. Your diaper bag (we used a diaper backpack) should have all the important stuff and include 2-3 diapers and a travel box of wipes. In a plain, plastic grocery bag I would put additional diapers and more wipes...along with anything else that is somewhat disposable (small snacks, sweatshirts, etc). The plastic bag stays under the stroller and you replenish your diaper bag from there...carrying less as you go onto rides. When you need to collapse the stroller to board a bus, you can easily grab the plastic bag in addition to the diaper bag.

This system made our park days so much easier. We carried less and boarding the bus was a breeze because the under stroller stuff was organized.

Have fun! I loved visiting when they were that little! <3

We used the buses last month with a 2 (and 4) year old and a double stroller and it was far easier than I’d imagined! Our kids far preferred the freedom of the buses (and how unlike their ‘norm’ it is to be out of car seats).

Busses were (and are) the best for our family. Even with strollers and toddlers. We found it easy and easier than a car.

I was debating which forum to put this on, but figured it might be best to put it in families as that's who I would love to hear from.

We are staying at POP 7/28-8/2 and are taking our DD who will be 2 years old. DH and I have vacationed to Disney in the past and always rode the buses. Now that we are adding a toddler & stroller into the mix I am debating if we should rent a car to save on time/ease of transporting everything? Another factor is that its July and it will most likely be crowded and obv hot. We also plan to try to come back in the afternoon to give our DD a break/nap.

Thoughts from anyone that has vacationed with a toddler and used the bus system in the summer? We haven't traveled to Disney in July, so don't know exactly what to expect.

Thank you!
remember even if you use a car at MK you will either have to take the ferry or the monorail to the parking lot and most likely a tram to you car from TTC station. also how easy does your child stay asleep after falling asleep in car. that trip back to resort did in grandson as he would not go back to sleep and no one in the group got any rest after his very short nap bus plus you also could have a long walk back to your room from parking to consider

We drive, so we obviously have access to a vehicle. My son was 18 months old and we drove everywhere except MK (took the boat from WL). I preferred knowing we would have seats, and he’s comfortable in the car. It worked great for us.

It's been years since my son was a toddler but we have been going since he was shy of 3. We drive down and always park the car and never get in it again until we leave. We have always used Disney transportation. Full disclosure, I didn't travel with a stroller, my son hated them. We would start the day off with him walking and if he got too tired for words we would either go back to the room for a rest/swim or nap for Mommy or I would just rent one so there was no issue with dealing with it on the bus. I was a single mom so the less to deal with the better for me, unfolding/folding a stroller and trying to wrangle that and the kid was too much. I also didn't carry a lot with us into the parks, again if he got too dirty for words or had an accident, we went back to the resort and changed. If he needed something to drink, we stopped and got some water or a carton of milk. I did carry a small purse and would put a small ziplock of his favorite snack but otherwise I didn't carry a lot of stuff so didn't need the stroller to use as a carrying device. If we bought something, I just had it sent back to the resort so no carrying it around.

We drive down every time but never us out car. I refuse to drive at Disney. It stresses me and DH out just the little bit we do drive to get to our resort. We did use the buses with a stroller once and as long as you are organized it is a breeze. DH handled the stroller on the bus and I handles both kids.

We have never rented a car for Disney- part of the allure of staying onsite is not having to worry about driving (my DH does that enough driving into Boston daily). For buses, DH has always dealt with the stroller and I deal with the kid/s. A good carrier is also very helpful. We never do midday breaks (though we do go in cooler months, when they don’t seem as necessary) and my oldest (when she was 6 months) would only nap in the carrier. My youngest (when she was 2 1/2) would just pass out whenever in the stroller, though would occasionally fall asleep in the carrier at the end of the night on the way back to the resort (I’d wear her and push our oldest in the stroller to move faster/keep track of her in the exit crowds). A backpack diaper bag is really helpful to use in the parks as it keeps DH’s hands free to hold the stroller on the bus.

My vote would be to save money and take the buses. We've never gone back for a midday break though. It just seems like it would take up too much time and thankfully my youngest had no problem napping in the stroller. The buses aren't that big of a deal with a stroller. Just make sure everything underneath is packed up when you're about to board. Last trip, we had a small crossbody backpack that I put a diaper caddy (unfolds into a changing mat and has pockets for diapers and wipes) in, along with a change of clothes, and a couple snacks. DD also had a small backpack with her autograph book and markers. She carried her bag, I took the diaper bag and my toddler, and DH handled the stroller.

This is all SO HELPFUL! Thank you very much! I wanted to hear from the people who have "been there, done that".

After reading all your responses, I think we'll just keep our rental for the 2 days (still need that for Universal) and use the buses the rest of the time. I always used the buses in the past, so I completely forgot that the parking for MK was at TTC.

DD rarely naps in the stroller, but I am hoping since we will be on the go so much that she will take a few.
remember even if you use a car at MK you will either have to take the ferry or the monorail to the parking lot and most likely a tram to you car from TTC station. also how easy does your child stay asleep after falling asleep in car. that trip back to resort did in grandson as he would not go back to sleep and no one in the group got any rest after his very short nap bus plus you also could have a long walk back to your room from parking to consider

This is such a good point. DD will sleep in the car and if she is exhausted enough, she will still go down for a nap...but that seemed to happen more when she was younger. She will have a better chance staying awake on the bus.

Thanks again everyone :)

We took our boys when they were 3 & 6, during Feb. We stayed at AK and that bus ride with 2 kids and a stroller back was tough. They were both tired and needed a nap but of course wouldn't sleep on the bus. I would say since you're staying farther out you may want to rent a car or take a taxi. Waiting for rides was equally tough so renting a car might be the best option overall.

One thing about July - your car will be as HOT AS THE SURFACE OF THE SUN in the afternoon. Nothing like getting into a hot car when you are all sweaty, or waiting outside the car in the hot parking lot for the AC to kick in. We had our windshield crack from the heat one time. Ugh, that was a pain to get replaced.

It's good to have the car for Universal though - they have a parking garage, so the car won't be in the direct sun. If you go early enough and park on the ground level (or one up), it stays pretty cool (for July).

With one kid--busses all the way. The only tricky spot my husband and I ran into was when both kids (2.5 & 5 at the time) fell asleep in the stroller while waiting for a bus back to the resort. That required some logistical planning.

Would he be charged parking fees (about $13/day) with the new parking changes or does that only apply to trips not already booked?

Sometimes the buses can be a pain with a toddler. There have been a few occasions at closing where I've had to stand on the bus holding my sleeping toddler or baby with the other hand on a pole. Not the safest thing to do. If money was not a concern I would rent a car and use it to non-MK parks. My wife prefers the buses and found the parking lot shuttles a bit of a pain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts