But confused car hire insurance

aneka

Mouseketeer
sorry I asked this question elsewere but the responses just made me more confused, thinking it might be caus they were American

Care hire with Avis includes CDW and third party cover / supplemental liability

Is this all the cover I need ?
Just worried as I was looking at the small print and in brackets it’s telling me under the CDW section the rental car isn’t covered?
Does that mean if I don’t get extra cover I’d have to replace the rental car if I was in an accident?
Wot other insurance do I need to get at the rental desk when picking up the car ?

Small print below

“•CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) and Vehicle Theft coverage with Zero Excess.

(Not covered under the included cover: Tyres, Wheels, Rear view and side mirrors, Windows, Hubcaps, Taxi (transportation), Towing costs, Locks, Battery, Motor, Undercarriage and Interior of car, Clutch, Replacement Keys, Damage to oil sump, Catalytic convertor, Radiator).

•Third Party Cover/ Supplemental Liability Insurance (up to 1 million USD).”

I don’t have insurance with my credit card and I’m pretty sure my at home insurance for my own personal car in Ireland only covers me for my own car and non rental cars borrowed in Ireland

Unless you've got deep pockets you'll need to look at extra insurance.

I would suggest you buy through a broker site (Argus, USRentACar, rentalcars.com etc)

They'll always make sure you have nothing to pay except possibly some excess in the event of an accident.

You will want to get some type of insurance that is PRIMARY coverage, that is coverage that is gone to first, before any other coverage.

Most of the coverage offered by car rental companies is SECONDARY, so that it covers any amounts not covered by your own insurance company (in the US, most people's insurance companies (for their personal vehicles) will cover rental cars and the credit card coverage is secondary.

Coming from the UK, we always hire our US rental cars through the UK site for whichever company we choose and get the full insurance cover. If we're not sure what's being covered we phone to check. We have never needed anything extra when collecting the car.
It was some years ago we had an accident with the rental car (we were parked in a proper parking space and someone ran into the side of us, so no question that it wasn't our fault). The car was a bit of a mess but drivable, we rang and let them know and they offered a new car which we didn't take up. When we dropped it back they didn't bat an eyelid, no charges and no questions, the insurance just covered it.

sorry I asked this question elsewere but the responses just made me more confused, thinking it might be caus they were American

Care hire with Avis includes CDW and third party cover / supplemental liability

Is this all the cover I need ?
Just worried as I was looking at the small print and in brackets it’s telling me under the CDW section the rental car isn’t covered?
Does that mean if I don’t get extra cover I’d have to replace the rental car if I was in an accident?
Wot other insurance do I need to get at the rental desk when picking up the car ?

Small print below

“•CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) and Vehicle Theft coverage with Zero Excess.

(Not covered under the included cover: Tyres, Wheels, Rear view and side mirrors, Windows, Hubcaps, Taxi (transportation), Towing costs, Locks, Battery, Motor, Undercarriage and Interior of car, Clutch, Replacement Keys, Damage to oil sump, Catalytic convertor, Radiator).

•Third Party Cover/ Supplemental Liability Insurance (up to 1 million USD).”

I don’t have insurance with my credit card and I’m pretty sure my at home insurance for my own personal car in Ireland only covers me for my own car and non rental cars borrowed in Ireland

I am not sure what the above posters are saying re primary cover but it’s wrong in terms of what you have bought. Take it from a Brit that’s hired cars in the US for 25 years.
You’ve booked I take it via a U.k or Irish broker or U.K. or Irish Avis.
Yes you have CDW and SLI, that’s all you need. This is full cover. The CDW means if the car gets damaged, then you don’t have to pay any excess. The SLI means if you crash into anyone else, you are covered to 1 million.
You basically have max cover, standard for all Brits and Irish buying a fully insured car in USA, save for they may try to flog you breakdown cover (you get breakdown anyway) or lost keys etc. Don’t fall for any of it when you get there.
When you arrive in USA, the car hire clerk who is on a commission, will smell blood in your naivety , and try anything to get you to buy more insurance, buy an upgrade, or a sat nav. My advice is buy a worldwide sat nav before you go, with US maps on or use one of the phone apps like Navmii.
When they start pressuring you at the desk, answer like this - ‘ I rent all the time, not from your company but from (another); I’ve got all the insurance I need, and don’t need an upgrade so just process what I paid for as I wish to get going. ( Other car hire company) do not give me this hassle’.
They can be quite abrupt and high pressure because they earn gpbug commissions, don’t be afraid to be abrupt straight back.

You will want to get some type of insurance that is PRIMARY coverage, that is coverage that is gone to first, before any other coverage.

Most of the coverage offered by car rental companies is SECONDARY, so that it covers any amounts not covered by your own insurance company (in the US, most people's insurance companies (for their personal vehicles) will cover rental cars and the credit card coverage is secondary.
This is not the case with OPs cover.

To Aneka

Did you book your car ?

If not then use a car broker as pointed out in post 4 & 5

AND Take the advice given by Wakey in post 6

I live in Cork and have used the Car rental Co. in 4 & 5 Many times over the last 17 years

Both in USA , Canada & Europe

They supply you with a PRE PAID Voucher With All the Insurance you need

DO NOT TAKE OUT EXTRA INSURANCE at Car Rental Desk in USA

Note As you fill in Car Rental Booking Form Take Option Fuel FULL to FULL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!