Buy at 2 resorts

KSR0330

DIS Veteran
Any cons to buying at 2 different resorts? We love BWV, but also want to stay at other DVC resorts. I was thinking we could buy 100ish points at BW and another 100ish somewhere else, maybe AKV. Then we could have 200 pts for BW every other year and 200 for AKV (or maybe someplace different) every other year. Am I correct that it can work this way? I know to try and get the same use year for each contract. Any negatives to doing this?

The “negative” is that you cannot combine points at 11 months (only at 7), but if you want to switch up where you stay and get that 11 month home advantage, this is a good way to go! We have multiple home resorts for this reason.

Like Lorana says if you like to switch things up on a stay it's a great way to do it. If you do not like to move but stay put the entire time don't do it.

I like split stays myself and it's easy take your luggage down to bell services the day you check out and they will transfer it for you to your next destination pretty easy.

I always split my stays anyway. I like to stay at an Epcot resort for several days and then a MK one for several more. Sometimes fit AKL in between. The past few years I have done two 10 day trips, Spring and Fall, and stayed at 3 different resorts each time. With your two contracts you can book some nights at one and some at the other at the 11 month mark and then make changes at 7 months.

Any cons to buying at 2 different resorts? We love BWV, but also want to stay at other DVC resorts. I was thinking we could buy 100ish points at BW and another 100ish somewhere else, maybe AKV. Then we could have 200 pts for BW every other year and 200 for AKV (or maybe someplace different) every other year. Am I correct that it can work this way? I know to try and get the same use year for each contract. Any negatives to doing this?
And I realize I didn’t answer your question directly. Yes, you can do it that way. Borrow for the first to have 200 points, and bank the second so the following year you have 200 for it to use.

While it is temporary right now, the borrowing rule is restricted to 50%.

So, they typical plan of alternating every other year won’t work the same until that is changed back.

I do own three. RIV for yearly stays during F and W, BLT for December trips and my SSR points to stay at Those, plus VGF and BCV during slower times,

As mentioned, you cant combine until 7months but it is nice having them 11 month advantage for each for the times I want them.

Like others said we typically split stay anyway in which case it’s great because you get 11 month booking window at both resorts. We are in the market for a second home resort for this exact reason.

If you want to combine the points from two resorts at the 7 month mark, then both contracts need to have the same use year.
I don't have transfered points so I cannot verify myself, but I've read they now appear online and can be used for booking (and OTU points as well). So one could transfer the points from one membership to the other and combine at 7 months. Unless there is still the limitation that they have to be from the same UY to appear?

I don't have transfered points so I cannot verify myself, but I've read they now appear online and can be used for booking (and OTU points as well). So one could transfer the points from one membership to the other and combine at 7 months. Unless there is still the limitation that they have to be from the same UY to appear?

The online system will allow you to use transferred points online and that is a good update.

However, even when points are owned by the same person, they will not transfer banked or borrowed points. So, if points are in a different UY, you will be limited to only current points. While transferred points can be banked, they can’t be borrowed,

You also have to think about time of travel to ensure that when transferring your points they match the trips,

So, the new option is a great one, there are still issues one has to consider, If one wants to routinely combine into a stay at one resort, then same UY is the easiest,

But, for split stays, or for people who just want to book as though they are their own, then it is manageable. I like my two UYs because I can decide which one to use depending on travel.

I agree with the sentiment of booking split stays, and if you really want 2 different resorts, having one of them be one where you can take advantage of the booking window. It won’t do you much good to have OKW and SSR for example, unless those are the resorts you plan to stay at. I think your AKV/BWV breakdown is perfect, as both resorts give you a significant advantage with the 11 month window (AKL if you want to stretch your points and get value accommodations, BWV is impossible to book standard view studios at 7 months). Good luck!

Searched for this very topic! We own at CCV, just had our Welcome Home trip and loved it! Did a split stay at AKV, wasn't as impressed as I expected to be (had stayed on hotel side 10 years ago and loved it), but still would love to own there some day. We did all of the DVC open houses except SSR (and OKW didn't have one). Really liked BLT and RIV as well. I liked VGF but DH not as much. So we narrowed add on to either more at CCV, new at AKV or RIV. It didn't seem to make sense to have 2 MK resorts, so we passed on BLT.

Then comparing points, seemed like AKV and CCV were best bang for our buck. So I think we add more CCV? I don't know! All for the suggestions, we have to decided today to do CCV if we want that (had an extension on the special offer because of when we tried to call our rep).

Searched for this very topic! We own at CCV, just had our Welcome Home trip and loved it! Did a split stay at AKV, wasn't as impressed as I expected to be (had stayed on hotel side 10 years ago and loved it), but still would love to own there some day. We did all of the DVC open houses except SSR (and OKW didn't have one). Really liked BLT and RIV as well. I liked VGF but DH not as much. So we narrowed add on to either more at CCV, new at AKV or RIV. It didn't seem to make sense to have 2 MK resorts, so we passed on BLT.

Then comparing points, seemed like AKV and CCV were best bang for our buck. So I think we add more CCV? I don't know! All for the suggestions, we have to decided today to do CCV if we want that (had an extension on the special offer because of when we tried to call our rep).
What type of accommodations do you usually prefer to stay at, and when do you prefer to travel? My inclination is to buy at CCV! AKV is *usually* available at 7 months except for the most popular times of year, whereas CCV - especially Studios! - can book up fast! CCV also has a longer contract than AKV (2068 vs 2057). With the special offer, the CCV direct price is pretty reasonable, and AKV direct is still fairly high; I'd purchase resale for AKV. (I personally own at both and love both).

On the flipside: If you really want to book Value or Concierge rooms at AKV, though, you need to own there.

What type of accommodations do you usually prefer to stay at, and when do you prefer to travel? My inclination is to buy at CCV! AKV is *usually* available at 7 months except for the most popular times of year, whereas CCV - especially Studios! - can book up fast! CCV also has a longer contract than AKV (2068 vs 2057). With the special offer, the CCV direct price is pretty reasonable, and AKV direct is still fairly high; I'd purchase resale for AKV. (I personally own at both and love both).

On the flipside: If you really want to book Value or Concierge rooms at AKV, though, you need to own there.

Thank you, that's exactly what we were thinking this morning! We just stayed in a 1 bedroom for the first time and will probably go that route most of our trips. Like everyone else, we like the fall and early Dec. for travel. We will need to do 2 bedrooms on occasion when we go from 4 to 6 (when my DSSx2 join us).

Thank you, that's exactly what we were thinking this morning! We just stayed in a 1 bedroom for the first time and will probably go that route most of our trips. Like everyone else, we like the fall and early Dec. for travel. We will need to do 2 bedrooms on occasion when we go from 4 to 6 (when my DSSx2 join us).
1BRs are certainly easier to get than Studios, but even those can be gone by 7 months during early December. So I think buying at CCV now is the right choice, and then just wait for the right AKV resale contract if you want to own there, too!

The online system will allow you to use transferred points online and that is a good update.

However, even when points are owned by the same person, they will not transfer banked or borrowed points. So, if points are in a different UY, you will be limited to only current points. While transferred points can be banked, they can’t be borrowed,

You also have to think about time of travel to ensure that when transferring your points they match the trips,

So, the new option is a great one, there are still issues one has to consider, If one wants to routinely combine into a stay at one resort, then same UY is the easiest,

But, for split stays, or for people who just want to book as though they are their own, then it is manageable. I like my two UYs because I can decide which one to use depending on travel.
Are different UY - and therefore accounts - a way to get more than 1 transfer in/out per year? (One for each account?) Still not ideal but a fringe benefit nonetheless.

Are different UY - and therefore accounts - a way to get more than 1 transfer in/out per year? (One for each account?) Still not ideal but a fringe benefit nonetheless.

Yes. As mentioned, it is like you are two different owners. Recently, they have been allowing owners to transfer between UYs they own and not count it as the one and only,

But, I can get points in my Aug UY and points in my Dec UY from other owners. If I had a trip that I wanted or needed those points, I could end up with more that way as each could be smaller. Or different resorts, etc.

I think 2 UYs work when you have enough points in each to use them on their own and you have reasons. I never combine points and book different trips on different memberships based on when I am traveling.

I own at CCV and VGF. Sometimes I book a studio stay at CCV 11 months out and use my VGF to try to book a 1 bedroom at CCV 7 months out or the other way around. This way we know we at least have the studio booked since both resorts studios book pretty early. If we get stuck with the studio, I just use the extra points for another trip. Usually works though.

Yes, only being able to borrow 50% of your points definitely prevents my plan from working! Any idea when/if they will discontinue this!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!