Buy Aulani to stay use at minimum Saratoga

Superman1011

Earning My Ears
Looking for a second set of points before I’ve even closed on my 1st set. Was wondering the community’s thoughts on buying Aulani to use at 7 month window at SSR. Points are same resale if not cheaper (dues are higher) but get an extra 8 years on the contract. Dumb idea as at some point in the future the 11 month SSR window may be a need?

I'd just go with SSR because the dues are cheaper. Buying is a one time cost but those dues are yearly.

Agreed, unless you get a subsidized Aulani contract. Even than only if you prefer WDW to Hawaii. If Hawaii is really your first choice, than subsidized Aulani is the way to go. Else I would just do SSR.

Great3

Or if OKW is more appealing look for resale extended contracts. They are less frequent but expire in 2057 and sell only a few bucks above SSR. Just this week 2 in my UY popped up for 100 points a piece asking 118 a point, not stripped.

Maybe if you found a subsidized contract and also planned to visit Aulani periodically with the points. Otherwise the dues difference will negate the purchase price difference in not too long of time. Buying a WDW resort means you can at least book a room onsite and then try and modify at 7 months.

What does subsidized mean?
When Disney first started selling Aulani, there were questionable decisions made around pricing practices around ADs that suggested there may have been intentional deception on the developer’s side (low ADs with plans down the line to raise them) . Heads rolled (including then DVC President Jim lewis) and sales were stopped.

The “accounting” issues were corrected and to remedy the misstep, Disney agreed to pay the difference between the early dues and the subsequently recalculated dues which were higher.

Some say it was a mistake, others saw something more nefarious. Whatever it was, those subsidized contracts have had ADs increases matching their unsubsidized contracts (as a percentage) and will continue to enjoy those subsidies through the life of the contract.

What does subsidized mean?

The maintenance fees were miscalculated during the early sales of Aulani. Ie. The books were cooked and it was caught by the state of Hawaii. They halted sales of Aulani. Part of their requirements were that DVC had to continue supporting that lower calculation so all contracts bought before that time retain a subsidy on the mfs and it stays with that contract even when resold. I think it's in the range of $1.80 - $1.90 or so.

VB is the other resort that has contracts with subsidized dues from early sales. That was because DVC originally based sales on a larger resort but slow sales made them cut back on the plans which changed the underlying calculation.

The maintenance fees were miscalculated during the early sales of Aulani. Ie. The books were cooked and it was caught by the state of Hawaii. They halted sales of Aulani. Part of their requirements were that DVC had to continue supporting that lower calculation so all contracts bought before that time retain a subsidy on the mfs and it stays with that contract even when resold. I think it's in the range of $1.80 - $1.90 or so.

VB is the other resort that has contracts with subsidized dues from early sales. That was because DVC originally based sales on a larger resort but slow sales made them cut back on the plans which changed the underlying calculation.
And several heads rolled. The VP of DVC was fired along with others in DVC management.

When does the OP plan on visiting SSR and what size room. If your looking for a studio the first 2 weeks in December it is not going to happen at 7 months. I agree with others the price difference of AUL resale and SSR is minimal. You’ll spend more in dues in a couple of years and have no priority at WDW. If you were primarily using them for AUL and an occasional WDW trip then it would be ok.

There are a handful of days in a year when SSR might not have availability at all. For example marathon week end. A waitlist would probably match, though.
SSR standard also sell out before preferred, I believe, so if you're looking at the standard point charts, being forced to book preferred would negate any savings (even with Aulani subsidized).
While I like the "buy the cheapest resort you don't mind staying at" strategy more than "buy where you want to stay", I wouldn't buy an offisite resort with the plan of using it every time at WDW. DVC is getting worst and worst with their attitude vs resale owners, who knows which kind of restrictions they might try to add in the future.

I wouldn't. Like others have said, the dues are higher so the savings may not be much over time. Plus, even though SSR is usually available. There are times of the year where you may have trouble if you're looking for a studio. I actually just checked and there are no studios 7 months from today. It's not a risk I'd be willing to take.

I wouldn't. Like others have said, the dues are higher so the savings may not be much over time. Plus, even though SSR is usually available. There are times of the year where you may have trouble if you're looking for a studio. I actually just checked and there are no studios 7 months from today. It's not a risk I'd be willing to take.

7 months is the WDW marathon which is very popular.

Looking for a second set of points before I’ve even closed on my 1st set. Was wondering the community’s thoughts on buying Aulani to use at 7 month window at SSR. Points are same resale if not cheaper (dues are higher) but get an extra 8 years on the contract. Dumb idea as at some point in the future the 11 month SSR window may be a need?
From what it sounds you are only considering buying Aulani because it is a longer contract? Please keep in mind many if not most people who buy into DVC don't or will not keep until contract end. So I would not buy just to get an extra 8 years. You are talking about a situation which is almost 40 years from now. If it were me I would be 80 at that point and wouldn't even care about traveling to WDW.

SSR really is the best bargain on property. It has one of the lower buy ins and it has the lowest MF. Plus if you are looking to book on property between mid September and mid January you will have a very tough time finding a room and if it is a studio that you want you definitely won't find one at the 7 month mark.

I would also take into consideration just buying where you currently (or soon will) own and if not make sure your UY are the same for both contracts if you are considering a different resort. It will make using your contracts much easier if they have the same UY and are deeded exactly the same.

If you have yet to use DVC then i would slow down. Get your first contract under your belt and see how the system works. then after you have a feel for the system you can then decide where to add on.

But pretty much if you want on WDW property you better buy on WDW property.

Aulani also seems more risky to me. It’s on an island in the middle of the pacific and subject to Hawaiian law not Floridian (very favorable to Disney) law.

You really only want to own at Aulani if you plan on staying there and need the 11 month booking window (typically required for reservations made during the high season June through August). Otherwise, you can book your room using the 7 month window. However, if you can find an attractive Aulani contract (somewhere in the around $85 ppp), your thinking may make sense, you'd just have to calculate the difference in MF from SSR contract and Aulani and calculate the break even point point for purchasing AUL over SSR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter