Buying a bed online. Have you?

Thank you for all of the responses, I appreciate it! :surfweb:

After reading through the posts here, and calling some of my relatives whose homes I’ve visited and loved their beds, and doing more online research, we had it narrowed down to a Beautyrest.

Then I saw Steve H’s comment about the Disney bed from Beautyrest. I called them and the customer service rep was great. She answered all of our questions.

We ordered the Disney Pillow Top by Beautyrest, in king size which is the same size that we have right now. Comparing all of the features in the Disney beds to the other Beautyrest mattresses on Macy’s and other web sites, I feel that we got a great deal at $999 + tax💰:thumbsup2

Will they allow you to return if you don't like it? I like a pretty firm bed, so I am worried about ordering something online that is not what I like.

My wife did it once for a guest bed. It was really odd though. We got a good price but ended up not liking it and returned it. Unlike a physical retailer with free delivery and a 30 day full return policy, we had to pay a return fee (might have been maybe $75).

I'd generally prefer to at least sample a particular mattress before buying it.

When we bought our primary mattress at a retail store, the date on the tag said it was manufactured the day before it was delivered. That was when there was a local factory that made most of their mattresses to order.

Will they allow you to return if you don't like it? I like a pretty firm bed, so I am worried about ordering something online that is not what I like.

Many of the stores like Macy’s and other direct store websites, like Beautyrest.com, for example, offered varying trial periods so that you could return it if you didn’t like it. But ordering from beautyrestguestpurchase.com only allows returns for warranty-covered reasons. They also said that we should be sure to examine the entire mattress within a day or so of delivery, so that they could replace it if we founds scratches, tears, or anything else wrong.
We feel comfortable taking this chance because we’ve slept on, and loved, several different Beautyrest mattresses, with the same, or very similar, features. If we end up finding it to be not right for us then we’ll put it in the guest bedroom

My wife did it once for a guest bed. It was really odd though. We got a good price but ended up not liking it and returned it. Unlike a physical retailer with free delivery and a 30 day full return policy, we had to pay a return fee (might have been maybe $75).

I'd generally prefer to at least sample a particular mattress before buying it.

When we bought our primary mattress at a retail store, the date on the tag said it was manufactured the day before it was delivered. That was when there was a local factory that made most of their mattresses to order.

I don’t know how true this is, but the customer service rep told me that they will make our mattress upon order.
Ideally we would’ve gone out and checked out mattresses in person, but we’re in Massachusetts and we’re still pretty far away from many types of stores being open.

I’m not usually a gambler but I feel pretty good about this purchase. Time will tell.:hourglass And then I’ll come back here and give an update.:surfweb:

I don’t know how true this is, but the customer service rep told me that they will make our mattress upon order.
Ideally we would’ve gone out and checked out mattresses in person, but we’re in Massachusetts and we’re still pretty far away from many types of stores being open.
Depends on where you get it. There are places where one can buy mattresses in stock. Obviously a mattress sold at Costco is going to be right there where the customer loads it. I know of some mattress stores that claim same day delivery, which is far more difficult if it has to be made to order.

There a lot fewer mattress factories now with a lot of consolidation of what used to be dispersed mattress factories. I remember buying a mattress once at a Spring Air factory sale nearby. They had a small showroom in the factory and there were windows showing the factory floor. I could see things like the bins where the springs came from and racks containing rolls of the outer fabric. That factory has since closed. There used to be a Simmons factory around here and that's gone too.

We purchased a new mattress online a couple months ago and found that a lot of the online only mattress brands have better 'try it out at home' periods than the traditional companies we were familiar with, plus the terms for the return are clearly spelled out online so there's no misunderstanding, which I liked. We watched a lot of YouTube videos about mattresses and had it narrowed down to three. We ended up purchasing from Avocado, which makes all their mattresses in Los Angeles, and so far we really love it. The only negative is that it is much heavier than our previous mattress, so getting it from where the delivery driver decided to leave it in my driveway to our bedroom was a struggle, especially since I didn't want my husband helping due to his back surgery last year, so I did it all myself. I think the runner up was Saatva, which also got great reviews on the YouTube videos we watched.

Yep! My husband and I have a king Tuft and Needle Mint mattresses and love it!

My daughter needed a new mattress and she wanted a Purple mattress (guess all of the ads work...), even though I would have preferred getting another Tuft and Needle. We received the cover and mattress a week before the platform for it. But she's slept on it 2 nights and loves it.

The key with online purchases is to go directly from the website (i.e. not Amazon), so that you don't have any trouble with the 100-night sleep warranty -- it's apparently much easier dealing directly with the company.

I am in the minority here, but there's no way I'd spend that much money on a mattress without trying it out first- if the stores are letting you, I guess. I'd take a sheet or blanket with me and lay it on the mattress, then stretch out.

It’s probably going to be a long time, if ever, before anyone is going to want to try out beds by laying down on them. I know that I don’t.

My husband and I have been looking at beds online. We bought our last bed at Macy’s, in person. So we started there.

Have you ever purchased a bed online? Macy’s has a Memorial Day sale going on right now.

There are so many new features on some of these beds; “layers”, gel layer, foam layer, etc.

We’re leaning towards Beautyrest or Sealy Posturepedic.

What bed do you have? Do you love it? Please tell me about it.:surfweb:
We just bought Sealys for the guest rooms. Great mattresses at a great price. We have to try em out. No way I'm just ordering one. Note that they're a bit tall on an old style frame. So get the short box if you're going to put it on a standard old style frame with rails. On one of those newer frames, you don't need the box.

Last edited:
We ordered the Disney Pillow Top by Beautyrest, in king size which is the same size that we have right now. Comparing all of the features in the Disney beds to the other Beautyrest mattresses on Macy’s and other web sites, I feel that we got a great deal at $999 + tax💰:thumbsup2
Congratulations glad you got in on the deal. I've slept great on ours. If you liked the pillows at Disney check out Cast Member Linen, between the new mattress and those pillows I'm sleeping great again.
Yep! My husband and I have a king Tuft and Needle Mint mattresses and love it!
I was a bit shocked when I was doing my research that T&N is owned by Simmons, I do think that T&N helped Simmons get better at the online experience down though.

For others, do not buy a mattress without knowing the material of each layer. Low density foam will fail and your warranty won't cover it. If the manufacturer doesn't list the density and material of EVERY layer then stay away

I am in the minority here, but there's no way I'd spend that much money on a mattress without trying it out first- if the stores are letting you, I guess. I'd take a sheet or blanket with me and lay it on the mattress, then stretch out.

Here in Massachusetts, furniture stores are not open at all yet. We've been one of the hardest hit states in the country, especially deaths. :sad1:

Yes. We bought a Novaform mattress from Costco online. We love it! We also got the Novaform topper. Best sleep we ever had.

We bought new mattresses about 2 years ago and there are so many different levels of comfort, it seems you really have to go to a store and try them out. Even among leading brands, there is more to choose from then just price. Comfort level is largely a matter of personal preference and isn't always determined by price. There is also the issue of getting rid of your old mattress and the place we purchased ours included free delivery and disposal of the old one. Large/bulky items can be a challenge to purchase online and the shipping costs could be significant. If trash pickup in your area is like ours, there are a number of items they do not take and disposing of your old mattress can be a challenge. Any large/bulky item we now purchase always includes a discussion with the store about disposal of the item being replaced. Perhaps if you can, you might wait until more of the covid issues are behind us to purchase in-person at a mattress/furniture store.

We bought new mattresses about 2 years ago and there are so many different levels of comfort, it seems you really have to go to a store and try them out. Even among leading brands, there is more to choose from then just price. Comfort level is largely a matter of personal preference and isn't always determined by price. There is also the issue of getting rid of your old mattress and the place we purchased ours included free delivery and disposal of the old one. Large/bulky items can be a challenge to purchase online and the shipping costs could be significant. If trash pickup in your area is like ours, there are a number of items they do not take and disposing of your old mattress can be a challenge. Any large/bulky item we now purchase always includes a discussion with the store about disposal of the item being replaced. Perhaps if you can, you might wait until more of the covid issues are behind us to purchase in-person at a mattress/furniture store.

Hi! :wave2: Usually this company has what they call "White Glove Service" which would include setting up the new mattress and hauling the old mattress away, but as of right now, none of the furniture/mattress stores or delivery companies here in MA are bringing your new mattress inside your house, they're only delivering to your door threshold. And they're not taking the old mattress, either. The delivery cost is included in the price of the mattress. There's a disposal company in the next town over where we will bring our old mattress to dispose of. The cost is $50.

None of this is what we're accustomed to, but it's the way things are, right now. Fortunately we have a large truck that the mattress will fit in so we can get it to the disposal company easily.

We probably would've waited if we didn't feel that we'd be able to make a good decision, and the rate that things are changing back to "normal" here is pretty slow, so we decided to go for it.

I've appreciated all of the comments here! :goodvibes :surfweb: :disrocks:

Our Purple California King just arrived today. I'll let you know how it is. Hubby has back issues and he read about all these types of mattresses. We got the top of the line, and also got one for one of our sons who is also having back troubles.

Congratulations glad you got in on the deal. I've slept great on ours. If you liked the pillows at Disney check out Cast Member Linen, between the new mattress and those pillows I'm sleeping great again.

We were recently in the market for a new mattress so we decided to try buying online with the long trial periods. We tried a Saatva first, and after 30 nights, I was in so much pain we decided to return it. Next we tried a Puffy, which I currently still have, but after 13 nights, the back pain is almost unbearable. I'm strongly considering the Beautyrest Pillowtop. The rep I talked to today said that it is used in Bay Lake Tower, which I have slept in and LOVED. I'm glad to read that you love your mattress!

Which pillows did you get from Cast Member Linen?

I'm glad to read that you love your mattress!

Which pillows did you get from Cast Member Linen?
I really do, I was more hesitant to order online then my wife, but honestly we slept so good during our state at POFQ that I figured why not.

I bought the King Sahara Nights Pillow and I really love those. I've had a My Pillow which was ok, but nothing compared to the ones we got from CML and those were the same brand as what we had at POFQ too.

Here in Massachusetts, furniture stores are not open at all yet. We've been one of the hardest hit states in the country, especially deaths. :sad1:
Furniture stores aren't open here in Maine yet, either. Maybe June 1? My family all lives on Boston's North Shore, and my siblings/nieces/nephews live on the seacoast at the NH/Maine border, so we've been watching Massachusetts pretty closely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter