Buying direct....help

toots82

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone :)

DH and I are looking into purchasing DVC, we were on a tour in May and have been thinking about it for quite a while.

For various reasons we are looking at purchasing direct. When we were there in May we were offered a BLT contract which in hindsight I wish we had taken. Prob was it was only 100 points. If they had a couple of these, would we have been able to purchase 2 contracts from inventory? Loved the Poly model but with 2 kids, a studio is only going to be practical for so long. Prefer 1 beds.

We are going back next year and intend to go back for further info but just trying to figure it all out.

thanks for reading

Yes, you can own more than one contract, although I have heard it is best to get the same Use Year if possible.

Good luck with your purchase.

thank you :) If we bought 1 at blt and 1 at poly, would we only be able to use the blt points there at 11 months and then the rest of the points there at 7 months? So I'd book the 2 accommodations and hope I could combine to 1 at 7 months?

Yes, you would only get home resort booking advantage for the contract at that resort, but nothing to stop you booking both resorts for different periods, tehn trying to switch one at the 7 month mark.

We quite often do split stays anyway, for many reasons (we like to experience different resorts, difficulty getting what we want at 7 month mark, preservation of points especially during high seasons).

Thank you so much. BLT is our fav (my mum owns there) so would love to have a contract there. Staying in SSR next year (which is when we are hoping to sign up) so I have a feeling we may fall in love with that resort going by the pics so that's an option at the 7 month mark (I hear there and OKW are easiest to get). My ideal is 200 BLT points. Our guide says the issue really comes down to waitlist for BLT as if there are some contracts, they have to be offered there first. Wondering if we should ask about being added to the BLT waitlist nearer the time.......I will look into that.

thanks again :)

We have 4 contracts at 3 resorts but we tend to only book at 11 months unless something unexpected happens. We always do split stays in fact I'm not sure i could bring myself to stay at just one resort.

thank you, we quite like getting settled but as the kids are getting older that may change

If you like SSR, then the best option would be to buy SSR resale instead of BLT direct.
You can buy SSR resale for about $75-$80 per point, compared to $170 per point direct at BLT. If you mother own at BLT probably you know about the 11-7 months rule. Getting BLT at 7 months is very hard to impossible for standard view and theme park view, however lake view is often open at 7 months. However you need to be happy to stay at SSR if you cannot get a BLT (or other resort) reservation, it's not a good idea to spend a lot of money for DVC (and tickets, and travel...) and then being stuck at a resort you don't like. When do you travel, usually? Period of the year can make a big difference with availability. For example summer is considered an easy period to book at 7 months and 1bed is usually the easiest room type to get.

BLT can be found resale as well, for significant savings, in the $100-$120 range. In my opinion you don't loose anything of value buying resale.

If you like SSR, then the best option would be to buy SSR resale instead of BLT direct.
You can buy SSR resale for about $75-$80 per point, compared to $170 per point direct at BLT. If you mother own at BLT probably you know about the 11-7 months rule. Getting BLT at 7 months is very hard to impossible for standard view and theme park view, however lake view is often open at 7 months. However you need to be happy to stay at SSR if you cannot get a BLT (or other resort) reservation, it's not a good idea to spend a lot of money for DVC (and tickets, and travel...) and then being stuck at a resort you don't like. When do you travel, usually? Period of the year can make a big difference with availability. For example summer is considered an easy period to book at 7 months and 1bed is usually the easiest room type to get.

BLT can be found resale as well, for significant savings, in the $100-$120 range. In my opinion you don't loose anything of value buying resale.

Hi. thanks for your reply. We typically travel first 2 weeks in October. I'm looking forward to trying SSR next year and will maybe decide more then. We loved the Poly model but a studio just isn't good for us for 2 weeks and they've no 1 beds I believe.

Hi. thanks for your reply. We typically travel first 2 weeks in October. I'm looking forward to trying SSR next year and will maybe decide more then. We loved the Poly model but a studio just isn't good for us for 2 weeks and they've no 1 beds I believe.

No 1bed at the Poly. However they have connecting studios (they're the only resort with that) so it can be an option.
The first two weeks of October are a very busy period for DVC, so it may not be easy to switch to BLT, not sure about that

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!