Buying DVC dilemma

$15 more for an extra 15 years is, in MY opinion, not just reasonable, but amazing, isn't it? If I understand what you're saying, thats just $1 for each extra year isn't it? Considering how prices have skyrocket just the last 8 months isn't that ridiculously cheap? My only regret buying my 2 contracts is that I didn't buy more sooner because the value has really shot up ; D
And it'll go down at some point. Remember this was some time ago and those dollars up front don't count until the end. Basically had one sold and bought an extended contract resale, it would have been in the range I quoted. The real dollar value at the time was in the range I mentioned.

And it'll go down at some point. Remember this was some time ago and those dollars up front don't count until the end. Basically had one sold and bought an extended contract resale, it would have been in the range I quoted. The real dollar value at the time was in the range I mentioned.
Well, I bought at Bay Lake because I believed (and still do) that there is something to gain with the 11 month advantage there; however after considering at first an AKV contract, I instead chose to buy at SSR. My thinking was that since AKV is so big, and the 7 month window there so easy, there was no point in paying the extra MF fees for akv vs SSR; the only disadvantage I thought of was that I lose 3 years (2057 vs 2054 expiration). Anyone think I was wrong?

Well, I bought at Bay Lake because I believed (and still do) that there is something to gain with the 11 month advantage there; however after considering at first an AKV contract, I instead chose to buy at SSR. My thinking was that since AKV is so big, and the 7 month window there so easy, there was no point in paying the extra MF fees for akv vs SSR; the only disadvantage I thought of was that I lose 3 years (2057 vs 2054 expiration). Anyone think I was wrong?
There is benefit to the 11 month window at some resorts more than others and it tends to come with a cost at the higher end resorts. Whether the gain is worth it depends on the individual and how it will be used. IMO SSR is the best value $$$ wise and BLT second with AKV third. IF one will use the specialty items like AKV value, or standard at BLT, BWV, that will add some additional value. How much value a given resort brings totally depends on how one will use it and the specifics of the situation. 3 years worth of RTU at the end really has no meaning, certainly 2042 to 2057 does but it comes with risk and cost.

There is benefit to the 11 month window at some resorts more than others and it tends to come with a cost at the higher end resorts. Whether the gain is worth it depends on the individual and how it will be used. IMO SSR is the best value $$$ wise and BLT second with AKV third. IF one will use the specialty items like AKV value, or standard at BLT, BWV, that will add some additional value. How much value a given resort brings totally depends on how one will use it and the specifics of the situation. 3 years worth of RTU at the end really has no meaning, certainly 2042 to 2057 does but it comes with risk and cost.
"...3 years worth of RTU at the end really has no meaning..." Well, it WILL for me on December 31st, 2054 ; ) As to your opinion, it seems then I bought perfectly (picking #1 and 2 for best value) :)
However, given the availability of AKV at 7 Months, I'm still struggling to understand why AKV commands a higher iintial point price in most cases then SSR given the fact that SSR has cheaper MF's, and loses only 3 years. As to the AKV value chances for 11 month 'home owners', from what I hear (and I could be wrong), it is nearly impossible to grab one even then; there are VERY few of those units in the gigantic AKV complex, so even with the 11 month home advantage, you need to be REALLY fast with your mouse button to snag an AKV value. Does that justify paying those higher MF's every year (and probably higher initial cost PP) for the next 39 years? I think a lot of future value will probably hinge on Disney's transportation system. Right now Disney Springs is a major bus hub which is great for SSR fans, but then there will be the sky gondolas and who knows WHAT else in the future...

"...3 years worth of RTU at the end really has no meaning..." Well, it WILL for me on December 31st, 2054 ; ) As to your opinion, it seems then I bought perfectly (picking #1 and 2 for best value) :)
However, given the availability of AKV at 7 Months, I'm still struggling to understand why AKV commands a higher iintial point price in most cases then SSR given the fact that SSR has cheaper MF's, and loses only 3 years. As to the AKV value chances for 11 month 'home owners', from what I hear (and I could be wrong), it is nearly impossible to grab one even then; there are VERY few of those units in the gigantic AKV complex, so even with the 11 month home advantage, you need to be REALLY fast with your mouse button to snag an AKV value. Does that justify paying those higher MF's every year (and probably higher initial cost PP) for the next 39 years? I think a lot of future value will probably hinge on Disney's transportation system. Right now Disney Springs is a major bus hub which is great for SSR fans, but then there will be the sky gondolas and who knows WHAT else in the future...
You don't know what will be going on in 36 years, from a $$$ value standpoint the difference is negligible. AKV value can add value if one uses it but as you point out it will be difficult to reserve and thus not guaranteed. But one of the things to think about is that owning SSR and using for Standard at AKV is close to the same cost as owning AKV and using for value there. The last time I ran the numbers the crossover between owning SSR and using for AKV standard crosses compared to AKV value, one would have to use value 2/3 of the time to break even and that assumes owning the lower # of points.

You don't know what will be going on in 36 years, from a $$$ value standpoint the difference is negligible. AKV value can add value if one uses it but as you point out it will be difficult to reserve and thus not guaranteed. But one of the things to think about is that owning SSR and using for Standard at AKV is close to the same cost as owning AKV and using for value there. The last time I ran the numbers the crossover between owning SSR and using for AKV standard crosses compared to AKV value, one would have to use value 2/3 of the time to break even and that assumes owning the lower # of points.
..."crossover between owning SSR and using for AKV standard crosses compared to AKV value, one would have to use value 2/3 of the time to break even and that assumes owning the lower # of points..." Wow, you really put a lot of work into this, well done! I suppose that is also true at Bay Lake (using the 11 month home advantage for standard view, vs using 'cheaper' points at another resort to book Lake view or Theme park view at 7 months. I did consider this at Bay Lake, but NOT at AKV Value rooms. Why? because again I based on what I heard about the headache of trying to get those Value rooms. If they are SO difficult to get (even at 11 months), I didn't see how owners could take advantage without a lot of stress each trip. I don't know the exact number of value rooms at AKV vs regular rooms, but I believe it is a very small percent. Still though, I like the idea of paying lower MF's, because over the long term (assuming you don't sell), that is where owners will spend most of their money vs. the initial buy in price, so if you ARE a big AKV fan, why not buy SSR and simply relax without worrying about how you can try to grab those value rooms? Heck, you could even go for Safari view or club level and not have the stress of that 11 month, 'click the mouse fast or miss out' headache?

Theoretical example:
Resort 'A' is $100 a point for 100 points, so while initial cost is 10,000 (not including transaction fees); the MF's are $6 a year ($600 each year) and also increase at 2-4% each year. After roughly 12-14 years or so, wouldn't the MF's have cost you (not adjusting for inflation etc) even MORE than the initial 'buy in' price? If so, imagine owning 20, 30 or 40 years?

Resort B is 115 a point for 100 points, but IT has MF's of $7 a year, also with the same 2-4% annual increases With that in mind, maybe the MF's would be a far greater concern regarding cost, than the initial cost PP?

PS. OOPS! I think I may have reversed my theoretical examples! ; )

Last edited:
..."crossover between owning SSR and using for AKV standard crosses compared to AKV value, one would have to use value 2/3 of the time to break even and that assumes owning the lower # of points..." Wow, you really put a lot of work into this, well done! I suppose that is also true at Bay Lake (using the 11 month home advantage for standard view, vs using 'cheaper' points at another resort to book Lake view or Theme park view at 7 months. I did consider this at Bay Lake, but NOT at AKV Value rooms. Why? because again I based on what I heard about the headache of trying to get those Value rooms. If they are SO difficult to get (even at 11 months), I didn't see how owners could take advantage without a lot of stress each trip. I don't know the exact number of value rooms at AKV vs regular rooms, but I believe it is a very small percent. Still though, I like the idea of paying lower MF's, because over the long term (assuming you don't sell), that is where owners will spend most of their money vs. the initial buy in price, so if you ARE a big AKV fan, why not buy SSR and simply relax without worrying about how you can try to grab those value rooms? Heck, you could even go for Safari view or club level and not have the stress of that 11 month, 'click the mouse fast or miss out' headache?

Theoretical example:
Resort 'A' is $100 a point for 100 points, so while initial cost is 10,000 (not including transaction fees); the MF's are $6 a year ($600 each year) and also increase at 2-4% each year. After roughly 12-14 years or so, wouldn't the MF's have cost you (not adjusting for inflation etc) even MORE than the initial 'buy in' price? If so, imagine owning 20, 30 or 40 years?

Resort B is 115 a point for 100 points, but IT has MF's of $7 a year, also with the same 2-4% annual increases With that in mind, maybe the MF's would be a far greater concern regarding cost, than the initial cost PP?
I haven't run the number for BLT standard for less points compared to SSR for Lake View at BLT for the larger # but I suspect BLT would never be as cheap as SSR but obviously gives other options & benefits. The fees are roughly the same between the 2 so all you'd be saving would be the price for the number of points less you'd need and the price per point considering the TMV/Opportunity Costs. That's roughly 10% less depending on villa size and season. Just $$$ wise you'd never make up the difference but you would have other options & benefits and you couldn't count on getting BLT consistently at 7 months out every time. Obviously this line of thinking doesn't account for the possibility of getting the specialty item (AKV value/BLT standard) part of the time at 7 months out, likely correctly but probably not 100% of time time which could shift the numbers significantly. MF are still the bigger player but when there's a significant difference in price up front, they can be close to the same long term cost. IMO whether to buy DVC is the big decision, after that the other variables are far less dramatic but can be significant.

"... given the availability of AKV at 7 Months, I'm still struggling to understand why AKV commands a higher iintial point price in most cases then SSR given the fact that SSR has cheaper MF's, and loses only 3 years.

Most of this thread is way beyond my ability to understand however the answer to this is simple: AK, within the home reservation window, value accommodations can be reserved at low point cost (lowest - I believe - of all WDW DVC venues) with a better view than standard and some with Savannah views, plus added amenities not available at SSR. We only stay at AK in value accommodations as it's the only justification I can muster to deal with the bus transpo.

Most of this thread is way beyond my ability to understand however the answer to this is simple: AK, within the home reservation window, value accommodations can be reserved at low point cost (lowest - I believe - of all WDW DVC venues) with a better view than standard and some with Savannah views, plus added amenities not available at SSR. We only stay at AK in value accommodations as it's the only justification I can muster to deal with the bus transpo.
"We only stay at AK in value accommodations" - yeah, as I said in THAT case it may make financial sense, but again, anyone know exactly HOW MANY value rooms are in AK? Are they ONLY in Jambo or in Kidani as well? Is it only a handful out of hundreds? If so, I really didn't want the stress every time I vacation of having to log on at 7 am and one second and race everyone for that last value room or risk ruining my vacation.

I believe it's 8 standalone value studios and 10 value 2BR lockoffs. Only at Jambo House.

Not a high percentage play...
Thanks Chalee! Yeah so thats 8 or 10 0ut of how many hundreds of units (including Jambo & Kidani)? Doesn't that mean that if there are more than 10 AK owners at 11 months who attempt a reservation, EVERYONE at number 11 or higher will definitely be shut out? No. not a high percentage play at all.

The 1 bedroom values are easier to get than the studios for those looking to compare 1 BR rather than studio. Another thing to factor in is that the value rooms will be even cheaper come 2019.

The point about the values at AK is good. We've successfully gotten value rooms three times out of the three we've tried. (Only stayed twice as ended up cancelling one.) But they are still one of the hardest gets in the system, even the 1-bedrooms, while somewhat easier, can still be difficult. I think it's a bad idea to base any sort of purchase on "well, I'll only stay value AKV" or "I'll use BWV Standard rooms" etc. My view is getting these rooms should be a "bonus" for stretching points, not a necessity.

The point about the values at AK is good. We've successfully gotten value rooms three times out of the three we've tried. (Only stayed twice as ended up cancelling one.) But they are still one of the hardest gets in the system, even the 1-bedrooms, while somewhat easier, can still be difficult. I think it's a bad idea to base any sort of purchase on "well, I'll only stay value AKV" or "I'll use BWV Standard rooms" etc. My view is getting these rooms should be a "bonus" for stretching points, not a necessity.
The 1BR's are actually quite easy. If you have a look even at the current availability there is a lot available from September through December. Though I do agree that it is best to not buy assuming that the cheapest options will always be available.

The 1BR's are actually quite easy. If you have a look even at the current availability there is a lot available from September through December. Though I do agree that it is best to not buy assuming that the cheapest options will always be available.

I guess - I tried to get a one bedroom for 4 nights in August - tried booking in September and booked first night and last night, but middle two nights were completely elusive, finally gave up when we hit 7 month window - so while I'll agree much more availability than studios (which i said) they are not universally available at 7 months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter