Buying DVC from Disney with bad credit?

I'm not sure how it is over there but in the US "good credit" to most people means a high credit score. Unfortunately all that means is that you've been using credit and paying things on time. Obviously there's somewhat of a continuum but in general one can have good credit, bad credit or no credit. The no credit is the situation you're referring to. As a rule it's the people in the best situation to buy or rent anything but for those companies that only use credit scores, they can be left out. This means some mortgage companies and some rental systems, for example, will foolishly not deal with them. The credit companies don't release their formulas but as a rule it takes about 6-12 months to go from good to no credit if you have no debt (even unused CC), no open accounts, no mortgage, no loans, etc. That assumes nothing bad like foreclosures or bankruptcy. At least that's the info I'm told from a couple of different sources. A quick google search of credit reporting in other countries suggest that often the public companies ONLY report negative information. What I saw says the UK is similar to the US.

I think it might well be. I just remember when we were younger we struggled to get I think it was mobile phones because we had a very low credit score and the reason was we had never used credit ever used cash for everything so now I make sure we both a credit card in our own name and pay it by direct debit so we always have a score

From what I can gather, DVC doesn't turn anyone down; they just ask for more of a down payment. When we joined in January of 2000 we were on our to repairing some pretty poor credit. Instead of 10% down they asked for 30% down. When we did an add on a year later, they accepted 10%. Also, your DVC financing does not show up on credit reports. Good luck.

You will pay a higher interest rate too , I don't think it would be worth it paying 15-20% interest for 10 years .

They say it doesn't show up on your credit report but I saw it on mine .

I think it might well be. I just remember when we were younger we struggled to get I think it was mobile phones because we had a very low credit score and the reason was we had never used credit ever used cash for everything so now I make sure we both a credit card in our own name and pay it by direct debit so we always have a score
I believe for most things here a debit card will function the same as a CC for cell phones and the like, I'd suspect the same for most places but there are likely exceptions. It does pose challenges if you have no credit along the lines I mentioned previously. The difference with the cell phone is you can't talk to the real company or anyone with enough power to make it happen, face to face. The other thing I seem to recall on cell phones is that many also enroll you if you prepay, I think it's a year.

I wanted to add that I don't know what my credit score is. I suspect it's high because we have a couple of CC's we use and pay off monthly simply for convenience. We also have a small HELOC on our previous home that we used to finish out building our home we just moved into, it was cheaper and easier than getting a small mortgage on the new home.

The fico system is pretty screwy , it's sad the entire system is designed to keep you in debt . I paid off my car and my credit score went down .

The fico system is pretty screwy , it's sad the entire system is designed to keep you in debt . I paid off my car and my credit score went down .
In the middle is the worst (bad credit score), if you close a CC, it'll go down as well. If you pay off and close EVERYTHING completely and have no specific bad issues like late payments or worse, it'll go to zero fairly quickly. Even with minor issues it should hit zero within a year or two as long as there are no bankruptcy's or foreclosure type of listings.

In the middle is the worst (bad credit score), if you close a CC, it'll go down as well. If you pay off and close EVERYTHING completely and have no specific bad issues like late payments or worse, it'll go to zero fairly quickly. Even with minor issues it should hit zero within a year or two as long as there are no bankruptcy's or foreclosure type of listings.

I hear there are changes coming to system that would take into consideration people with no credit as good people to lend too .

Mine will likely stay high due to my mortgage but even if it didn't I wouldn't care cause I don't intend to use credit anymore for anything anymore .

You will pay a higher interest rate too , I don't think it would be worth it paying 15-20% interest for 10 years .

This is so interesting to me- doesn't ANY financing show up on your report? I would be shocked to learn otherwise.

I hear there are changes coming to system that would take into consideration people with no credit as good people to lend too .

Mine will likely stay high due to my mortgage but even if it didn't I wouldn't care cause I don't intend to use credit anymore for anything anymore .
I hadn't heard that and since they are secretive with their formula's, it's hard to say. Wow, you really have changed over, did something happen in this arena that you'd share? I recall you stating you financed everything you could. I know there are those out there that believe they can play with OPM and skim off the top but I look at them like an addict, eventually most all hit the wall if they have personal risk. One of the reasons it works in business is you can structure it so that when it doesn't work you simply walk away and the business takes the hit.

This is so interesting to me- doesn't ANY financing show up on your report? I would be shocked to learn otherwise.
No, many times financing doesn't show up (either good or bad) or sometimes only bad items show up. Historically Disney hasn't reported their financing and I doubt those that specialize in timeshare loans do either. I've read many reports of items not showing up and many of things showing up that shouldn't, either not the person in question or inaccurate. Even when you settle a debt with someone that's reported bad credit, they often don't report the resolution.

I suppose I need to pay better attention to specifics on my report and not just the score... I assumed anything you are financing shows up- good or bad. I am truly surprised.
I would be so happy to see a high school course offered to my daughter that really dives into this subject and prepares kids for taking care of their own financial future, a complete ins and outs. I remember a learning about stocks and checking account balancing but I believe that a course on protecting your credit would be so beneficial.

No, many times financing doesn't show up (either good or bad) or sometimes only bad items show up. Historically Disney hasn't reported their financing and I doubt those that specialize in timeshare loans do either. I've read many reports of items not showing up and many of things showing up that shouldn't, either not the person in question or inaccurate. Even when you settle a debt with someone that's reported bad credit, they often don't report the resolution.

I suppose I need to pay better attention to specifics on my report and not just the score... I assumed anything you are financing shows up- good or bad. I am truly surprised.
I would be so happy to see a high school course offered to my daughter that really dives into this subject and prepares kids for taking care of their own financial future, a complete ins and outs. I remember a learning about stocks and checking account balancing but I believe that a course on protecting your credit would be so beneficial.
There are several as I understand it one is called Foundations in Personal Finance. I wish it had been available to my kids also.

Well I was told they didn't report it and hey hold the financing in house , it made sense to me . I also didn't really care but I had life lock and had a very detailed credit report and it was on there .

I hadn't heard that and since they are secretive with their formula's, it's hard to say. Wow, you really have changed over, did something happen in this arena that you'd share? I recall you stating you financed everything you could. I know there are those out there that believe they can play with OPM and skim off the top but I look at them like an addict, eventually most all hit the wall if they have personal risk. One of the reasons it works in business is you can structure it so that when it doesn't work you simply walk away and the business takes the hit.

Nothing really happened , I paid off my wife's car and wanted to invest my car payment , so I started doing my research and found a forum , the first thing they said was to pay off debt before investing . Further research lead me to Dave Ramsey book the "total money makeover " I read it , and bought in hook line and sinker . Been following his plan since may .

Not sure if you know Dave , I didn't . But he has a radio show and he talked about the changes to credit score . He often mentions it's not fair that he can't rent an apartment cause he has no credit score but could buy the entire complex due to the fico system . So he was pretty excited about the changes .

Key reason that I decided to change , was to change my family tree , it's a real driving force when I really think about it

There are several as I understand it one is called Foundations in Personal Finance. I wish it had been available to my kids also.

This is the course Dave Ramsey implemented . I have no doubt I be a millionaire already had I found Dave before I got out of high school . If that course is available your kids should take it .

Oh, thanks! I am going to look into this. What a great way to help set them up for success.

Nothing really happened , I paid off my wife's car and wanted to invest my car payment , so I started doing my research and found a forum , the first thing they said was to pay off debt before investing . Further research lead me to Dave Ramsey book the "total money makeover " I read it , and bought in hook line and sinker . Been following his plan since may .
That's great, I'm really encouraged and proud for you and your family. An additional question though, when you came to that realization did you think of the discussions we had on the subject? If you did think of them, did you kick yourself for having to then agree with me and/or simply wish you'd thought more about the principles involved?

That's great, I'm really encouraged and proud for you and your family. An additional question though, when you came to that realization did you think of the discussions we had on the subject? If you did think of them, did you kick yourself for having to then agree with me and/or simply wish you'd thought more about the principles involved?

Deep down I never thought you were wrong and thought it was good advice but it wasn't what I was looking for . I guess it was just selfishness .

It's funny cause 4 months later I am really sensitive to it now . I see people all the time , and I scratch my head why would they do that , then think that was me 5 months ago lol .

Deep down I never thought you were wrong and thought it was good advice but it wasn't what I was looking for . I guess it was just selfishness .

It's funny cause 4 months later I am really sensitive to it now . I see people all the time , and I scratch my head why would they do that , then think that was me 5 months ago lol .
Thanks for the feedback and follow up. This is about as big of a turn around as I can think of here on DIS. The other situation that comes close are the Kool-Aid drinkers that realized DVC was just a nice timeshare related to some of the issues including reallocation. It was quite amazing to see those who clearly felt Disney could do no wrong come to that realization and often go overboard the other way must like a jilted lover. For many I went from being somewhat anti DVC to a DVC apologist without changing my position one bit.

BestDadEver said:

I am a 'newbie' to these boards and I'm very glad I joined. My husband and I are very much interested in becoming DVC members but our credit score is not so good so I agree that having a high interest rate is ridiculous. You'll never finish paying off that loan or you'll have paid way more than was actually financed. I'm predicting in another year we'll be good credit wise and more than likely go through our credit union for a personal loan.

I wonder how many people on these boards who think they have good credit will continue to have it in the next few years. Since Experian's data breach, I would say that many peoples credit histories are going to be compromised.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter