Buying in at Saratoga/ Boulder Ridge for 7month booking window (1 bedroom stays)

Can any current DVC members share their experiences with booking 1 bedroom villas at the 7 month window? We are thinking about buying in at AKL but the buy in at Saratoga and Boulder Ridge seems a lot cheaper. We need rooms that can sleep 5 and mostly travel in the spring and summer. I know the common advice is own where you want to stay, but if 1br rooms are available at 7mos and we have more points to spend for the same price what are some potential pitfalls?

So, I wouldn't buy CCV if your goal is rooms that sleep 5. Because you will only be able to book 2BRs at CCV, and should you need to use the home resort booking window, you have a pickle. I would never recommend buying somewhere that if booking trends or your own life seasons shift you need home resort, your options are bad.

CCV is hard limit 4 in both studios and 1BRs.

Saratoga, at least, will allow 5 in a 1BR, giving you a solid 11 month option should it be needed. And as a long term purchase, you can't predict if it will be.

Spring and summer for 1 bedrooms should give you some choices. Just now, to stay at CCV with 5, you have to upgrade to a 2 bedrooms.

1 bedrooms there are only for 4. 1 bedrooms seem to go last as they are about double the points as studios, but many times sleep the same.

If you are flexible with dates, then you should be able to stay at other places.

So, I wouldn't buy CCV if your goal is rooms that sleep 5. Because you will only be able to book 2BRs at CCV, and should you need to use the home resort booking window, you have a pickle. I would never recommend buying somewhere that if booking trends or your own life seasons shift you need home resort, your options are bad.

CCV is hard limit 4 in both studios and 1BRs.

Saratoga, at least, will allow 5 in a 1BR, giving you a solid 11 month option should it be needed. And as a long term purchase, you can't predict if it will be.
Spring and summer for 1 bedrooms should give you some choices. Just now, to stay at CCV with 5, you have to upgrade to a 2 bedrooms.

1 bedrooms there are only for 4. 1 bedrooms seem to go last as they are about double the points as studios, but many times sleep the same.

If you are flexible with dates, then you should be able to stay at other places.
I think based on the OP words in their post I think they meant Boulder Ridge or are confusing the two resorts.

To the OP CCV and BRV are significantly different just at the same Deluxe Resort. In your situation I would recommend SSR over BRV (or CCV for the reasons above) simply because the refurb at SSR is adding a 3rd sleeping surface to the 1 beds. Something we can assume will happen with the BRV refresh but that is only a guess. Also SSR standard is very economical (BRV and SSR preferred are similar point levels). Also SSR is cheaper MF and has 12 more years on the contract over BRV. So with the intention to sleep around at the 7 month mark (1 beds are the easiest all year and summer is currently really easy, fall frenzy is somewhat available) SSR makes the most sense.

Im specifically asking if its reasonable to get a 1BR (Savanna or Standard) for about a week at Animal Kingdom Villas at the 7mo mark (understanding that I could never get value or Concierge rooms.) But as an upside I could afford to buy more points at a place like Saratoga and still be able to stay there with little to no hassle or maybe even stay 2BR every once in a while

Im specifically asking if its reasonable to get a 1BR (Savanna or Standard) for about a week at Animal Kingdom Villas at the 7mo mark (understanding that I could never get value or Concierge rooms.) But as an upside I could afford to buy more points at a place like Saratoga and still be able to stay there with little to no hassle or maybe even stay 2BR every once in a while

For a good chunk of the year, especially if you're okay with Kidani. Jambo is harder.

I still won't recommend buying somewhere that lacks units that would serve an 11 month window if needed.

Right, so Boulder Ridge is out... but Saratoga/ OKW would work for the "bargain points"
Well no Boulder Ridge sleeps 5 in Studios and 1 Beds (though the 1 bed you have to provide everything for the 5th guest). I think you might be equating Copper Creek to Boulder Ridge. Both are separate DVC Resorts. Boulder Ridge is older and outside the main lodge in its own building (expires in 2042). Copper Creek is in the main lodge and newer (expires in 2068) but sleeps 4 in a 1 bed and studio only.

At Saratoga and Old Key West the studios sleep 4 but 1 beds sleep 5. At Saratoga the 1 bed has murphy beds (queen one and smaller twin-ish sized one) and Old Key West has a sleeper sofa and twin sleeper chair (similar setup to AKV for sleeping arrangements).

I would recommend SSR for the longer expiration and murphy bed layout in the refurb. OKW (unless you buy direct or get an extended resale contract which are rare) and BRV expire 12 years earlier and don't run much cheaper than SSR point wise, though BRV has a more "optimal" location and layout for some guests.

Also are you buying direct or resale? That really changes the suggestions a bit. Also while AKV might cost a bit more owning there will make your odds of getting standard view much higher and your odds of in Jambo higher. So if buying outside AKV requires you to book Savannah over Standard (if that is what you really want) your savings start to get eaten away.

Well no Boulder Ridge sleeps 5 in Studios and 1 Beds (though the 1 bed you have to provide everything for the 5th guest). I think you might be equating Copper Creek to Boulder Ridge. Both are separate DVC Resorts. Boulder Ridge is older and outside the main lodge in its own building (expires in 2042). Copper Creek is in the main lodge and newer (expires in 2068) but sleeps 4 in a 1 bed and studio only.

At Saratoga and Old Key West the studios sleep 4 but 1 beds sleep 5. At Saratoga the 1 bed has murphy beds (queen one and smaller twin-ish sized one) and Old Key West has a sleeper sofa and twin sleeper chair (similar setup to AKV for sleeping arrangements).

I would recommend SSR for the longer expiration and murphy bed layout in the refurb. OKW (unless you buy direct or get an extended resale contract which are rare) and BRV expire 12 years earlier and don't run much cheaper than SSR point wise, though BRV has a more "optimal" location and layout for some guests.

Also are you buying direct or resale? That really changes the suggestions a bit.
Oh, ok got it, we are specifically looking at DVC for the amenities (and availability) of a 1BR so having a 1BR that accommodates 5 is important to us. I can see the biggest downside to Saratoga as having to bring an air mattress of some sort if we cant book another resort at 7mos... We drive to Disney so that wouldn't be the end of the world.

We are definitely looking to buy resale but are taking our time to do research and saving up for the purchase. We would not be disappointed with spending more points on a Savannah View and we could definitely "settle" for Kidani if it meant saving a bundle up front to own at saratoga

Last edited:
Oh, ok got it, we are specifically looking at DVC for the amenities (and availability) of a 1BR so having a 1BR that accommodates 5 is important to us. I can see the biggest downside to Saratoga as having to bring an air mattress of some sort if we cant book another resort at 7mos... We drive to Disney so that wouldn't be the end of the world.
No the refurbished rooms at Saratoga have sleeping surfaces for 5 in the 1 bed, Boulder Ridge has sleeping surfaces for 4 in the 1 bed but accommodates 5, Copper Creek can only sleep 4 in a 1 bed, Old Key West has sleeping surfaces for 5 in the 1 bed, and Animal Kingdom has sleeping surfaces for 5 in a 1 bed.

Saratoga has an advantage over the ones you mention because all of its sleeping surfaces in the 1 bed will be real mattress once they finish the renovation.

No the refurbished rooms at Saratoga have sleeping surfaces for 5 in the 1 bed, Boulder Ridge has sleeping surfaces for 4 in the 1 bed but accommodates 5, Copper Creek can only sleep 4 in a 1 bed, Old Key West has sleeping surfaces for 5 in the 1 bed, and Animal Kingdom has sleeping surfaces for 5 in a 1 bed.

Saratoga has an advantage over the ones you mention because all of its sleeping surfaces in the 1 bed will be real mattress once they finish the renovation.
Sorry about that yes... I mistakenly put Copper Creek instead of Boulder Ridge (edited the thread title) which in turn caused confusion... mostly to me :crazy:

Also look at this thread for an idea about availability at 7 months.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...-bd-charts-september-2019-2-bd-added.3689931/
Yes, thats the thread that inspired this one, Im just trying to get some more feedback. I know it breaks the "buy where you want to stay" maxim but staying in 1 bedrooms and being able to afford more points seems like a good option especially if we are buying in to stay at AKL (where 1BR availability seems pretty consistent)

Yes, thats the thread that inspired this one, Im just trying to get some more feedback. I know it breaks the "buy where you want to stay" maxim but staying in 1 bedrooms and being able to afford more points seems like a good option especially if we are buying in to stay at AKL (where 1BR availability seems pretty consistent)
I do have a question why not buy Animal Kingdom? The price differential is only $3-8 a point if you are going resale and makes it easier to book Jambo 1 beds, especially Standard View (which availability isn't as free at 7 months for) and those are pool or partial savannah views. It also makes it eaiser to book Standard at Kidani which is cheaper point wise (if you want Kidani for the extra bathroom). Though I guess if you are going direct there is a larger price differential of about $20 a point).

To your actual question 1 bedrooms are best bet for sleeping around though you'll never get Value or Club at AK reliably not owning there (if you wanted to try for them). October to Mid January the 7 month exchange is tighter in all units but 1 bedrooms are the only ones that seem to have reliable opening, especially at larger resorts like Animal Kingdom. More expensive views will generally mean more availability (except Club at Animal Kingdom). Outside of October to Mid January the ability to move, especially a 1 bedroom, is much easier (so with a 1 bedroom you have good reliability). Just remember DVC shifted points from Fall/Winter to Summer so booking patterns could start to change and in 2022 point charts they might move them more.

I do have a question why not buy Animal Kingdom? The price differential is only $3-8 a point if you are going resale and makes it easier to book Jambo 1 beds, especially Standard View (which availability isn't as free at 7 months for) and those are pool or partial savannah views. It also makes it eaiser to book Standard at Kidani which is cheaper point wise (if you want Kidani for the extra bathroom). Though I guess if you are going direct there is a larger price differential of about $20 a point).

To your actual question 1 bedrooms are best bet for sleeping around though you'll never get Value or Club at AK reliably not owning there (if you wanted to try for them). October to Mid January the 7 month exchange is tighter in all units but 1 bedrooms are the only ones that seem to have reliable opening, especially at larger resorts like Animal Kingdom. More expensive views will generally mean more availability (except Club at Animal Kingdom). Outside of October to Mid January the ability to move, especially a 1 bedroom, is much easier (so with a 1 bedroom you have good reliability). Just remember DVC shifted points from Fall/Winter to Summer so booking patterns could start to change and in 2022 point charts they might move them more.
Buying AK was my first instinct... but we have heard of/ met other people who bought Saratoga for the cheaper points and then always stayed in 1BR without ever staying there.

That and a quick glance at the ROFR thread shows Disney not snatching up much in the way of SSR... (obviously thats a small sample size)

Just exploring all of our options since we wont be taking a trip until 2nd half of 2022 at the earliest... we could afford to attempt some lowball offers through ROFR since we have some time on our side.

With that kind of time I would definitely try to get a good deal on a stripped AKL contract first. Second choice would be SSR. JMO

With that kind of time I would definitely try to get a good deal on a stripped AKL contract first. Second choice would be SSR. JMO
Even a stripped contract is going to have a limit on when DVC takes it with ROFR.

Boulder Ridge is easy to get a 1 bed most times of the year at 7 months. Copper Creek is not.
As above, neither currently have sleep surfaces for 5 whereas the new SSR 1 beds are second best on property after Riv with both under TV Murphy and full sofa queen Murphy.
I speculate that the Boulder Ridge refurb which is badly needed, may mirror the SSR refurb set up with beds. But we do not know that for sure yet.
I book one beds consistently. Just got back from an 11 night Xmas and New Year stay at Beach Club and then BLT. Beach Club and especially Boardwalk are usually open at 7 in 1 beds. Had no problem booking 3 nights at the Grand Californian in a 1 bed over summer. 1 bed 7 month availability is in a different ball game to studio, even October to mid Jan although it does tighten then- although you may have Boulder Ridge and you’ll probably have Boardwalk pool and Garden, AKL, SSR, OKW, possibly VGF, even at peak times. I have been able to book AKL value a few times in summer the other year (haven’t looked this past year) have never been able to get concierge. I’ve never had a problem with AKL standard view 1 beds. Have had a Boardwalk standard view in summer in 2018, but that cannot be relied on and neither can Boardwalk view, but no problems with garden or pool view. Beach Club as I say doesn’t seem to be a problem. No guarantees at BLT peak peak times, and it will be a lake view. Copper Creek difficult to get but certainly doable in summer. In summer a Boulder Ridge no problem and it will be preferable over Copper Creek when it’s refurbed.

Last edited:
I bought sleep around points at SSR with intentions to book a 1BR elsewhere. And so far I’ve stayed at BWV during October and I have a VGC booked for this July.
I think the key to this though is flexibility. I’m not sure I would have purchased SSR if my intentions were for a specific room category at a non home resort. DVC have just shifted the points charts and many are guessing it’s not finished yet. Time will tell but with the shift of points may come a shift of booking pattens. DVC members seem to follow the value..

I bought sleep around points at SSR with intentions to book a 1BR elsewhere. And so far I’ve stayed at BWV during October and I have a VGC booked for this July.
I think the key to this though is flexibility. I’m not sure I would have purchased SSR if my intentions were for a specific room category at a non home resort. DVC have just shifted the points charts and many are guessing it’s not finished yet. Time will tell but with the shift of points may come a shift of booking pattens. DVC members seem to follow the value..

I agree with this- if you want a Boardwalk standard or AKL Value, probably a BLT guaranteed, or even Copper Creek every time, buy there. If you are happy to stay in home resort (in fact that will be unlikely to forcibly happen as in 1 beds there has always been a choice of over 4 and I struggle to foresee a scenario where you won’t get SSR, OKW and AKL Kidani, maybe it would be possible for them to go at 7 months a couple of days a year only) and happy to try different resorts and sleep around, the 1 bed points at SSR or AKV are an excellent choice. It gives you massive flexibility- I see all these people stressing about no rooms at 7 months and it simply doesn’t effect me. It’s twice the dues of course, that’s the price high pay but the extra room is well worth it to us at least.
Ironically we are staying in a studio at WDW this summer for the first time, as it’s expensive to stay in the 1 beds at Grand Cali, and I have 3 trips to WDW and that one DL trip this year, so have switched to points conservation mode for the 4 nights I am at WDW in summer. I got a Boardwalk Studio, then decided to go with Copper Creek instead. So it is possible to score sought after studios as well in quieter DVC times, and you could have a strategy that you’ll stay in 1 beds, but if a good studio does come up you could bag that and rent the remaining points which will basically give you a free vacation that year as it will cover all your dues. I know a few people do this regularly and treat the 1 bed as insurance so to speak. Not for us though as we love our one beds and I have some reservations about ‘roughing it’ crammed in that CCV studio this summer.
Whilst you can always sell the points and rebuy as necessary, it’s always worth thinking about long term future when buying any DVC but very much so with the 1 bed sleep around strategy. So when the kids grow up and leave, will you still want the one bed? Personally I think I’d rather go for a month at say the end of February and stay in studios then a lot of the time, rather than 2 weeks in a 1 bed. I’ve thought about this and think our preferable resort then when we are without kids might well be SSR with its low points, access to Disney Springs etc. I’m thinking we will come and basically book it for a month, maybe punctuated with a trip over to Vero, or picking up some nights elsewhere for a change of scenery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter