buying into DVC through Resale?

kacale

Mouseketeer
Has anybody had experience.....good or bad.....about joining DVC through a resale.
I am particularly interested in this from someone from the UK
side of the pond!!!

Karen

Sorry Karen, I can't help, but I'm sure there are a couple of posters here who have bought resales. Hopefully they'll be along to answer your query soon.

I bought direct from Disney but I think if I were to be considering it now I would certainly look into a resale. It is important to take into consideration what closing costs etc are involved as this could change the economics of a resale, IMHO for smaller packages any savings could be eaten up in costs. I think any sale of less than 150 points it's going to be better to buy direct from Disney, it's really above 250 points where it makes the most sense ( but that does depend on the package) depending on your circumstance it might be better to look at a package with points banked that costs slightly more, or it may suit to pay less for a package that has already used up all the points of that year. My own view is that a realistic "value" for extra/less points is somewhere in the region of $6-7 per point.

Buying through one of the reputable resale agents , shouldn't be any different for a UK buyer than it is for someone from theUS. .

Hi
I purchased a resale interest in Old key West last Summer through the Timeshare Store - quite easy, no problems, What do you want to know ?
Chris

Thanks for the reply.

I guess mainly I want to know whether buying a resale was fairly easy and who you would recommend we use to do this. How long did it take roughly and are you treated the same by Disney once the resale goes through.

Karen

We were looking at resales, but in the end brought a top up via Disney we had 300 points at Vero and whilst on the disney cruise purchased 150 at wilderness lodge. We decided to go with Disney for pure ease and we couldn't find the resale eaxactly what we wanted but to be honest we still really need 100 to 150 points which I am still looking out for resales. We seem to go through our points so quickly. I guess the only disadvantage to having so many points is the dues, what I would say to look out for arrears with dues etc from purchasing resales.

Have fun finding what you want.

Once you're a member there is no difference in how you're treated , it doesn't matter if you buy from Disney or a resale.

Hi
We purchased through timeshare store - most common place for resale.
http://www.disneyinfo.com/timeshare/dvclisting.cfm
Link above
Resale is only way to buy for "sold out resort" ie Old key West and Boardwalk.

The advantage of these resorts is that you tend to get more for your points as newer resorts tend to cost more for a week but you should really buy where you want to stay. eg we are going in early 12.2002 for our 1st trip home - cost 160 points in studio in OKW our home resort, a studio at Wilderness lodge villas will cost 210 points for same time. (2 weeks)

Our agent was Shontell Crawford.
We chose a likely purchase on the website above & then e-mailed to find out more details.
In addition to the basic price there are closing costs to pay but we negotiated (commonly done) for the seller to pay these.
We Offered about $65 per point with seller to pay closing costs ($500)
This was accepted and the rest was settled with a couple of faxes and the money was wired through a closing agent so that it is secure. They will ask for an extra amount for bank charges but our english bank was able to do this for us more cheaply.
It may be possible to buy cheaper - I see some on sale there now for $60 but you also need to consider the points currently available.
If the owner has used all the points for the following year then you should of course pay less.
You also need to clarify who pays the dues.
We bought in the Summer - 3-4 months into our use year and the owners had used all of the points. We therefore agreed that the sellers would pay all of the annual dues for 2001.

We got our full pack from Disney on completion and our membership card which says we have been members since 1995 - as this refers to the start of the original contract.

Resale Vs Direct Purchase.

1. Resale - only way to get sold out resorts
2. Can get good deal - direct purchase soon to be $80 per point
3. Hassle - some people may find it easier to buy direct from disney - but I found a resale very straightforward having never done anything like this before.
4. Treated NO differently by disney after completion.
5. Time - 3 months from decision to buy to closing - slightl delayed by us being away 2 weeks

Any more questions, fire away!

PS
Time to completion - missed that one
It took us about 2.5-3mths from deciding to buy to completion.
Regards
Chris

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!