Buying on Tuesday and need help!

tbehrens

Earning My Ears
So I’m not sure if this the right place to ask but I’m going to shoot. Me and my fiancé have booked Beach club for our honey moon 7-09-18 to 7/18/19 through Disney’s website. After looking into it more we decided that it would make more sense to buy into DVC at CCV. We have a phone call scheduled for Tuesday and want to make it final. My question is, what are the chances of us even being able to book something for those July dates? And do you know if they are able to transfer the current reservation (cash) over to points and keep it?

The BC (hotel) is not available for points. The BCV (DVC resort ) is currently sold out for your dates in a studio, and there are only two nights available in a 1 bedroom during that time frame.

Even if your reservation now is for the BCV, it cannot be converted to points from cash. Cash & points rooms come from separate inventories.

If you would be OK with staying at CCV for your honeymoon, you could make getting the first reservation part of your purchase agreement. That shouldn't be a problem.

FWIW, I hope you are not rushing into this decision. It is a large purchase and many newlyweds have higher priorities than locking in future vacations. Are you sure CCV is where you want to stay most often? If not, have you looked into resale? Feel free to ignore me as you didn't ask for advice and I have made several assumptions based on the little you posted. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

Think very seriously about Carol's advice. If your lifelong dream has been yearly stays at WL, then CCV purchasing is probably worth it. Any other background, though, such as BC being your dream honeymoon location, wanting to buy a house or new car soon, etc, means you should hold off and think about your options. If DVC ownership is important to you, make sure CCV is where you want to be attached to, as the resale market for all other resorts is also a fine option.

And do you know if they are able to transfer the current reservation (cash) over to points and keep it?

I've read threads in the past where DVC applied the amount of the current vacation towards the purchase price, but haven't seen anyone reporting that in a loooong time. I agree with the above posters, that if you really want CCV, then buy there. They will absolutely have a room for you (DVC still owns more than half of the points currently). Also wanted to add that the cabins are very romantic for honeymoon purposes :love:

I've read threads in the past where DVC applied the amount of the current vacation towards the purchase price, but haven't seen anyone reporting that in a loooong time.

In 2012, they were giving a straight $1600 applied to the purchase no matter which resort you were staying at. So, if you were staying at All-star music for a few days and it was less than $1600, you still received the full amount.

So I’m not sure if this the right place to ask but I’m going to shoot. Me and my fiancé have booked Beach club for our honey moon 7-09-18 to 7/18/19 through Disney’s website. After looking into it more we decided that it would make more sense to buy into DVC at CCV. We have a phone call scheduled for Tuesday and want to make it final. My question is, what are the chances of us even being able to book something for those July dates? And do you know if they are able to transfer the current reservation (cash) over to points and keep it?
I agree with other opinions posted here, but also think buying early is a great idea! If I could turn back time and buy into DVC before my first reservation I would definitely have done it. That being said, there is a lot to consider before taking the plunge. I would DEFINITELY mention to your guide that you want your current dates using DVC points. You are in a position of power (somewhat) BEFORE buying, so I would make that a stipulation. Apart from that, you should consider UY and resort before taking the plunge. Also look at resale. Many things to take into consideration, so I'd say take a lot of time to ask questions today; very good information here!!

I've bought into DVC 3 times. And I wish I had had the funds to buy it all at the start! But alas I did not. My first purchase was in 2009. My last purchase was in 2016. All has been with Animal Kingdom. We travel with a big group usually (10-12 people), so AK is important to me because the points are pretty economical across the portfolio and at the 11 month mark, I can almost always guarantee any room that I want - be it 3-person suite or Studio. My point in saying that - you need to think about your long-term use cases for where you want to buy. Does the resort you want to buy into have the flexibility that you need as your family grows and changes? It can be a pain to travel from AK sometimes to all the parks, but we've always been able to find a room when we pre-plan.

When you go to buy your points, have a discussion about when you are traveling and changing your reservation from your current resort to a points resort with DVC. Because you are still in the purchasing phase - DVC sales reps almost always have access to inventory to do that for you. But you must do it on purchase, not a few weeks later.

I am jealous about CCV. It's the first time I've considered selling my points and buying a new resort. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Also - I personally made the choice not to go resale. I initially bought into DVC twice before the rules got a lot tighter regarding what you can do with DVC points depending on how they were purchased. For me I didn't want my third set of points to have mixed restrictions - truly personal preference because I have used them to cruise. But with current resale pricing versus current costs per points, it makes a lot of sense to do a cost break-even analysis.

Last edited:

When we bought CCV, we didn't have to include anything in the purchase agreement about guaranteeing a specific reservation. I did ask about the "welcome home" booking and they said it would not be a problem and can be at any of the DVC resorts, not just your home resort, as long as there is availability. Several weeks later I called MS and asked them to help me book our "welcome home" booking for a studio at the Poly since we were interested in staying there once and there was no availability on the RAT. We didn't have any issues since there was still cash booking available for our dates (<7 months out). So I'm not sure you need to have anything done at time of purchase, but it doesn't hurt to ask your guide about your situation and the dates you are looking at.

As long as you know what you are buying, the rules, policies, pros and cons of ownership, go for it. You also need to know which resort is your favorite and which UY will work best for your normal vacation periods. I guess you also need to do the numbers to see if resale is a greater savings and ask yourself why you didn't rent a reservation from a DVC owner for your BC stay.

:earsboy: Bill

So what's the final verdict? Was it a buy?

Thanks everyone for all the responses, we took everything into consideration! They were great and able to transfer our current reservation at Beach over for us! IT WAS A BUY!!!!
Welcome Home!
Did you buy at Copper Creek?

Congratulations and Welcome Home!!!

Thank you! Yes we bought at Copper Creek!

So did they transfer your BC reservation to a BC DVC room with your new CCV points? Just curious as i am sure there might be others out there who might be in the same situation.

Congratulations and Welcome Home!!!

So did they transfer your BC reservation to a BC DVC room with your new CCV points? Just curious as i am sure there might be others out there who might be in the same situation.

Yes they were able to transfer over to a BC DVC room. The only qualifications for having to do it were to make sure that the reservation had no dining plan attached to it (we called and removed it) and that it was not paid off in full yet!

Yes they were able to transfer over to a BC DVC room. The only qualifications for having to do it were to make sure that the reservation had no dining plan attached to it (we called and removed it) and that it was not paid off in full yet!
Great choice IMO!

and that it was not paid off in full yet!
Now that you are a DVC owner most do not go with the dining plan because you can get dining discounts at many locations and if you want even more savings you can buy the tables in wonderland card (this is a help if you are traveling with a larger party because the DVC discount is only good for the member and 3 other guests)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!