Buying Points at New Resorts - Less than 150?

DVCLiz

<font color=00cc00>That's me - proud defender of t
When SSR opened, did everyone have to buy a minimum of 150 points, or could DVC owners get smaller contracts? What will be the procedure for the next DVC, do you think?

Current DVC owners can add on with as little as 25 points, I think you need 50 to finance.

DVCLiz said:
When SSR opened, did everyone have to buy a minimum of 150 points, or could DVC owners get smaller contracts? What will be the procedure for the next DVC, do you think?

Originally, in 1992, the minimum purchase was 230 points. It was then lowered to 210, then to 190, and finally to it's current 150 points. So anyone who was not a current member at the time, had to buy the then minimum number of points.

Once someone is a member, the minimum has always been 25 points for an add-on purchase. (50 if using Disney financing).

So, when SSR opened, existing members could purchase anything from 25 points on up.

The procedure has been the same for additional resort as it opened, from VB to SSR. There is no reason to expect it would be any different for the next resort.

Thanks - I knew it was 25 points for current owners at other resorts, but wasn't sure if the brand newest one had a different rule - glad to hear that!!

Something to think about - if they do add a DVC to Contemporary, Grand Floridian, or Poly; chances are really good that the point chart for said resort would very different from the current ones.

Our additional guide Susie flat out said that a Grand Floridian DVC would have much higher point cost per night than OKW and SSR. So at the very least point costs are being talked about for a new DVC.

Buit if the cost per night is more points would they raise the minimum amount of points to buy for that resort only?

DISCLAIMER! - Susie did NOT say the next DVC would be at GF, it was just an example, but she did use GF, Poly, and Contemp as possible new sites.

Note that while the minimum has been 25/50, there has always been a pretty good incentive when a new resort goes on sale, and the incentive always required a higher number of points. For VWL, BCV, and SSR, the incentive minimum was 100 points. For subsequent incentives at SSR, the incentive minimum was even higher.

flechette said:
Something to think about - if they do add a DVC to Contemporary, Grand Floridian, or Poly; chances are really good that the point chart for said resort would very different from the current ones.

Our additional guide Susie flat out said that a Grand Floridian DVC would have much higher point cost per night than OKW and SSR. So at the very least point costs are being talked about for a new DVC.

Buit if the cost per night is more points would they raise the minimum amount of points to buy for that resort only?

DISCLAIMER! - Susie did NOT say the next DVC would be at GF, it was just an example, but she did use GF, Poly, and Contemp as possible new sites. .

BWV preferred, BCV, VWL are all higher points per night than OKW or SSR. Whether a monorail DVC would be higher than those, I don't know. I doubt they would raise the minimum points required unless 1 night in a studio is more than 25 (doubtful).

DebbieB said:
BWV preferred, BCV, VWL are all higher points per night than OKW or SSR. Whether a monorail DVC would be higher than those, I don't know. I doubt they would raise the minimum points required unless 1 night in a studio is more than 25 (doubtful).

It's hard to recap since I didn't tape the session :teeth: and as always, things are subject to change , and hard to recall.... :rolleyes2 but I'm positive she said GF or a monorail resort would cost a LOT more points than anything currently on the table particularly SSR and OKW.

I'll have to grab hubby and double check with his memory ;)

As best I remember

Susie had the point chart out and flicked her hand over it as if to dismiss it while she was talking about future point costs for new resorts. She pointed out that OKW being the first built- had the lowest point cost and that Disney "fiddled" with points for each resort as it was built. We wandered from the point for a few minutes and then it went something like.... "a GF DVC - that's not going to be like any chart here - (waves hand over chart) Something like that or a monorail based DVC is going to be A LOT more points than OKW or SSR"

The emphasis may just have been because we had already stated that those 2 were our preferred home resorts when we do buy, we're not interested in VWL, BWV, or BCV.

If Disney does market the next resort as DVC II - and if the points per night turn out to be significantly more a night than the current resorts - then I can see that the minimum points required could go up for those resorts.

However that's an awful lot of if's or maybes there - isn't it? :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!