Buying site unseen

skorpie

Love the magic
My husband and I had the "talk" last night about DVC. He is willing to go the next step which is at least watch the video and read the literature!(For him that's a BIG step!) Since neither of us has seen any of the villas, how does BWV compare to OKW? I like the thought of having larger units like OKW, the BWV sound like a great location but perhaps a little busy, or even the AKV whichseem to have small rooms. We really like Epcot and the BWV seem very convenient. I just don't know. I also understand that we'd need to find BWV as a resale. Financing is also and issue. I guess as resales we'd have to find our own financing -care to share ideas on how you got yours? DVC seems easy because you can finance though them but they are expensive as $75 per point! HELP! (Sorry I was rambling!)

Personally, with my car parked right outside my unit at OKW, you are right next to everything. There is nothing that is more than eight minutes away.

The VWL, BCV and BWV all have the same tiny units. They have no dining area and a tiny kitchen. Even the two bedroom has no place to seat more that three people, its actually pretty ridiculous.

For a vacation that you never plan to be in your room, BWV are great. You won't need to cook or eat in your room, you will only be sleeping there. You can walk to Epcot and MGM, the boardwalk area itself is fun.

If you want a lazy Sunday brunch in your unit, or spend an evening in with family you haven't seen in years, or sit around, play JENGA and have a night in, OKW wins hands down.

It seems OKW and BWV are two very different resorts (I can't comment. I've only stayed at BWV). I think you should make a list of your likes and dislikes about each and then decide wich is for you. BUT, first you will have to decide if DVC is for you. You said you had to talk your DH into watching the video. Before you worry about the resort you want to buy... think about if it's for you (both).
  1. Have you stayed at WDW?
  2. How often do you go to WDW?
  3. Will it make sense for you financially?
  4. Do you BOTH get the Disney thing? (My DW likes WDW but is not a WDW NUT like me)
  5. Any other number of questions you can ask yourselves??? (I'm sure you'll get a few here)
    [/list=1]

Good luck in your decision but I wouldn't push too much buying site unseen. You could always do the tour next time you visit. or... Stay at one or all DVC resorts next visit, renting points.

We just bought 210 pts at OKW and the way we purchased our points was to re-fiance our home.

With the rates dropping AGAIN! yeah... we were able to refiance our home and adding the $12,xxx to the amount that we refianced to pay for the DVC. That way the amount of our house payment is actually going down a bit and we are gaining a Disney vacation every year.

Keep us posted!

I think calling the units at BWV "tiny" is a bit of an overexaggeration. Realize that at minimum, those tiny units are the same size as the largest regular hotel room anywhere else on property (which average close to $400/night rack rate). A 1br unit is twice that size and a 2br unit is about 3x that size. For us, the luxury of even a studio 3-4 times a year is more than we ever thought we'd be able to afford. A larger unit is just complete heaven.

As far as those units not having a dining area, they do. Perhaps Rich thinks they are too small, but they are there. You should check out the floor plans of the various room layouts on the dvc website so that you can see for yourself what the layout is.

I also disagree that BWV rooms are only good for sleeping. If I was only interested in sleeping I'd save myself even more money and stay offsite for $20/night. We recently took a trip where we invited some friends along and we had a great time playing games, watching movies and having dinner in the 2 bedroom unit. Some nights we just hung out around the boardwalk, had an icecream, and watched the buskers.

Other times we were able to walk back to our room from Illuminations without having to make our way all the way to the front of Epcot with the masses, wait for a tram or walk back to the car and then drive that short 8 minute drive back to OKW... we could just stroll away from the crowds and be home in 5 minutes.

I definately think that unless you are intending to buy direct from Disney that you should visit all of the various options before making your decision. For us, BWV is quite luxurious and we love the atmosphere. We bought into DVC JUST so we could stay at the BW all the time. You really need to figure out what your own personal priorities are and purchase based on those. I've read too many people who have bought at one resort sight unseen and then later decide they like another resort better. For me, the purchase decision is just too important to make without visiting all of the available options and getting to know for myself what works for me and what doesn't.

Lisa

I must agree w/ Lisa, We have stayed at OKW...some people have referred to this as the retirement home. Hubby doesn't like OKW at all, he finds it TOO relaxing for him and out of the way. He doesn't like to drive anywhere once we've arrived at the World. We recently stayed at Wilderness Lodge and again, he found it a little too quiet for him. One evening it took us 45 minutes to go to DTD to get an icecream. You couldn't just stroll along the Wilderness Lodge to get one. At OKW, you would have to drive your car or take a bus. It made us appreciate our Home at the Boardwalk all the more and my DH is insistent that thats where we will stay, NO MORE TRYING the other DVC properties. At least at the BW you can people watch, take a stroll, my DD who is 3 doesn't need to be as quiet ;) etc. One piece of advice, check it out first. Buy where you think you want to stay. Another thing to keep in mind, OKW is HUGE, its alot easier to get ressies 7 mos out there then at BWV and possibly eventually VWL.

Thanks to all who posted! We just got done watching the video and we still have a lot to discuss. I can see eveyone's point(Maybe it's because I'm a Libra!) We need to prioritize and then make our decision. I wish we had enough money to pack up next weekend and go DVC "shopping"!!!! It would be interesting to spend time at WDW doing only that!!! Thanks!

Cmon Rich, you know they have a dining area, it's that little round table thrown in between the sleeper sofa and the door to the bedroom

Everyone's tastes are different. My wife and I discussed the whether to buy into BWV or OKW before we bought. Personally, I saw the benefits of both. However, my wife wanted a place that was more away from the action that she could relax at. We hadn't actually been to either place before buying, but we had read quite a bit about both places here before deciding. On our first trip we went to the BoardWalk and decided that although it is a great place to visit, it wasn't a place that we would want to stay at regularly. So, we were very happy with the decision that we made.

Now if there was only a way to get walking distance to the parks, large units, and a relaxing, quiet atmosphere, that would be perfect.

If you have been assigned a DVC guide, call that person and ask about the availability of a discount on a room at one or the other resorts. When we were trying to decide, our guide got us a discounted rate, and we stayed at OKW to check it out. We only stayed in a studio, but thought it was wonderful and purchased there on that information. After joining, we stayed in a 1 BR, and now will never go back to a studio! We too discovered that, although we really like Epcot and MGM, we did not particularily like the hustle and bustle of BWV, and really hated the parking there. We always stay at our OKW home, and don't mind taking the bus system to the parks. It gives us a little down time to relax. We do usually use our car if we travel to some of the other resort for dinner. Getting between resorts on the bus system is not efficient no matter where you stay.

Now, let's see...BWV rooms are so tiny you only want to stay in them to sleep and OKW is a gigantic resort located somewhere in the Everglades where children are not allowed to make noise. Why would anyone ever purchase DVC? ;)

OKW and BWV offer you two fabulous ways to vacation at WDW and the beauty is that you can trade off from time to time to enjoy the best of both. OKW units are substantially larger and more luxury condo like. You get the beauty of the golf course and the wildlife who come out to give you a break from the parks. Yet, as Rich says you are no more than 8 minutes from anything in WDW. I've also never had more than a 10 minute walk from any unit to the front and if you tire of walking you can hop on any bus to get you to the front. There are buses and boats to DD and it is less than 5 minutes by car. You can drive to BWV in about 5 minutes, park with the valet and walk to Epcot and then come back and enjoy the Boardwalk area.

BWV is a beautiful luxury hotel like resort but also offers far more space than any hotel room and with the 1 bedroom and up all the convenience of in-room kitchens and w/d. You are within walking distance of two parks and the family can more easily split up and re-group.

(FYI -- I recently read that the buskers have been discontinued. I don't have any official confirmation but someone got an e-mail from one performer saying goodbye. )

Haven't been to VWL yet but I'm sure I'll find something special about them as well.

Say it ain't so!!!
(FYI -- I recently read that the buskers have been discontinued. I don't have any official confirmation but someone got an e-mail from one performer saying goodbye. )
Is this Fearless Freddy and Brian with Miss Peapod who perform on the BW?
My kids (and I) loved them.
Is there another act?
Anyone with info please let us know.
:mad:

DVCDudes -- This is what was posted on the AOL site

I received an email today from Amazing John, one of the Boardwalk Buskers, who said their last show would be June 14th. The Buskers are a great family show with Amazing John doing tricks, Miss Peapod spins plates and Randy juggles. The shows usually started after Epcot closed in front of the dock by the Boardwalk Inn. Catch a show if you are there before June 14th. Another piece of Disney magic gone!!

When I was at Vero Beach this month, one of the guides was talking about when you buy your points, Disney can buy half of your first years points back from you in order to save you some considerable money. I think it dropped the cost something like ten dollars a point. Other people on this board can probably explain it better than I and whether this would work for you but it might enable you to take that trip in person to decide. I know I would never have been able to choose if I had been doing it from home.

If your not sure which resort to buy, pop on over to the rent / trade board and go visit a resort at a great rental price. You could arrange your stay so that you spent part of your time at the out of the way, have to take a bus or car to everything, OKW retirement home and part and the action packed, luxury, centrally located, boat accessible transport system available at the beautiful first class Boardwalk Villas.

Also, check out the pool and notice which one has a lifegaurd and a slide.......

Seriously, visit each to find out, and by using rental points, you'll be getting a great vacation at a great price with nothing left to loose. Heck, you could even just rent points now and then..... But you owe it to yourself to see them in person before making a decision to avoid making one you may not be happy with. It is a lot of money, at least for us.

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

My dh was one who referred to OKW as "the retirement village" when we stayed there....and when I read him one of PamOKW's comments that "from how many describe it you'd think OKW was somewhere near Jacksonville" (paraphrasing....from a thread long ago when we were deciding which resort) he laughed and said "yeah, it feels like it is!". Basically though, its just not to his taste...he wants action and he doesn't want to drive.

We now own at BWV and VWL. Though we have yet to see the VWL in person we really loved visiting the WL for the character breakfast a couple years ago. The Boardwalk is where we mainly want to be- right in the middle of the action in a beautiful luxury hotel.

There are certain instances I'd want to stay at OKW.....and I've brought up the suggestion that we look for a resale there eventually just so we can reserve a GV and take family every few years in addition to our trips alone. I think if you're bringing a fairly large group of people you don't really want to be in close quarters with for any amount of time OKW is the place! And it is really beautiful and laid back....perfect for someone who wants that. I am very glad that we rented points for a one night stay at OKW before joining, because that stay made us very sure we wanted our home to be BWV.

After reading all the posts, I'm going to try and talk my husband into a quick trip this July and possibly try to stay in one of the DVC villas. We would go with the intention of seeing all the resorts before buying., I just hope my reluctant hubby will agree to a quick trip! Coming from the north airfare is always another factor to consider! Thanks for eveveryone's opinions! We've also begun the process of getting a home equity loan so it's only a matter of time before we become members!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter