BWV: walking time to MGM? / Epcot?

I measured my map, and added those distances to the map web page:
http://mosa.unity.ncsu.edu/photos/misc/epcotdvc.html

Note that these are estimates assuming the map is to perfect scale. My numbers seem to come out longer than Caskbill's GPS measurements, so I'd be inclined to believe him better than the map. Nonetheless, they should be good for giving you the relative distances, anyway.

BCV to Epcot Intl Gate -- 0.31 mi
BCV to BC Dock -- 0.29 mi
BCV to BW Dock -- 0.43 mi
BCV to BWV -- 0.47 mi
BCV to MGM Gate -- 1.21 mi
Inside BCV: Lot end to Lobby -- 0.11 mi
Inside BWV: Lot end to Elevator -- 0.13 mi
Inside BWV: Jellyrolls end to Elevator -- 0.10 mi
BWV to BW Dock -- 0.07 mi
BWV to Epcot Intl Gate -- 0.42 mi
BWV to MGM Gate -- 0.74 mi
MGM Dock to MGM Gate -- 0.11 mi
MGM Tram Dropoff to MGM Gate -- 0.09 mi
MGM Gate to Epcot Intl Gate -- 1.16 mi
In Epcot: Main Gate to Intl Gate -- 0.60 mi
In Epcot: Loop around World Showcase Lagoon -- 1.03 mi

Items of note:
- BCV is almost equally far from the BC boat dock as it is from the Epcot Intl Gate (0.3 mi each)
- BWV is a long walk (0.42 mi) to Epcot, longer (0.74 mi) to MGM, but very short (0.07 mi) to the dock.
- At MGM, the walk from the trams to the gate, and the walk from the boat to the gate are nearly the same (0.1 mi).
- Epcot is large, even compared to the distances from the resorts to the parks. So no matter how you get there, by boat or on foot, you still have a lot of walking ahead of you.
- BWV is a little more than twice as long as BCV. But, the elevators are roughly in the middle, so the worst walk in BWV is not much worse than the worst walk to the lobby in BCV.

shantay1008 said:
Well, I think the OP was wondering about how long the walk is. Sometimes people have physical reasons for not being able to walk long distances. Right now we like the walk, but at the end of our contract, we might not be so excited about it!

I agree that coming back after Illuminations or an evening in the World Showcase is the best!
Shannon

Definitely and it's very pleasant when the weather is nice and a long walk when it's hot, humid or fixing to storm. Be there, done that and boy I wished I had taken the boat. Once you commit to the walk to MGM and it starts raining there just is no where to go but keep going. If it even looks like rain, don't walk. :thumbsup2

Caskbill said:
Mathematically, from the front steps of BWV to MGM, at a brisk pace is about 13 minutes, at a normal walk about 16 minutes, and at a kids pace, about 20 minutes.
From BWV front entrance to Epcot's I.G., it's 8-1/2 minutes normal, just over 7 minutes brisk, or 11 minutes at kids pace.
Interesting.... Why does it seem longer than that? Caskbill can you modify the calculation to allow for 1 pokey child, 1 neverending energy child and 1 tired mom pushing a stroller? ;)

Tinky said:
Interesting.... Why does it seem longer than that? Caskbill can you modify the calculation to allow for 1 pokey child, 1 neverending energy child and 1 tired mom pushing a stroller? ;)
Sure can, it's a simple calculation:

Let's see....
1 pokey child. Check!

1 neverending energy child, obviously going left, right, and back more often than going forward in the direction you want to travel. Check!

1 mom with stroller. Check!

And the calculator says, the time to get there is......."Forever".

Ha! :rotfl: :rotfl:
Thank you Mr.Wizard! You are perfectly on target as usual!! ;)

I love to take the boats, to me they are relaxing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!