BYOS bring your own straw (Disney removing straws and more in 2019)

I don’t think I implied anywhere that I wouldn’t follow Disney’s rules. As I as I know Disney won’t be providing plastic straws in their parks, hotels, and cruise ships. I didn’t read anywhere that they are banning them outright. If they did then I’ll find another way to deal with it. I can certainly understand why they wouldn’t want plastics straws, cups, etc at animal kingdom. I just don’t think someone should criticize someone else if their personal preference is to use a plastic straw.

Well I'm not criticizing. Just saying that while it is your preference, if Disney goes the full commitment and says they can't be used then another plan will be needed. It's just like the folks who go to GR and ask for a DAS because they tire easily. GR tells them rent a wheelchair or ECV. Guest says that is not their preference. GR will say that is the only option they offer because it works best for their operations.

I get it. I have a considerably handicapped son that has meant large portions of our lives, vacations etc have to adjusted and all needs dealt with. My thought process is more about it's not Disney's job to solve our issues, therefore we have Plans B and C. We are going on a cruise in November and I am shopping for the best reusable straws for us (they come with cleaners). Not just for him but because I prefer to not drink directly out of shared glasses. Will it be a pain? Yes. But it's what we have to do.

Personally I would not be surprised to see them ban the plastic straws, they already are at AK. It's counterproductive to say you feel strong enough to not offer .... but still let them be used and placed in their trash. I was just saying I would not be surprised to see a full ban at some point, and I would understand why. And I'll have my backup plans even if it's carrying my own bottle/cup and just pouring my drink in OR bring my own bottles of water and not buy Disney drinks. Lots of options.

Well I'm not criticizing. Just saying that while it is your preference, if Disney goes the full commitment and says they can't be used then another plan will be needed. It's just like the folks who go to GR and ask for a DAS because they tire easily. GR tells them rent a wheelchair or ECV. Guest says that is not their preference. GR will say that is the only option they offer because it works best for their operations.

I get it. I have a considerably handicapped son that has meant large portions of our lives, vacations etc have to adjusted and all needs dealt with. My thought process is more about it's not Disney's job to solve our issues, therefore we have Plans B and C. We are going on a cruise in November and I am shopping for the best reusable straws for us (they come with cleaners). Not just for him but because I prefer to not drink directly out of shared glasses. Will it be a pain? Yes. But it's what we have to do.

Personally I would not be surprised to see them ban the plastic straws, they already are at AK. It's counterproductive to say you feel strong enough to not offer .... but still let them be used and placed in their trash. I was just saying I would not be surprised to see a full ban at some point, and I would understand why. And I'll have my backup plans even if it's carrying my own bottle/cup and just pouring my drink in OR bring my own bottles of water and not buy Disney drinks. Lots of options.

If Disney decides they want to have a full out ban on plastic straws and prevent guests from bringing their own then of course I would abide by their rule and I would come up with different back up plan. I can certainly understand why plastic straws aren’t available at Animal Kingdom. My original comments were only made because I don’t think not having plastic straws will make that much of environmental impact and I believe this is cost cutting strategy however I fully admit I’ve done no research on this topics and wish they would at least still have plastic straws to give to guests who request them.

The other problem I have is paper straws disintegrate over time. I know they're supposed to, I understand that premise, but they do it rather quickly which means my drink is affected. I tend to buy a drink and nurse it. I looked and one of the longest lasting paper straws seems to be made by Aardvark and they report about 2 hours (give or take) before it breaks down. I can often go much longer than that so I'll probably wind up wasting more of these straws as a result. For example, I'll probably go get something to drink in a few moments (once I finish this post) and I'll keep it around until later this afternoon. So a good 6 to 8 hours. I'm going from one straw to 3 or 4 at that rate (not to mention the paper bits I get to have in my drink) assuming I'm using the best sort of straws and more if I'm using a lesser quality.

The other problem I have is paper straws disintegrate over time. I know they're supposed to, I understand that premise, but they do it rather quickly which means my drink is affected. I tend to buy a drink and nurse it. I looked and one of the longest lasting paper straws seems to be made by Aardvark and they report about 2 hours (give or take) before it breaks down. I can often go much longer than that so I'll probably wind up wasting more of these straws as a result. For example, I'll probably go get something to drink in a few moments (once I finish this post) and I'll keep it around until later this afternoon. So a good 6 to 8 hours. I'm going from one straw to 3 or 4 at that rate (not to mention the paper bits I get to have in my drink) assuming I'm using the best sort of straws and more if I'm using a lesser quality.

Can you get a reusable straw? I also tend to fill up my cup at work and might nurse it for a bit but it has a reusable straw that I just keep with it (granted, I just use it for water so cleaning it isn't as big of a deal)

Can you get a reusable straw? I also tend to fill up my cup at work and might nurse it for a bit but it has a reusable straw that I just keep with it (granted, I just use it for water so cleaning it isn't as big of a deal)
I have some metal straws. They get cold and are a (literal) pain when they hit my teeth (very bad for walking/driving). I might have to try something different but it gets expensive and then I have something to go on the junk pile. They're also not very handy when you're on the go and just don't have them around. Having to pack them in every car, or make sure you have them "just in case" when you go with someone else is difficult (and adds up). Just like the reusable shopping bags. We have what seems like a thousand of those things around here but I never seem to have one whenever I make a quick stop at the store so I wind up paying the penalty or buying yet another. Here in CA we've already mandated lots of these things so it's nothing new for a lot of this stuff.

I have some metal straws. They get cold and are a (literal) pain when they hit my teeth (very bad for walking/driving). I might have to try something different but it gets expensive and then I have something to go on the junk pile. They're also not very handy when you're on the go and just don't have them around. Having to pack them in every car, or make sure you have them "just in case" when you go with someone else is difficult (and adds up). Just like the reusable shopping bags. We have what seems like a thousand of those things around here but I never seem to have one whenever I make a quick stop at the store so I wind up paying the penalty or buying yet another. Here in CA we've already mandated lots of these things so it's nothing new for a lot of this stuff.

I am definitely of the mind that trying to handle some situations is better than none and planning for all is almost impossible. so at work I know I have a resuable mug for coffee and tumbler for water ... but if I am out and about I don't kill myself if I forget a resuable bag or use a plastic straw from starbucks or whatever

If everyone even gets 20% better that can make a big difference without having to shame (ourselves or others) for missing something here or there

I love how when anyone tries to take a first step towards conservation, people love to jump all over them - either by complaining about what they're doing, or saying it's not enough. Talk about damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

I guess I am not going to fall all over myself praising Disney for doing something they should have done years ago. And something that will cost them absolutely zero dollars.

IMO this policy change has more to do with Disney cutting costs being environmentally conscious is just the way Disney sells to us and now they receive praise instead of criticism.

LOL

The bags are more annoying, I wish they'd switch to paper and ask if you need one.

They should just switch to paper and charge 25 cents per bag, at least to begin with.

They should just switch to paper and charge 25 cents per bag, at least to begin with.
That wouldn't be logical. They want guests to buy Disney items while in the parks. Charging them extra to take home an item they just bought would just cause fewer guests to buy items. It isn't like a grocery store where 1) people need to buy food and 2) they can bring their own bags with them. No one needs Disney souvenirs and it is unrealistic to expect guests to carry bags around with them to a theme park. Why isn't anyone asking Disney to actually eat a little of the cost of being environmentally conscious?

Why isn't anyone asking Disney to actually eat a little of the cost of being environmentally conscious?

Because if the bag is "free", then no one even thinks about *not* taking a bag. If you have to pay *something*, then people actually take a second to consider whether they need the bag or not.

I suppose Disney might be able to achieve the same thing if they *asked* every customer "do you need a bag?", but actually charging (even a nominal amount) makes people think a bit harder about whether they need the bag or not.

Getting back to the original post---Disney is getting rid of plastic straws and cutting down on the use of plastic cups and bags. But, as a previous poster pointed out, ZIPLOC is now sponsoring KidCot and giving each child a plastic bag to hold trading cards from each country. ZIPLOC is also the new sponsor for Splash Mountain, giving riders plastic bags to keep their belongings dry. Their "commitment to environmental stewardship" sounds a bit shaky to me.
I have to agree. I do think that we are a terribly wasteful society and I like the idea of being more environmentally conscious, but it seems Disney is just jumping on a popular fad as more of a marketing technique rather than a true commitment to preserving the environment for the future.

They sell plastic disposable ponchos by the thousands. There has to be a lot more plastic in those things than in the straws. Any rumors of Disney selling some other type of environmentally friendly rain protection?

And the Ziploc relationship, as you point out, does seem to be a contradiction.

I get that major change comes about slowly, but there are many ways Disney could lessen its environmental impact that it’s not doing. It just seems Disney is now following trends in pop culture rather than taking truly effective action.

Let’s follow what’s trending on social media to see what Disney’s next socially conscious move will be . . .

I have to agree. I do think that we are a terribly wasteful society and I like the idea of being more environmentally conscious, but it seems Disney is just jumping on a popular fad as more of a marketing technique rather than a true commitment to preserving the environment for the future.

They sell plastic disposable ponchos by the thousands. There has to be a lot more plastic in those things than in the straws. Any rumors of Disney selling some other type of environmentally friendly rain protection?

And the Ziploc relationship, as you point out, does seem to be a contradiction.

I get that major change comes about slowly, but there are many ways Disney could lessen its environmental impact that it’s not doing. It just seems Disney is now following trends in pop culture rather than taking truly effective action.

Let’s follow what’s trending on social media to see what Disney’s next socially conscious move will be . . .

My thoughts exactly. A sea turtle had a straw stuck up its nose and there was a video. That's what started this whole thing. This is a "politically correct" move by Disney. Plastic in general is an environmental problem, not just straws. Disney wants credit for doing the right thing, but Splash Mountain is the wettest ride in MK. Can you imagine how many plastic bags will be handed out? At least Disney has a recycling program. And before you purchase a shopping bag, know that their plastic shopping bags are made of recycled materials.

Last edited:
I just went to a restaurant that phased out straws but gave them upon request. I was the only one who asked (I don’t feel comfortable putting my lips on public glass) and we ended up all getting straws. Maybe that’s what Disney’ll do for people who actually need straws

To be clear, that turtle was found in 2015. The video went viral. Plastic straws are considered "single use" and they don't break down well at all. But they're a small part of a much bigger problem.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly. A sea turtle had a straw stuck up its nose and there was a video. That's what started this whole thing. This is a "politically correct" move by Disney. Plastic in general is an environmental problem, not just straws. Disney wants credit for doing the right thing, but Splash Mountain is the wettest ride in MK. Can you imagine how many plastic bags will be handed out? At least Disney has a recycling program. And before you purchase a shopping bag, know that their plastic shopping bags are made of recycled materials.
I don't think you can conclude that, that one video was the reason companies are getting rid of straws.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter