Cabana Bay Beach Resort?? Is it really all that??

Jenny412

Mouseketeer
So we are Disney people looking to switch it up this year and do a week long Universal vacation. We normally stay onsite in one of Disney's moderate resorts. We love both Port Orleans resorts and also Caribbean beach. I was ready to book one of the resorts at Universal that come with express pass when I started looking at reviews and such on social media sites. I'm amazed at the reviews for Cabana Bay Beach Resort! Families absolutely love that place. Many say it was so much better then the 3 deluxe resorts at Universal. Is this for real? The reviews at the other 3 don't even compare with the reviews for Cabana Bay. Is it really all that everyone is making it out to be? Or is it just that it is less expensive so that is what's outweighing opinions of other 3 resorts? I don't want to book there and after arriving realize the place is utter chaos with a ton of people. We won't be coming at a very busy time so express isn't that important. I just don't want to make a mistake with my decision so I felt where else to get opinions then on this forum :). Again we love the vibe at Disney's Port orleans resorts so would love a resort similar. I will more then welcome any advice and opinions :)

Last edited:
This is a very personal call, I think. It seems to me that Cabana Bay has very vocal, passionate fan base that is sometimes hard to ignore along with a good price point. Having said that, I don't know that I would ever stay there - I pool-hopped over there with my family a couple of years ago and while it was very bright and fresh, the aesthetic was just not my taste. I prefer a more "lux", relaxed, tropical vibe - so Royal Pacific is our "go-to" choice. But again, that is a personal thing.
I think the best thing to do is to have a look at each of the hotel "stickies" at the top of the forum and go with your gut. You really can't go wrong at any of the Universal hotels - they are all very, very nice.

It doesn't have the same vibe as port orleans or CBR but the amenities are right there with them (if not better). The major reason it feels different to me is the rooms being in the larger towers with indoor walkways (more hotel-like).

We loved Cabana Bay when we went. The only reason we aren't returning is because we're going during Christmas and need the Express Passes.

OP, you are on the right track for a fun vacation at Uni. The raves for CB are in line with price point. You get a really nice resort for what is considered inexpensive by vacation standards. Thus the value people perceive is off the charts. There are two pools and a lazy river. There are bars for a adults, there is a cafeteria so your meals don't have to be $30 a plate. There's a Starbucks in the lobby. My teens loved the CB refillable mugs. We bowled on a day when it rained. A great value for a stay of 7 or more days.

For a stay that long, you won't need the EP to experience all the rides, and CB gets you early entry which is very beneficial. That first hour, you can get more done than at any other time. You can also pool hop to the other resorts on Uni property. Unlike WDW, it is encouraged here. So be sure to use some midday breaks, jump on the water taxi and explore.

I think Cabana Bay is way better than Port Orleans. It's basically like a Disney Moderate-Deluxe hybrid but at value pricing. It is fun and there is a lot to do. Two pools, one with a slide, one a lazy river. Bowling alley. Gym. Bars. Amazing food court. Sand beach area with volleyball. The lobby is really cool and a fun place to hang out. The family suites are a great size and a good bargain. I would recommend it. We went in October and didn't have Express Pass and never felt like we were missing out. Nothing had a wait over 30 min.

I think Cabana Bay is way better than Port Orleans. It's basically like a Disney Moderate-Deluxe hybrid but at value pricing. It is fun and there is a lot to do. Two pools, one with a slide, one a lazy river. Bowling alley. Gym. Bars. Amazing food court. Sand beach area with volleyball. The lobby is really cool and a fun place to hang out. The family suites are a great size and a good bargain. I would recommend it. We went in October and didn't have Express Pass and never felt like we were missing out. Nothing had a wait over 30 min.
It's definitely a LOT nicer than comparatively priced Disney hotels. We loved having the Starbucks in the lobby as well. We'll miss that when we go this year, but we needed the EPs (we're there December 24th-26th).

Count me as an Cabana Bay fan! I've stayed there each of my trips and love it. I travel at low crowd times so the lack of Express Pass doesn't bother me and the buses are fine. Those are usually the two biggest knocks against Cabana Bay.

Is it a family hotel? Yes, but I've never felt crowded there. The food court is HUGE and there are two pool areas so there is plenty of space for everyone. Are the rooms the height of luxury? No, but for the price I don't expect it. The beds are comfy enough for me and now we always book a suite so there is plenty of room. A standard room would be tight for more than 2 adults and 1 kid.

I adore the vibe and the theming is spot on in a retro sort of way. On my first two trips, we ate every night at City Walk before heading back to the hotel, but once we tried the food court, I was a convert. The food at Bayliner is not your typical food court food - it's good and not very expensive either. And two words - LAZY RIVER!!!

Count me as an Cabana Bay fan as well. Bright, sunny and a value resort not just for the kids. Love hanging out the Swizzle Lounge and people watching in the lobby. Is it better that Port Orleans? Well that depends. I think it is on the same level as the moderate Disney resorts. Also for me this resort gives Pop Century and the all Stars heck even Art of Animation a run for their money. Moderate features at value prices.

The Lazy river and the Starbucks don't hurt either.

And apparently it is quite popular hence the adding of more hotel rooms at the resort.

Last edited:
I personally think it's nice but would rather stay at the other 3 deluxe hotels. Even if you don't "need" the express passes our family thinks they are priceless. Given your kids age they might like Hard Rock better than Cabana Bay.

To each his/her own, I suppose. We love Port Orleans, and often spend quite a bit of time at the resort when staying there. On the other hand, we found Cabana Bay to be rather meh. Walking the grounds, there's simply no comparison. The lazy river was OK, but we were really turned off by the overall decor both inside and out. The lobby bar was nice, but the food court was awful - long lines, poor service, and lukewarm food both times we tried it. Overall, the vibe really reminded me much more of one of the All-Stars, albeit with more to do if you enjoy those sorts of things and bigger rooms. Once again, personally I much prefer Port Orleans for the theming, food, and atmosphere.

To each his/her own, I suppose. We love Port Orleans, and often spend quite a bit of time at the resort when staying there. On the other hand, we found Cabana Bay to be rather meh. Walking the grounds, there's simply no comparison. The lazy river was OK, but we were really turned off by the overall decor both inside and out. The lobby bar was nice, but the food court was awful - long lines, poor service, and lukewarm food both times we tried it. Overall, the vibe really reminded me much more of one of the All-Stars, albeit with more to do if you enjoy those sorts of things and bigger rooms. Once again, personally I much prefer Port Orleans for the theming, food, and atmosphere.

To be fair, we were at Cabana Bay when it was still very new. And everything was fresh and it wasn't crowded. The food court put every Disney food court to shame. I guess maybe it's slipped. When we were there, it was amazing.

To be fair, we were at Cabana Bay when it was still very new. And everything was fresh and it wasn't crowded. The food court put every Disney food court to shame. I guess maybe it's slipped. When we were there, it was amazing.

That might be gatordoc's perception, but definitely not mine! We LOVE Cabana Bay! Everything about it appeals to us. The food court is completely awesome, we've never waited more than 5 minutes for a bus to the parks, the bowling alley is great, and we love capping off a day in the parks with a leisurely float in the lazy river.

Our 'norm' had always been WDW however last October we decided to try Cabana Bay as we haven't been to Universal in a really long time. Loved it and are going back this August, taking our son and granddaughter. We purchased Annual Passes and got a great room discount as well as discounts on food and souvenirs. Hoping that we get another good room discount for our August stay......that Annual Pass is going to pay for itself!
The one think I will say is that I was a bit disappointed with the lazy river. It was very tiny, not what I expected at all. The rest of the resort blew us away.

Was there a month ago, and will be again for nine days in June. Your perception is closer to mine than the one alluded to here. In my opinion; Cabana Bay is comparable to Port Orleans, with a much better price point. The value Disney resorts are not really in the same category as it; from room size, to amenities, to proximity to the parks.

POR is my resort of choice when at the Mouse's

CBBR is my home at the Dark Side.

You can't compare the 2 in terms of atmosphere and feel. they're just not the same
I do like walking around in the Bayou from the room to the lobby. Strolling along the Sassagoula River in the morning, sipping on the coffee (way to hot) I've just poured into my mug at the food court

but I also love so much CBBR and the relaxed family feel of this resort.

In terms of ammenities, CBBR wins hand down.
Pools are better. there is a bownling alley, food court is great (I will even say it's on par with POR's, and POR's is one of the best on Disney property IMHO)

I love that we're able to grab a shuttle to citywalk and be there in under 10 minutes from room to getting off the bus ...(yes, wait time included) disney can't beat that, unless you stay at the fancy and way too overpriced monorail resorts, or at BC/YC/BW

we're going for 3 weeks this summer, and will only stay at CBBR
But I will aslo admit that I miss my POR, and I have to resist the urge to book a couple of nights at POR before the start of our UOR stay, just to chill out, and let the jet lag pass (over 10hrs of flight and 6 times zones ... requires a bit of recovering :p )

The only comparison I will make between CBBR and POR is that both resort have this knack of winning you over. Those are 2 resorts you'll want to return to (or plain cross off your list) but it won't leave you undecided.

Wow!! Thanks for all the feedback! Cabana bay looks like so much fun! My only other choice after doing some research would be Portofino bay since I can get a good aph rate there also. Anyone have any opinions good or bad on that hotel?

Wow!! Thanks for all the feedback! Cabana bay looks like so much fun! My only other choice after doing some research would be Portofino bay since I can get a good aph rate there also. Anyone have any opinions good or bad on that hotel?

That hotel is my FAVORITE. The atmosphere is great, pools are fun, rooms are big. It's definitely more luxury (and it has the express passes)

I really loved Cabana Bay, especially for the price. I wasn't sure what to expect since it's a more value hotel, but the room was clean and bright, the cafe was really convenient, and transportation was pretty easy. For me, the pool area wasn't spectacular, but I'm sure kids love it, and we didn't spend much time there anyway. For our stay coming up in September we're staying at Portofino. I wanted to be able to use the ferry to get to Universal, which technically you can at Cabana Bay but you have to walk to one of the other hotels (can't remember which?) to get to it...not really worth the time in my opinion. They told us it was a 5 minute walk, but it felt much longer to me. Also excited for some "free" express passes...we'll see if they're really necessary in September with lower crowds. Anyway, I'd for sure stay at Cabana Bay again if we didn't want to splurge.

I'm curious, for those who love Cabana Bay, have you stayed at other Universal properties?

I've stayed at all of them and although I thought CBBR was fine, I would only stay there if the other resorts were just way out of wack price wise. This usually only happens at peak times.

I love the other resorts! I feel totally spoiled in every way. From the plush surroundings to the relaxing rooms to the invaluable express passes (no matter the season). It's a true pampered feeling and I just don't get that at CBBR.

OP if you can swing PBR, go for it. Your family will love it! It's so much more deluxe in every way

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!