Cabana Bay Beach Resort?? Is it really all that??

I'm curious, for those who love Cabana Bay, have you stayed at other Universal properties?

No, but I think people stay at CBBR because it's a lot cheaper than the others. If they are considering CBBR, they are not necessarily considering the other options due to cost. We got a family suite for $109/night. The Royal Pacific would have been $289/night for the same dates. There were only two of us so it wouldn't have been worth it even with the express pass. We were trying to keep it as cheap as possible but still be onsite for the extra hour in the morning.

I have stayed at Royal Pacific and Sapphire Falls. The price point is good at Cabana Bay and I am on a tight budget so there you are.

My sister stayed at the Hard rock and didn't care for it at all

I've stayed at RPR, PB, and Cabana Bay. My son and I prefer Cabana Bay over the others. We like the food court, the pool is awesome, the bowling alley is fun, and it just suits us. I'm getting the vibe the a few people think the only way people could possibly like it is if they've never stayed anywhere else.

I'm getting the vibe the a few people think the only way people could possibly like it is if they've never stayed anywhere else.
I don't think anyone is assuming that. I think just wondering if the families that stay there have experienced the other resorts also to compare it to.

I'm getting the vibe the a few people think the only way people could possibly like it is if they've never stayed anywhere else.

the major downside to staying at CBBR is the lack of EP

for many, these passes are the main reason they will stay at a deluxe. And that's especially the case for those who do one nighters to get 2 days of EPs

The EPs are such a value, that for some, it's hard to understand that one could like to stay at a resort without EPs, and that one people will only like CBBR as long as they didn't have a taste of EPs
And that implies that it's not an hotel issue, but rather a hotel perk issue.

I've stayed at PBH, RPR, and CBBR (HRH is a no go, too busy-noisy)
I love PBH, and to be honest, I often pool hop over there, but I'm priced out (coming from europe, we have 3 weeks summer vacation ... 3 weeks at PBH ... I would have to sell a kidney to afford that ...)
I love RPR, there's no denying this resort is gorgious

And I have stayed at both of the above before testing CBBR. First for one night, then for 12, and next for 21

And CBBR is where we feel at home.
When we're at PBH or RPR, it's more like a "hotel feeling", you know, the room you go to after your day at the park. There are people who enjoy the resort, but for a vast majority it's just a "shower and bed" ... as previously mentionned EPs do the trick, and depending on how large the party is, you basically get a "room for free".
This leads to a biaised (yet totally acceptable and respectable) feeling that, paying for a "value" and not getting EPs is not worth it, and those who like it there are just missing out on the "real universal"

well I don't agree with that. CBBR is a vacation place. And might be more suited to those with longer stays. After all, longer stays mean less need for EPs, and in the end, it's a very nice place. it also gives access to the deluxes ammenities (like pools)
In that light, CBBR is the best value for money, as long as you don't need or care for EPs

if the main focus of the onsite stay is getting EP, then CBBR won't compete, no matter how you look at it. And it's fairly understandable why some people might think loving CBBR can only be done when you don't know the other hotels. But, as previously said, it's not about the hotel, in the end it's about the perks. If you don't need the perk and stay a week or more, then CBBR wins over the others

ymmv

Some of us of course just don't like it.

Nothing to do with EP for us.........the hotel look and feel don't appeal to us at all.......

We stay for 18 nights and I wouldn't be without EP doing Universal at any time.......

At the end of the day, money doesn't come into our choices, and even if EP was offered for Cabana Bay......we wouldn't stay there.........

But that's ok as plenty of people do enjoy it..........something for everyone..........

We recently returned from a quick Universal Trip. Haven't been to Universal in about 7 or 8 years and stayed offsite when we did go before.

This time we had two nights at Cabana Bay and two nights at Royal Pacific, club level. I just adored Cabana Bay. Loved the theme. Fun and "Happy Days-ish", relaxing and I don't know..stress free. Maybe not for everyone, but I just loved it the whole theme and experience. First time and I'm a CBBR convert I think ;-)

We enjoyed Royal Pacific as well, but the room was smaller and, well, the decor in the room was just OK....just not the same Wow Factor for me with the theme in the room we stayed at. (Nothing bad at all, the resort is beautiful too. We thoroughly enjoyed both.) I did love the feeling of walking into their RPR lobby almost as much as I loved the fun old time feel of CBBR's lobby. They are completely different themes and it was awesome to experience them both.

Loved having the boat transportation and the express passes at RPR. Wish Cabana Bay offered at least the Express Passes. I understand why they don't. We went at a peak time and I booked last minute so I paid more than I've been seeing people pay. I'd be happy to stay in either but if I had my choice (and Express Pass wasn't a factor) I'd choose Cabana Bay. (We were there during for 4 short days during a heavy spring break period so the express passes were awesome to have.)

I did check out Hard Rock while we were there and I'd love to give that a try along with Portofino too. We had great service at both resorts we stayed at and wouldn't hesitate to stay in either again :-)

I wonder if Universal could set aside a section of CB (once the new towers open) for "premium" rooms that include Express Passes. It would be comparable in price to Royal Pacific but would have the theming of Cabana Bay that many enjoy. Dollar wise it just doesn't make sense to stay at Cabana Bay and add express passes during busy season. Express passes can be $140 per person per day during busy season, so it would cost you more to stay at Cabana Bay and buy the passes separately even if you only have 2 people.

Last edited:
We stayed at Royal Pacific for 4 days and than Cabana Bay our last two for our first Universal vacation (we're usually Disney people). As soon as we got to our room at Cabana Bay, we knew we'd made a mistake. While some people may love the style, it reminded both my husband and I of the furniture that each of our grandparents had in their houses for decades (we're in our 40s). It was not relaxing and the room felt very "bare bones." The pool was very nice, as was the lobby. The food was fine, but not a selling point. Although I did like the interior hallways, I think the rooms at Port Orleans are nicer. and definitely the grounds. We prefer the theme there too, but that is an individual preference.

At the Royal Pacific Resort it was a whole different story. We did not expect it to be so nice--and we usually stay in the Deluxe resorts at Disney. It was so calm, pretty, and well-designed. When we get a chance to go back, we will definitely stay at either RPR or Portofino, which also looks great. Also, having experienced the joy that is having Express Passes, I'm not sure I would want to do Universal without it. Just happy everyone doesn't feel this way ;-)

Some of us of course just don't like it.

Nothing to do with EP for us.........the hotel look and feel don't appeal to us at all.......

We stay for 18 nights and I wouldn't be without EP doing Universal at any time.......

At the end of the day, money doesn't come into our choices, and even if EP was offered for Cabana Bay......we wouldn't stay there.........

But that's ok as plenty of people do enjoy it..........something for everyone..........

Totally agree - something for everyone.

I'm curious, for those who love Cabana Bay, have you stayed at other Universal properties?

I've stayed at all of them and although I thought CBBR was fine, I would only stay there if the other resorts were just way out of wack price wise. This usually only happens at peak times.

I love the other resorts! I feel totally spoiled in every way. From the plush surroundings to the relaxing rooms to the invaluable express passes (no matter the season). It's a true pampered feeling and I just don't get that at CBBR.

OP if you can swing PBR, go for it. Your family will love it! It's so much more deluxe in every way

I haven't stayed anywhere else yet, so you might be right. We're staying at Portofino this fall, so my opinion of Cabana Bay might change. But I do think it was a good hotel for the price we got. We really didn't spend much time at the resort because we were at the parks the majority of the time. I did like the breakfast selections in the morning, we had pizza delivered to our room one night, and I really liked the frozen yogurt bar. Maybe I'm easy to please. ;)

We prefer Hard Rock. We have stayed in Royal Pacific. After a snowstorm delayed us, we ended up spending a couple of nights at Cabana Bay. If I am going to the parks, I want front of line access. Cabana Bay was fine - I liked it better than Disney moderates but I would choose a deluxe hotel over it always.

I understand why people would not like the theming. To me and my partner we love the 50's 60's theming plus it suits our budget. We are going to be staying there at the end of september so crowds should not be a major problem so didn't need EP. Working out.

Wow!! Thanks for all the feedback! Cabana bay looks like so much fun! My only other choice after doing some research would be Portofino bay since I can get a good aph rate there also. Anyone have any opinions good or bad on that hotel?

We have stayed at all except for SF and Portofino is by far my family's favorite. On our last trip we did a split stay between HRH and PB. My teenage daughter was very excited to try out HRH, but it wasn't until we checked into Portofino that everyone felt like our vacation truly started. We have had a lot of discussions around here in the past few weeks while planning our next visit. We have come to the conclusion that the atmosphere at Portofino is part of what keeps us coming back to Universal. We did have a great time at Cabana Bay. It just wasn't our favorite.

I've stayed at RPR, PB, and Cabana Bay. My son and I prefer Cabana Bay over the others. We like the food court, the pool is awesome, the bowling alley is fun, and it just suits us. I'm getting the vibe the a few people think the only way people could possibly like it is if they've never stayed anywhere else.
We like CB also but don't get our youfirst credits there so it's out for us.

DW and I are doing US/IOA for the first time this Sept. I like to get the best value for my money and to optimize our experience. I put together a pro/con analysis for our 1st time trip, and in the end, CBBR won out for the pools, theme, price and more importantly, the food choices. Going in Sept and not being extreme ride kind of people, we don't think we'd need an EP perk. Now if we find we really enjoyed US/IOA experience, then I can see us trying some of the other on-site resorts.

I have stayed at HRH, RPR & CBBR and have never stayed at a Universal hotel & not felt like I got my $$ worth. When I stayed at CBBR, I was traveling with friends where budget was very important & so we all felt like there was tremendous value in that resort. I think if you are only spending 1-2 days in the parks, or traveling during average to peak crowd times, EP is worth every penny, but if you can take the time to wait in a few lines, and aren't rushed to cram everything into a few a couple days, CBBR allows the same budget to extend to a week or more. It's all in how you travel & the demands of your vacation.
In contrast to Disney, it is MUCH easier to take advantage of the amenities of the other hotels at UOR, and the time spent traveling from one spot to another makes all of UOR seem more relaxing & less or a chore than Disney.
Everyone really has to take their own budget and travel demands into account, but I think either way you will leave a UOR wanting to return.

It really just depends on what you like. I find Cabana Bay to be nicer than the values at Disney. I also think Cabana Bay offers better amenities than a Disney Mod, but I'd MUCH rather stay at a Disney Mod.

So it just depends. I recognize the value in Cabana Bay, but I just don't like the "feel." I've stayed at Royal Pacific and loved that. So it really just depends. When I was younger and less spoiled, I probably would've loved Cabana Bay.

Well it is a Value Resort which means they're going to be limited in the type of theming they can do without going overboard. I think it's a clever and well-done theme for the price. I hate how tacky-looking the Value Resorts at Disney can be (and yes I know it's meant to be kid friendly but still). The only one I am impressed with is AoA.

Curious to see what Universal will do with their future Values as far as theming and amenities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter