Cabin Door Locks

mousebrat

DIS Veteran
Our cruise sets sail one month from today! :cool1: We are excited, but I have a new concern. Our 23-month-old has been making us paranoid lately because he can unlock any door in our house. This past weekend he managed to let himself out the front door. I know the balcony doors will be ok, but are there locks up high on the cabin doors, similar to what you find in a hotel? I can't remember because it was never an issue. We are in a Cat. 3 mid-ship, so the boys will be in the living room area while we are in the bedroom. At home, the little one is still in a crib, so there is the potential that he could get out of bed at night on the cruise.

I looked through some stateroom tours to see if I could find a pic of a door, but several photo sites are blocked on the work computer. Thanks for your help!

I just got off the Wonder, Cat 4. There was no lock higher than the handle. I remember thinking that was a tad odd.

CORRECTION: I just found the picture I took of the door and, as PP mentioned, there is no upper lock. Sorry! However, the doors are metal and very heavy.

P3110222.jpg

Just off the Magic and we didn't have any sort of deadbolt or chain up high on the main cabin door. Just the one underneath the handle that opens when you open the door.

I agree that the doors are very heavy. I don't think a little kid could open a heavy door that opens inside.

We were on the Wonder in August, and nope...no lock above the handle.

But the door was heavy enough that no way could my 4 year old or 6 year old get it open and slip out without me noticing.

You could put a magnetic hook at the top of the door and hang some bells from it--you would know if anyone was messing with the door???? Pack a baby monitor so you would be sure to hear?

If you are concerned about your child opening the door when you are sleeping or in the bathroom you can put a suit case in front of the door. I know, it's a fire hazzard, but it places a barrier between the child and the door that would make some noise if moved.

Those doors are VERY heavy. I have trouble opening them, and I'm a grown woman. While it's not impossible for a child to open them, I would doubt that he could.

Beth

I agree that the doors are awfully heavy. I have seen others suggest placing bells on the door, like getting one of those collars for cats with the bells on them - to ease your mind.

I agree that the doors are very heavy. I don't think a little kid could open a heavy door that opens inside.

I completely disagree. My 2 1/2 year old opened ours up quite a few times last week. But then again, she's freakishly strong, your mileage may vary. We did the suitcase in front of the door, but she'd move that too.

Seems she wanted to go see Mickey Mouse at 6 am when she woke up. We had to convince her he was asleep.

I completely disagree. My 2 1/2 year old opened ours up quite a few times last week. But then again, she's freakishly strong, your mileage may vary. We did the suitcase in front of the door, but she'd move that too.

Seems she wanted to go see Mickey Mouse at 6 am when she woke up. We had to convince her he was asleep.

Funny, although scary!!

For us, DD slept in the couch/bed on the side of the room with the verandah, and we were closer to the door. But, on many instances, she wanted to check the fish extender, and could not open the door at all. She turned the handle, and that was it.

I had a lot of trouble opening the door wide enough for me to go through. It is EXTREMELY heavy. My 3 year-old was unable to open it or keep it open.

Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like it may depend on the door - some may be harder to open than others. Our precious little toddler is sometimes referred to as the "little linebacker" or a "tank." Sounds like we have cause for concern. We'll have to think about how to address - all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I was on the wonder inside stateroom and my almost 3 year old was constantly opening up the door and trying to run out with no problem what so ever. I was extremely worried he would get up and try to get out so I put the table which is super heavy in front of the door

Has anyone found a solution like a temporary child lock to put on the cabin door. Last time I was on the Dream, I tried to use the toilet and my 2 1/2 year old opened the cabin door and ran out. I had to quickly chase her down. The door was easy for her to open. We are going again and she is older so this will likely be even more of an issue.

Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like it may depend on the door - some may be harder to open than others. Our precious little toddler is sometimes referred to as the "little linebacker" or a "tank." Sounds like we have cause for concern. We'll have to think about how to address - all suggestions are greatly appreciated!
I wish I could help, but, alas, I can only commiserate. When my oldest was 22 months old, he was opening the gate on the stairway, so we had to get an extra strap to make sure it would stay closed. Kids are amazing and smart and keep you on your toes. :)

This may sound stupid, but what if you made a large magnet with a photo of your child and maybe Mickey or something that's a favourite. Make is long enough (like a full page length) so you can have one side on the door and one on the wall. It's not going to keep a determined child out and it's not going to be a fire hazard. But if you put it at your child's eye level, it might be a mental barrier. When you want to open the door, make a big deal about moving the magnet. Maybe make up a little song you can sing to move it, so your child thinks that's what you have to do to open the door.

As pp have said, the doors are quite heavy and open in. If I was super concerned, I would consider buying a door alarm or door handle alarm. There are many on Amazon at reasonable prices. Then, you don't have to "block" the door

We did have a runaway situation while I was in the bathroom but caught up to him at the elevators. A bit scary, but what can you do. It's the same problem at hotel rooms at WDW. The good thing is I am never too worried at WDW or on a Disney Cruise because their lost child protocols are so fantastic. My husband was watching watching our kids at the pool area one morning when one got away and got lost. I was in the room folding and putting away some laundry when the CM called our wave phone. They had found him right away and were keeping him safe and calm while I rushed up to get him--but I was really glad we drilled into him our room number so that helped, but I'm sure they would have figured it out another way if he hadn't known our room number. They are ALWAYS super vigilant and on the lookout for lost kids. I remember seeing it in action at the parks; a kid was wandering around alone and a CM ran up and they were on the walkie talkies right away with a lost child description, and found the parents in probably 5 minutes despite insane crowds and despite the fact the kid was too young to talk.

One thing I would recommend is getting your child a nursery magic band--then they can track your child as the bands contain a locating device.

One thing I would recommend is getting your child a nursery magic band--then they can track your child as the bands contain a locating device.

Unless something has changed recently, the kids' club magic bands only work for locating the child when they are inside the club. They do not work for locating a child elsewhere on the ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts