CAD almost 81cents on the USD today

The currency traders are betting on a September BoC interest rate hike. If interest rates rise this week, I think it may hold.

I hope it holds a few days! Checked out of disney this morning and waiting for the charges to actually post :)

I was pleasantly surprised to see on the RBC currency converter $100 CDN = $78.96 US! I'm holding out until it hits 0.80.

Of course, anything you are saving on exchange rates is being pumped into the gas tank. Wondering if airlines will re-introduce fuel surcharges. Let's hope the refineries in Texas reopen soon!

Of course, anything you are saving on exchange rates is being pumped into the gas tank. Wondering if airlines will re-introduce fuel surcharges. Let's hope the refineries in Texas reopen soon!

DH wondered the same thing about the airlines...

I think with the dollar pricing up a bit higher there is actually downward pressure on the BOC so we are probably looking at an exchange rate that is not pricing in a .25% rate hike in Oct (or at least only partially pricing one in). As such, no rate hike, no drop in dollar. We'll see it start to trend out over the next month. Of course immediate downside to your higher CAD is lower markets since so many Canadian blue-chips have substantial US income - which is suddenly not worth so much, ergo smaller dividends to pay for vacations :)

I think with the dollar pricing up a bit higher there is actually downward pressure on the BOC so we are probably looking at an exchange rate that is not pricing in a .25% rate hike in Oct (or at least only partially pricing one in). As such, no rate hike, no drop in dollar. We'll see it start to trend out over the next month. Of course immediate downside to your higher CAD is lower markets since so many Canadian blue-chips have substantial US income - which is suddenly not worth so much, ergo smaller dividends to pay for vacations :)
So, you're saying hold tight and wait to buy USD? What does "trend out" mean in layman's terms? (I'm such a newbie when it comes to financial stuff)

really the exchange rate at any given time in theory represents the sum of all known public information and expectations...if I could predict which way it would go I would probably not be going in the inside cabin on the Magic this fall :)

I just figure buy a bit whenever its over 80 cents and be happy with the rate you got....anytime the dollar floats up too high there is pressure to push it down.

1.21 this morning! That's insane.

I want to book my trip to Florida/Universal (have flights booked for May 12 - 22 but not hotel and tickets) but concerned about how much damage hurricane Irma is going to do. Not sure what would be refundable etc. Praying for Florida and everyone else who has already been effected in the Caribbean. :worried:

remember you buy US funds over time say 6 months plus that way you leverage avg cost Vs rolling the dice. BOC has said there will be one more increase before year end. plus monthly job forecasts will play a factor as well as Oil etc. (sad to say but hurricanes cause supply shortages thus driving the cost per barrel higher) thats good for the loonie.

1.21 this morning! That's insane.

I want to book my trip to Florida/Universal (have flights booked for May 12 - 22 but not hotel and tickets) but concerned about how much damage hurricane Irma is going to do. Not sure what would be refundable etc. Praying for Florida and everyone else who has already been effected in the Caribbean. :worried:

If you book a package (hotel & tickets) with WDW or Universal Orlando, you typically only have to put a deposit down and then it's fully refundable up until 30-45 days out (depending on the type of booking).

I'm holding off booking our flights for Feb 1 until after this hurricane passes Florida. I can't image WDW/US will be destroyed, but you never know.

Thanks for posting to this thread ilovetotravel1977 it reminded me that I need to get some more US cash today. I hope Florida isn't destroyed as we head to Universal in just over two weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter