CAD Dollar Concerns

thr33boys

DIS Veteran
Is the state of the CAD dollar also making you contemplate cancelling/rescheduling your trip? Our reservation isn't until July, but unless the dollar rebounds somewhat favourably, we may decide to do a domestic summer vacation this year and reschedule Disney when things turn around.

We purchased our tickets in Feb 2017 during the first 25% off promotion that were not date specific and had no expiry date. I would hope that if I cancel my room only reservation, my tickets would retain those benefits, regardless of them currently showing as being linked to July now in MDE. Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks and stay healthy everyone

I’m thankful we collected USD in our US account when the dollar was strong. At today’s rate it is scary.

just wanted to say we have the Canadian resident tickets non expiry bought a few years ago too and linked them to my MDE Account. I had a hotel reservation for next week that I cancelled. When I cancelled the hotel, my tickets stayed in my account. They never disappear. I did rebook for August. And everything is still there.

We’re supposed to go on a DCL cruise In August but are seriously thinking of canceling.

1- We can cancel with full refund of our deposit until April 15th. With so much uncertainty with cruises and Covid-19 it would be the safe thing to do.

2- We still owe 6K on the cruise. With the cad $ plunging, this vacation is getting more and more expensive. Not sure it’s worth the cost anymore.

3- We could cancel and re-book last minute if price is good but our economy is taking a big hit right now so I think we will spend our money in Canada instead.

I’m thankful we collected USD in our US account when the dollar was strong. At today’s rate it is scary.

just wanted to say we have the Canadian resident tickets non expiry bought a few years ago too and linked them to my MDE Account. I had a hotel reservation for next week that I cancelled. When I cancelled the hotel, my tickets stayed in my account. They never disappear. I did rebook for August. And everything is still there.

Great! Thanks for the info. We have until mid-June to decide. We’ve only paid the deposit and since our tickets were already paid, we decided to splurge and get 2 rooms at CSR so the 5 of us could have enough space. I got a great rate on the room but with the conversion right now, it’s awful. Have fun in August!

We’re supposed to go on a DCL cruise In August but are seriously thinking of canceling.

1- We can cancel with full refund of our deposit until April 15th. With so much uncertainty with cruises and Covid-19 it would be the safe thing to do.

2- We still owe 6K on the cruise. With the cad $ plunging, this vacation is getting more and more expensive. Not sure it’s worth the cost anymore.

3- We could cancel and re-book last minute if price is good but our economy is taking a big hit right now so I think we will spend our money in Canada instead.

I think we will vacation in Canada as well. I’d like to camp and do the Cabot Trail in NS. A completely different vacation from Disney!

With the dollar dropping so much the only vacation to the States for us is Cedar Point as we have season passes. If families need their amusement park fix, there is always Wonderland in Toronto.

With the dollar dropping so much the only vacation to the States for us is Cedar Point as we have season passes. If families need their amusement park fix, there is always Wonderland in Toronto.

Considering buying the AP for Six Flags La Ronde in Montreal for the first time in 5 years. Not a great amusement park but it's local, accessible by metro (subway) for traffic-heavy weekdays and my oldest is now tall enough to do enough. In April they usually have the gold pass for a family of 4 at 200$. That gives us free tickets for friends, free parking and free entrance to any Six Flags park in North America.

What's wrong with Wonderland? Just curious as we've never been but have considered it.

I would imagine the pp is referring to the long lines at Wonderland. So many people opt to pay for the fast lane, that it really backs up the standby line and the park can get really crowded. I find the thrill rides are pretty good so if you can go during an off-peak time or on an overcast day (with rain forecasted) you’ll have a better experience. The food is also ridiculously expensive.

I have never had issues with long lines. Then again I do go on weekdays and when I do go on weekends I go right at opening to avoid the long lines. Its funny how people will put up with long lines at Disney and think nothing of it but won't at places like Wonderland.

What's wrong with Wonderland? Just curious as we've never been but have considered it.
We have had seasons passes a couple of years including last. Just find it is not out style. Disney is busy yes but you can work around it fasspasses are free.
Wonderland we found overrun by teenagers no manners and workers who would rather be on phones then working.
Just not for us. When kids were small the kids area was ok but not now.
And not to put fear in all. And it's TRUE it is a breading ground for human trafficking. The recruit there because there are so many teens.

Wonderland we found overrun by teenagers no manners and workers who would rather be on phones then working.

We went to a very small local park in PEI this summer. Granted they had a school group there, but I couldn't BELIEVE how rude the teens were - cutting in line in front of tiny kids! Not even accidentally, but fully on purpose. I put an end to that some fast.

We have had seasons passes a couple of years including last. Just find it is not out style. Disney is busy yes but you can work around it fasspasses are free.
Just not for us. When kids were small the kids area was ok but not now.
And not to put fear in all. And it's TRUE it is a breading ground for human trafficking. The recruit there because there are so many teens.
Only Disney has fast passes that are free. If you aren't big into big coasters then no Wonderland is not for you. I have never had an issue with crowds at Wonderland.

I have never had issues with long lines. Then again I do go on weekdays and when I do go on weekends I go right at opening to avoid the long lines. Its funny how people will put up with long lines at Disney and think nothing of it but won't at places like Wonderland.
I haven't been to Wonderland at all but the one thing I really dislike about going to other amusement parks is waiting in line! We never wait in lines longer than 20-30 minutes at Disney World so we've been spoiled! I can't wait in 1-2 hour lines like I could when I was a teenager!

Disney is just so much more than just an amusement park to us. Wonderland probably doesn't even give us 10% of the enjoyment that Disney does. Yes, the dropping dollar is painful. However, if you spend about $10K on a trip, it's another $500 now compared to a few months ago when the dollar was a few cents higher. If that poses a real problem, do a few less table service meals, or buy a few less souvenirs. I'm sure you can cut back somewhere to make up the difference. We usually do a couple of MK dessert parties and will probably do none on our next trip. Problem solved.

Disney is just so much more than just an amusement park to us. Wonderland probably doesn't even give us 10% of the enjoyment that Disney does. Yes, the dropping dollar is painful. However, if you spend about $10K on a trip, it's another $500 now compared to a few months ago when the dollar was a few cents higher. If that poses a real problem, do a few less table service meals, or buy a few less souvenirs. I'm sure you can cut back somewhere to make up the difference. We usually do a couple of MK dessert parties and will probably do none on our next trip. Problem solved.
I understand that Disney is on a different level as far as theming goes but for me I enjoy a coaster that is 400 feet tall and goes 120 mph in 4 seconds over Mickey and Minnie's runaway railway.

With the changes to the dollar what are the opinions on cancelling a current package versus moving the dates from a financial perspective. We may look at a date in October and if we do I am wondering if it is better to move it now or cancel and see where the dollar and rates go.
We may also look at changing the resort at a later time POR to a DVC.

If we have a resort / ticket package will we get reimbursed for both or just the resort portion?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter