CAD Dollar Concerns

With the changes to the dollar what are the opinions on cancelling a current package versus moving the dates from a financial perspective. We may look at a date in October and if we do I am wondering if it is better to move it now or cancel and see where the dollar and rates go.
We may also look at changing the resort at a later time POR to a DVC.

If we have a resort / ticket package will we get reimbursed for both or just the resort portion?

You will be reimbursed for the whole thing. Financially, as it stands today (dollar down to $.70 now), you're actually going to get the full amount, even a bit extra back, because the dollar has dropped so much from when you booked.

My question is, once this is over, how long will it take before our dollar starts rebounding? Is it going to be this low for 6 months, a year? Or are all bets off these days?

I am glad that our daughters June trip is already paid for. August family trip was paid for last week before it dropped(1.34 instead of 1.425 today). Our rental DVC trip is paid in CDN dollars and they still are asking for the same price, so no issue there. So thankfully the only one will be the replacement trip for March Break in June or whenever it can happen. That one will be a cheap one with Frontier flights and an offsite place. I would prefer the dollar to be better but I am glad I went last week and bought all the disney gift cards to pay for the two trips once I knew things were going to tank.

The change for us is that it makes it even more likely we won't renew our passes and I am expecting that my wife and I adult only trip will be cancelled in May and we will have to find a way to somehow use up those DVC points unless they make an exception to carry them forward to next year.

The dollar will not likely see much improvement before the end of the year. The recovery from this situation is going to take a very long time.

What you do will depend on how sensitive your budget is to the exchange rate. I wouldn't plan on it improving. If it does bonus. It could get worse.

The dollar will not likely see much improvement before the end of the year. The recovery from this situation is going to take a very long time.

What you do will depend on how sensitive your budget is to the exchange rate. I wouldn't plan on it improving. If it does bonus. It could get worse.
I expect the candian dollar to fall. I remember the early 80s and the american dollar was worth a $1.50 for each candian dollar.

It sucks for sure. I have a cruise planned for December, PIF is in September and I intend to wait and see what happens. It will impact the amount I have to pay obviously, but I will scale back on the excursions if necessary. Probably be an extra $200 or so if it ends up at $1.50. I will figure it out because I think we need the vacation. And maybe flights will be lower as they recover. Maybe? :)

At least for my now rescheduled (to.. hopefully June) next WDW trip I already had US cash set aside. (have AP ..one time thing); then trip after that is (hopefully) Alaska cruise in September which is booked w/ Grats prepaid; so the prices is locked in CDN$. (plus have $200US OBC) ...so after that, well, I hope the US$ rebounds, I miss what things were like 5-10 years ago :P

My 3-night December Disney cruise is almost paid for by the deposit transferred from a cancelled 8-night Northern Europe cruise. So it doesn’t hurt as much if the dollar continues to fall, but it still hurts. I miss the time when our dollar was at par with USD, and Disney was much more affordable.

man it is getting ugly. A dollar at this price will definitely impact trips in the future for us until the dollar comes back. Once our annual passes are done we had thought we may wait a year but it may push us out for a few. It may alter the trips we already have booked as well. I am not sure how difficult it is to do for Canadians but maybe we will rent out our DVC points if our May trip gets cancelled.

Last edited:
man it is getting ugly. A dollar at this price will definitely impact trips in the future for us until the dollar comes back.
I'm glad I got a season pass for Wonderland that includes Cedar Point. Otherwise I wouldn't even be thinking of going to U.S. til the dollar bounces back. Who knows when we will be allowed to travel anyways

man it is getting ugly. A dollar at this price will definitely impact trips in the future for us until the dollar comes back. Once our annual passes are done we had thought we may wait a year but it may push us out for a few. It may alter the trips we already have booked as well. I am not sure how difficult it is to do for Canadians but maybe we will rent out our DVC points if our May trip gets cancelled.
We have rented out our points several times thru Davids. No issues whatsoever. Have some rented out now for a May reservation. I really hope for that renter, that WDW opens, but I’m assuming not 😔

It depends on how the world sees what happens to the US. If their numbers spike and what I saw a prediction of the unemployment spiking too, their dollar might drop and ours climb back to even.
But at this point it is just throwing darts at a board.
And I suck at darts.

My opinion is that our dollar has been greatly affected by the Saudi/Russia oil war de-valuing Canadian oil. While a drop in the value of the US dollar will help the currency disparity b/w the 2 countries, it really isn’t a sign that our economy is rebounding. It’s merely a sign that the US dollar is hurting as well.

We have rented out our points several times thru Davids. No issues whatsoever. Have some rented out now for a May reservation. I really hope for that renter, that WDW opens, but I’m assuming not 😔

I have heard that they have certain tax consequences, do you know of any? I only have a small contract for the benefits, so our 75 rental wouldn't be a huge deal but we may rent out 19 and 20 if we can manage to use them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter