CAD Dollar Concerns

If things continue with the dollar plunging, I suspect Disney will up the discounts for Canadian residents. I don't see them going as far as CAD$ at par though. I am hoping for some deals for Winter 2021 as we are staring to plan.

We are really hoping we can do a June 2021 trip. But... so much is going to depend on if everything is back up and running full tilt by then. I know in a way it seems unfathomable that it wouldn't be, but they're estimating 18 months for a vaccine which technically puts us at September 2021. So... if Covid is still circulating heavily next spring/summer... I think some level of restrictions will still be in place.

We were looking at Jan/Feb 2021, but now have changed our minds and will look at Fall 2021. Mind you fall 2021 will be nuts as it is the 50th Anniversary of Disney World.

I might just wait until 2023 when Universal opens Epic Universe and do a big 2 week trip.

Edit to add: That would would only happen if WDW let me bump my tickets out that far (not going to happen) and if I can book my cancelled flight to be outside the current 24 month booking period.

Last edited:

We were just discussing this last night. Once travel restrictions are lifted, we will probably be making a wide berth around the US, until they can get a WAY better grasp on their number of cases. I would rather go where my dollar will stretch a little farther than in the US. As much as I really wanted to take our boys to Disney and Universal, it might have to wait for both the dollar and their handling on the virus for us to go there.

We were just discussing this last night. Once travel restrictions are lifted, we will probably be making a wide berth around the US, until they can get a WAY better grasp on their number of cases. I would rather go where my dollar will stretch a little farther than in the US. As much as I really wanted to take our boys to Disney and Universal, it might have to wait for both the dollar and their handling on the virus for us to go there.
I'm the same and I have a season pass for Cedar Point.

I am hoping that Disney is hit just enough to offer some really good deals to Canadians when this is all over. We have a trip planned now for late Aug 2021. I figure this should be safe by then, and as I turn 50 the same year as Disneyworld, it's a great year to go. It will be hot and crazy, but it's Disney :) As for the dollar....I just keep putting money into a US account every so often when I get extra and figure it will sort itself out. Can't stress about the exchange as I can't control it.

I should have originally posted this here.

1 CDN = 0.745668USD

It's coming back!

Yup and it sucks for me. I bought at .734 before the drop because I believed it would drop and didn't want to get caught. Now all of our trips will likely all be cancelled so we are going to have to take back all the american $s in CDN gift cards which are worth less than I paid. Oh well, its the chance we take.

I have enough WDW gift cards in my Disney Account for our resort right now ($1400 US). I stopped buying them once the pandemic exploded and just put money in my travel fund. If/when our December trip happens, I will just stock up before we go. Hopefully it will get back to where it was (0.78-ish).

Well
After a bit of thought I decided that I'd take a chance and crash out my Disney Gift Cards.
I know I could wait but I've never been one to take chances. The rate today was much better than a few months ago. The positive is my DVC dues are paid for the next two years. 2021/2022.
Just one less thing to worry about during a Pandemic and financial up and downs.

Hugs
Mel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter