Cake Decorating Class

I highly recommend this class. My daughter and I did it last summer and it was a highlight of our trip. It runs like a well oiled machine and our instructors were so much fun. One of them was helping to create the desserts for Galaxy's Edge and it was so interesting to hear about her experiences working for Disney. We did the classic Mickey cake, but I have booked again for August on a day that will have an Artist's Choice cake. I even added a day at the beginning of our trip so we could fit it in. If you want to spend some time in DS after the class you can go back and pick up your cake later in the day. It was a great experience. Book it and enjoy!

Has anyone done this solo? Is it the kind of atmosphere where the instructor keeps conversation going and/or it's easy to strike up conversation with other participants?

And how big are the cakes? I've never gone to Amorette's and I'm wondering if it'd be too much for one person (though I could nibble on it over the course of a few days, I suppose).

Edit: Alternatively, since it says they package the cake up for you...how realistic would it be to plan to do the class on my second to last day and transport it home with me on the plane?

I did it with my niece last year. It was something different to do if you have the time and if you've been to Disney a lot and want something new. The instructors were very knowledgeable and also shared their Disney history with us. Each pair makes one cake which you take with you (as said earlier, you can pick it up later in the day). But be warned! It was a lot of cake for 2 people to eat and we ended up throwing almost half of it away. If you're going to do the decorating, do it early enough in your vacation so you have time to eat it. The cake did fit in the fridge in our room at BWI.

I really wanted to this with my grandson who loves helping me decorate cakes but he’s 7 and the age limit is 10.:(

I actually just booked this for hubby and I to do on our last day. I planned to carry it on the plane :) But, does it need to be refrigerated? We don't fly out until almost 9 pm so we wouldn't be catching DME until 6pm. We'll be spending the rest of the day at CCV but if we have to check out of our room I wonder where I'll be able to store it until we leave. Now it doesn't seem like such a good idea, lol!

On another note, if we are doing this on a friday and it's artist's choice, does that mean we choose from a variety of dome cakes and what are those choices?

I actually just booked this for hubby and I to do on our last day. I planned to carry it on the plane :) But, does it need to be refrigerated? We don't fly out until almost 9 pm so we wouldn't be catching DME until 6pm. We'll be spending the rest of the day at CCV but if we have to check out of our room I wonder where I'll be able to store it until we leave. Now it doesn't seem like such a good idea, lol!

On another note, if we are doing this on a friday and it's artist's choice, does that mean we choose from a variety of dome cakes and what are those choices?

Bell Services has refrigerators and should be able to store something for you.

I really wanted to this with my grandson who loves helping me decorate cakes but he’s 7 and the age limit is 10.:(
So sorry to hear you were not able to book with your grandson, but it have a silver lining. I appreciate that children have very different maturity levels but I honestly don’t think it would be the best fit for a 7 yr old. It is geared for an older audience, with a good portion being talk, albeit very interesting.
The hands-on tasks are minimal and fairly quick, as you have to get the cake back into refrigerator to set between coatings. Abetter bang for your buck would be to pick up some themed baking accessories (cake pan, cookie cutters, etc, or maybe a waffle maker) and some special decorating touches. Then, you can take the magic home and work on some Disney desserts together for years to come.
Our Mickey waffle maker is a favourite and every year we have a gingerbread day. Yes, our cookies have mouse ears, and we dip them in melted chocolate so every cookie looks like it is wearing a mouse ears cap!
I have a grandson who loves to help in the kitchen, too. He turns 15 soon, and will have lots of memories of homemade Disney treats, as well as a good knowledge of many cooking techniques. I would like to do that class with him now... he would find it fascinating.

So sorry to hear you were not able to book with your grandson, but it have a silver lining. I appreciate that children have very different maturity levels but I honestly don’t think it would be the best fit for a 7 yr old. It is geared for an older audience, with a good portion being talk, albeit very interesting.
The hands-on tasks are minimal and fairly quick, as you have to get the cake back into refrigerator to set between coatings. Abetter bang for your buck would be to pick up some themed baking accessories (cake pan, cookie cutters, etc, or maybe a waffle maker) and some special decorating touches. Then, you can take the magic home and work on some Disney desserts together for years to come.
Our Mickey waffle maker is a favourite and every year we have a gingerbread day. Yes, our cookies have mouse ears, and we dip them in melted chocolate so every cookie looks like it is wearing a mouse ears cap!
I have a grandson who loves to help in the kitchen, too. He turns 15 soon, and will have lots of memories of homemade Disney treats, as well as a good knowledge of many cooking techniques. I would like to do that class with him now... he would find it fascinating.

Thanks for the info.

I am a semi retired cake shop owner. I have more tools than I can count. lol We do a ton of baking together and enjoy it a great deal. Hopefully they keep this and we can do it down the road sometime.

I was reading another review about this and someone mentioned that you might not be able to take it thru TSA....might want to check on that...

I booked this for our upcoming trip. I was almost ready to cancel but after reading this thread I'm glad I didn't! I watched a video somewhere on the DIS. Looks like fun and a good way to slow down and enjoy something outside of the parks!!

My daughter and I want to do this for our trip later this year on her b-day when she turns 10. It's her "becoming a Disney adult" trip. Does anyone know what the artist's choices are like? Is it always the same inside cake but a different decoration on the outside? Do they change all the time or is there the same artist's choice during a period of time? We will be there during Halloween season. Her actual b-day is on an artist's choice day but we may move to the day before to do the Mickey's theme as she likes the flavor of the mickey cake (according to reviews) and since this will be her b-day cake (we are in a DVC villa and will have a fridge for leftovers) I want to make sure it's a flavor she will like. But if it's just a different decoration on artists choice day we'll book the class for her actual b-day. I wish they transported cakes to your resort similar to DS purchases as I was hoping we could hit a park after class- guess we'll have to stop @ the villa first.

Thanks for the info.

I am a semi retired cake shop owner. I have more tools than I can count. lol We do a ton of baking together and enjoy it a great deal. Hopefully they keep this and we can do it down the road sometime.

Aren't we the lucky ones to be sharing time in the kitchen (and at WDW!) with our grandsons? Here's to a future date when we may be doing this class with them.

Surprising my Mom with this for her 59th Birthday, the entire trip is a surprise. Doing it Friday, July 19 (Mom's actual birthday), hoping to make Goofy.

I booked this for the morning of our Halloween party ( Friday September 13th) for hubby and me.
I'm so excited because I'm a huge sweets fan and love watching cooking shows so this is a great way to start our resort day before we do the party I think. We are so excited !

I just booked this for my daughter and I - for Sept 22 - which is our Halloween party day. Super excited to try it, I wasn't able to fit it in on our last trip.

What is the finished size of these cakes? I have it scheduled on our last day and I need to do some reading up on whether or not TSA will allow it. I planned on taking it home on the plane

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter