CaliD or anyone - some GF concierge questions

disneyholic family

disney on my mind....
CaliD - i've been reading your FAQ site (i think it's yours)...
i have a few questions about GF concierge:

1. is the Sugar Loaf concierge and RPC the same in terms of hours, food service, concierge services, etc.?

2. is the Sugar Loaf lounge room smaller than the RPC?

3. are there any Magic Kingdom view sugar loaf concierge rooms? the reason i ask is the person at CRO who made our reservations claimed there was, but looking at your map i can't see how it's possible to have an MK view from sugar loaf

4. are there any MK view concierge rooms in the main building?

5. finally, if it were you, would you choose sugar loaf or RPC and why?

thanks so much for your help....i just HATE making decisions...

Beth

Hi! :)

1. is the Sugar Loaf concierge and RPC the same in terms of hours, food service, concierge services, etc.?
The only true difference between the two is the absence of wine and cordials in Sugar Loaf. The amount of food in Sugar Loaf is also less, but they serve the same things. Desserts in Sugar Loaf is to a lesser degree as well.

2. is the Sugar Loaf lounge room smaller than the RPC?
Yes, the RPC's lounge is very large, with the desks on the 3rd floor and the actual lounge on the 4th floor. The lounge in Sugar Loaf is just in the lobby area of the building, along with the concierge desks. It is all just in that open area upon entering the building (they do have it sorta inclosed with a glass wall).

3. are there any Magic Kingdom view sugar loaf concierge rooms? the reason i ask is the person at CRO who made our reservations claimed there was, but looking at your map i can't see how it's possible to have an MK view from sugar loaf
There are no Magic Kingdom Views in Sugar Loaf. There are only marina and quiet pool views.

4. are there any MK view concierge rooms in the main building?
Yes, about 1/3 of the rooms in the main building have a Magic Kingdom View. The others have a quiet pool/courtyard view or a theme pool/lagoon view. They are usually very accommodating on view requests.

5. finally, if it were you, would you choose sugar loaf or RPC and why?
If you have your heart set on staying in the main building, then do so. But, if you really don't care which building you are in, save the $100/night (or more, depending if you can get a discount on Sugar Loaf) and stay in the Sugar Loaf Key. For similar features, you'd be better off saving your money. Unless of course if you want that MK View, then you'll have to book the RPC which comes with the added benifit of being in the main building.

:)

thanks CaliD!!

that MK view answer was the clincher....
looking at that map you posted i was positive the CRO was wrong..
ok...so i'll call back and change the reservation...
i wonder if they have an AP discount on the RPC too...
i'll find out....if so, we'll do it...
it's only for 3 nights (before the cruise), may as well do it in style...

the kids want to try out the GF this time, so who am i to argue...

oh, and thanks for answering so quickly!!

We stayed at the RPC last year and just love it. Our best experience yet at Disney.

We could not get any discount last year at the RPC with our annual pass. This year we are booked at the Sugar Loaf because you can get a discount there. We are hoping we like it as much. The RPC was like a dream.

Thanks Cali-D for the site. I read it all the time. Makes me feel like I am there.

Question - You say the desserts are to a lesser degree - can you give an example? And - how many floors are in that Building?

oh well...
the RPC is completely booked for the dates we'll be there...
so i'll stick with sugar loaf.....i was thinking of changing to standard with MK view but for now i'll leave it as sugar loaf....i'll call again on monday...the woman at CRO today wasn't exactly the best i've ever dealt with...maybe the saturday staff....and by monday perhaps someone will have cancelled their RPC reservation..here's hoping...

Disneyholic family, my last GF concierge stay was November 2000. Since I was staying in a suite, I had access to both the RPC and the Sugar Loaf concierge lounges. I can honestly tell you that the food items were identical in both lounges as I checked on that a couple of times so that I could report back here to the Dis with my findings (the only exception was the evening cordials in the RPC). The service in both lounges was the same, too. I actually like the layout of the Sugar Loaf concierge lounge better than the RPC since the concierge Cast Members are right there in the lounge with you. That gives you easy access to them if you need any special plans made.

thanks Janet

the wine/cordials thing is not a problem for us as we don't drink at all....not even a sniff....so that wouldn't be a loss...
my issue is with not having an MK view...
somehow i think having an MK view would make it all really special...
that's why i'm thinking of changing it to standard MK view.....(although that may be booked as well.....we're going for a VERY high traffic period.....very very very.....)
i'll be happy with sugar loaf i'm sure.......it's funny we've never done any concierge service at WDW, i'm not sure why i never thought of it, since we always do everywhere else...
the rate i got wasn't bad for sugar loaf (with the AP discount)...
but that MK view would be fun....
hmmm....decisions decisions....

Disneyholic, my favorite GF building is Conch Key. It has the best view of Cinderella's Caste, in my humble opinion. I would pick Conch Key over the main building (or any other lodge building) hands down every single time. I adore that building. So, if I were you, I'd book a Lagoon View room and not worry about concierge service (save your money). If, however, you want a really nice concierge stay, I would point you at the AKL. That is a gorgeous resort with some of the best CM's on property. Again, this is all my humble opinion, and others', I am sure, will vary (as it should be).

Get the Lagoon View room and put a request in for a Magic Kingdom View. That's what I do and so far I've been very lucky to have gotten it.

Janet:

when you make your reservation, can you specify which building you want?(that is, tell them that i want the Conch Key Lodge?)

i'm still hesistant.....though the view would be great, the more personalized service of concierge would be nice......
the worst part of all this is that all decisions are made by me....so i always feel so responsible if we're disappointed.....(it doesn't happen that often but it does happen).....

When I make my GF reservations, I book a Lagoon View room, and then I ask them to note that I would like a Magic Kingdom view. I don't get more detailed than that. I bet, though, you could ask them to note that you would prefer a *certain* lodge building. I think when I booked my suite, I put in a request for Conch Key since my last suite stay had also been in that building and I adored the view. I did get Conch Key for that stay (my suite was one floor below my prior suite stay).

And I know how you feel about wanting to get everything *perfect* -- I am the exact same way. I make almost every single one of my PS reservations myself, after having been burned a couple times by the GF concierge. That way if anything goes wrong, I have no one to blame but myself (my vacations almost always turn out flawless). It sounds like you are the same way. Good!

well, the truth is the planning is half the fun...
and now that i've found these boards i hope to make the vacation even more spectacular...

so...rooms are all set, now i have to count the days until i can start making the other reservations (surfing, etc.)...

thanks for your help Janet!

Just remember that 1/3 of the lagoon view rooms don't even face the Magic Kingdom (they face the Polynesian) and of the 2/3 that do face the Magic Kingdom there are some trees and/or building positions that can fully block the view. However, I was lucky enough to enjoy a wonderful side angle view of the castle, as well as a view of the Contemporary, the Polynesian, and a little island (beachcomber? The name seems to escape me right now). :)

excellent point CaliD...
especially considering the hotel will probably be booked solid when we go, so the chances of getting that MK view will be greatly reduced...

i've already decided to keep the sugar loaf concierge and forget about the view.....the RPC isn't available for those dates (it's completely reserved already)...
so we'll see how sugar loaf is...
i'll ask for a tour of RPC when we're there to make the comparison.....
we'll also be staying at the BC concierge and the YC concierge on this trip so it will be interesting to compare and contrast the different service....

thanks for your help!!.....i'm still reading your FAQ thread....i think i'd just made it to page 7 (of 17!!!) when i had to reboot....

Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter