• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

California Dreamin' Day 5 and Day 6

puffkin

DVC Owner- SSR & AKV
Cast:
Woody- Disney nut and obsessive trip planner, age 23
Buzz- fiancé of Woody, tolerates Disney, age 25

Day 5 (Tuesday November 4, 2003):

Buzz was up and out the door by 6:15 am to start his work day, but I was on vacation. I lounged in bed until 8:15 am before getting ready for my second day of solo touring. I wasn’t in a hurry today because it didn’t matter what time I got to the parks. I arranged for the hotel shuttle to pick me up at 9:00 am, and it was there and waiting. I was at the airport in no time. After my transportation fiasco yesterday, I had called and made sure that an Airport Bus would be picking up at 9:30 am. It was there right on time, and we were off in no time.

Since the other two families on the bus were going to the Grand Californian, I said that was fine. I got off with them and walked through Downtown Disney to the front gates. I got there right at the 10 am opening. I had brought the camcorder with to take some video today, so I headed to Fantasyland first. I rode and taped Alice in Wonderland, and then rode Peter Pan, Snow White, and Pinocchio. All the rides were walk-ons at this point. I then headed over to the Matterhorn to try the left side (since we had ridden the right side before); the wait was about 10 minutes.

Since I was by myself, and had no agenda, I meandered through the park, taking in the sights. It was nice to be able to do this for once since in Walt Disney World, we are usually rushing around. I decided to give the Davy Crockett canoes a try since they looked cute. While I was waiting for my canoe, a little girl about 4 years old got off her canoe and yelled at her mom, “That wasn’t any fun, that was hard work!” Everyone had to laugh, even the CM’s. After my canoe ride (which was fun, but actually was quite strenuous), I rode the Haunted Mansion (walk-on) again.

I wanted to get some video of DCA, so I headed out of Disneyland. On the way down Main Street, I grabbed a strawberry sundae at the Ice Cream Parlor. I arrived in DCA just in time for the next Playhouse Disney show, so I headed over to check it out. Since we don’t have kids yet, we have never had a desire to see this show, but I thought I would check it out now. I grabbed a seat on a bench in the back and enjoyed the show. This is a must see for anyone with preschool children!

I decided to try Soarin’ Over California again, so I headed over and got in the 3rd row (10 min. wait). I didn’t mind the dangling feet, but I would definitely recommend requesting row 1 for your first time. I walked around and took some tape of DCA. After freezing yesterday, I had dressed warmer today, but I soon regretted it and ended up carrying my sweatshirt around for most of the day. I headed back to Paradise Pier and took some video of the California Screamin’ take offs before hopping on myself (5 min.).

I then decided to head over to the Sun Wheel to get some aerial video of the park. I hated the swinging gondola when we rode over the weekend, so I opted for the stationary gondola. I ended up having to wait 15 minutes while a CM had to clean one of the swinging gondolas after one of the occupants apparently lost their lunch. They had quite a system to clean the gondola (they did a very thorough cleaning I might add) so this must happen quite a bit. After my uneventful ride, I walked onto the Orange Stinger. This is a remarkable feat for me since I hate swing rides, but this one isn’t too bad. Since there was no line, they offered to let everyone stay on again, but I passed. Once was enough for me.

One of my goals for the day was to see California Dreams, so I headed over to the theater and had about a 10 minute wait until the next showing. This show was cute and informative, but I would pass it up if time were limited. By this point, I was getting slightly bored with DCA, so I decided to head back to Disneyland. I rode Mr. Toads Wild ride (walk on) since it hadn’t been running this morning.

It was soon time to meet Buzz for dinner, so I poked through some shops before heading back to Tomorrowland to catch the monorail to Downtown Disney. Buzz was there within 10 minutes. We did our shopping in World of Disney and used my Disney Club Card to get the 10% discount. We then headed up to the AMC theater to catch Brother Bear at the 5:45 show. They had given us coupons at the World of Disney for a small popcorn and small soda for $4 so we took advantage of the offer. We both enjoyed the movie. I thought it was neat to see a Disney movie in Disneyland during its opening week.

After the movie we checked in a few minutes late for our PS at Napals Ristorante but it didn’t really matter since the restaurant wasn’t very crowded. I don’t remember what we had, but it was very good (although pricey). We then headed back to the hotel and watched some TV before turning in for the night.

Day 6 (Wednesday November 5, 2003):

Once again, Buzz got an early start and was off to work around 6:15 am. My timing was perfect to get to the parks yesterday, so I used the same plan. I woke up around 8:15 am and had the hotel shuttle pick me up at 9:00 am. I caught the 9:30 am Airport Bus and got dropped off at the Grand Californian. The bus made a few more stops than yesterday, so I made it to the front gates around 10:15 am.

I really enjoyed Alice in Wonderland, so I rode that one last time (walk-on). I wish they had this ride in WDW. I then gave the Storyland Canal Boats another try (10 minutes). I decided to ride the carousel again, and I was able to ride Jingles (the famous horse I learned about on my tour Monday). I was hungry, so I headed to the Main Street Bakery and settled on a Strawberry Tart.

I decided to make the most of my last day, so I headed over to Indy and walked on using the single rider line. I then took the raft over to Tom Sawyer’s Island, and walked around before taking the raft back. I then rode the Haunted Mansion and Winnie the Pooh with no waits. I rode Splash Mountain one more time using the single rider line and confirmed my original opinion that the WDW version is much better.

I wanted to do Millionaire, so I headed over to DCA for the last time. I made it just in time for the 1 pm Millionaire and got to sit in the fastest finger row. It wasn’t very full, and I managed to get up to number 4. When Millionaire let out, I headed over to Muppetvision 3d and walked right in on the show. I then decided to do Millionaire again, so I waited about 5 minutes until the next show at 2 pm. I noticed quite a few people had been there for the earlier show. The first guy who made it to the hot seat had actually been a contestant on the New York show with Regis. He only made 1,000 so he was out to redeem himself. He ended up getting out going for the 64,000 question. The highest I got this time was 6.

I seriously debated staying for another show, but there were a couple more things I wanted to do before I left. So I grabbed some fries and a soda for lunch and headed back to California Screamin’ for one more take off. I then did Soarin’ Over California using the single rider line and got seated in Row 2. I was finished with DCA so I headed back to Disneyland to finish up the trip.

I decided to get an ornament personalized, so I picked one out. Luckily, they said it would be ready by park closing. I bought a few other souvenirs that I hadn’t seen at the World of Disney last night. I had time for one last ride, so I tried the Jungle Cruise again. The captain was much more enthusiastic than the previous one, so it was a good cruise. By now, it was time to meet Buzz, so I headed out of Disneyland and through Downtown Disney.

Buzz was waiting outside of the ESPN Zone. He had wanted to go inside and play some games. However, it was closed for a private event, so he was disappointed. It was still too early to get dinner, so we sat in the lobby of the Grand Californian for awhile and soaked up the atmosphere. Our PS wasn’t until 7:30 pm, but we decided to go to dinner early since we were bored. They had no problem seating us at the Jazz Kitchen early since it wasn’t full. Our food was alright, but not exactly memorable. I had the coconut shrimp, but I don’t remember what Buzz had.

Buzz was ready to head back to the hotel, so we walked back down to Disneyland so that I could pick up my ornament. I was disappointed with the ornament but there wasn’t much I could do about it since the park was closing and it was my last day. The personalization consisted of them using a gold pen and writing Disneyland 2003 in cursive on the front. The personalizations in WDW are much better and professional looking.

On the way back to the hotel we tried to find a gas station to fill up the rental. We finally found one near the hotel and filled up before heading back to the hotel. We packed up and watched some TV before going to bed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter