California Grill in December regarding fireworks. Need help.

blewits

Wendy
Sorry if too long but this is kinda a big deal for my family. Going in December, staying OP. Only one night of our trip is MK open until 9 pm. All others close at 6 because of Christmas Party, which we will not be attending. (DIS Unplugged show confirmed my suspicions today). So, I get one evening of fireworks in MK during our visit.

Bringing our niece from Germany who loves America and everything Disney. She HAS NEVER BEEN TO DISNEY before. I want to make this special. She is 17. And she wanted to be in the USA for Christmas! She saved money for her airfare.

I am sitting on a 9:35 dinner reservation for California Grill for one night that the Christmas Party is going on. I don’t care to see the fireworks from my table. Unless it’s really great. (We will see fireworks once live from the park). I would actually prefer to see them outside on the upper outside balcony, if the music is piped in. I think for this occasion, the “kaboom” sound of the fireworks makes a difference.

Does anyone know what time during the party fireworks are set off?

Can we step outside to outdoor viewing directly from the restaurant? Even if before or after our meal? Does the reservation gain us access to the outside viewing or can anyone go up there and watch?

If anyone can go, maybe we just do that and not the dinner.

Just trying to make it special. We are on DDP and I am willing to use 2 credits because all “kids” are grown size now with expansive palettes. They will eat all of the good stuff 😂.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice you have.

Okay. Just watched more videos. Now I desperately want to eat there.

Is my 9:35 reservation to late? Too early? Any advice appreciated.

1. I would actually prefer to see them outside on the upper outside balcony, if the music is piped in.
2. Does anyone know what time during the party fireworks are set off?
3. Can we step outside to outdoor viewing directly from the restaurant? Even if before or after our meal?
4. Does the reservation gain us access to the outside viewing or can anyone go up there and watch?

If anyone can go, maybe we just do that and not the dinner.
Okay. Just watched more videos. Now I desperately want to eat there.

5. Is my 9:35 reservation to late? Too early? Any advice appreciated.
1. The music is piped into the restaurant and on the outside viewing decks.

2. I don't know if the schedule has been announced, but I think they were at 10 PM last year. This thread will have all the party info as it is announced:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...arty-oh-so-jolly-holiday-celebration.3729624/

3. There are decks at both ends of the restaurant so many will go outside to view the fireworks. The servers are very good at pacing your meal. We have sometimes finished our dinner, but on other occasions we have ordered dessert, gone outside to view the fireworks and then have dessert afterwards.

4. The CG viewing decks are limited to those who have dined (or had drinks) at the restaurant on that day. You cannot go up just to see the fireworks.

5. Too late or too early? Dinner (3 courses) at CG takes about 90 minutes to 2 hours for our family. With a 9:35 reservation and including the time to watch the fireworks it will probably be around 11:30 before you are finished. For us that would be too late, but others like to dine late.

T
1. The music is piped into the restaurant and on the outside viewing decks.

2. I don't know if the schedule has been announced, but I think they were at 10 PM last year. This thread will have all the party info as it is announced:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...arty-oh-so-jolly-holiday-celebration.3729624/

3. There are decks at both ends of the restaurant so many will go outside to view the fireworks. The servers are very good at pacing your meal. We have sometimes finished our dinner, but on other occasions we have ordered dessert, gone outside to view the fireworks and then have dessert afterwards.

4. The CG viewing decks are limited to those who have dined (or had drinks) at the restaurant on that day. You cannot go up just to see the fireworks.

5. Too late or too early? Dinner (3 courses) at CG takes about 90 minutes to 2 hours for our family. With a 9:35 reservation and including the time to watch the fireworks it will probably be around 11:30 before you are finished. For us that would be too late, but others like to dine late.

Thank you so much. All of that is extremely helpful information!

Sounds like a really special experience. Hopefully I can make this work.

One more thought. If 9:35 is too late for your family, dining at California Grill anytime that evening will allow you to return to see the fireworks. For example, you can have a very early reservation (e.g. 6 PM). Before fireworks, return to the check in podium on the second floor, show your receipt and you will be able to take the elevator back up.

Touring Plans is estimated 10 PM for holiday wishes when I checked it for 12/20. I think you will be fine with the time you scheduled, as long as you are fine eating that late (not sure of your time zone changes, or your niece's time zone changes). It sounds like you are planning a great trip for her!

I would keep your ADR and arrive a tad early. If it is too late for dinner, order a nice beverage and either appetizers or desserts for the two of you. It is a lovely place to view holiday wishes.

Another thought is Narcoossees. We love that restaurant, and you may be able to secure an earlier ADR. The atmosphere is different, but the view from the Grand is really pretty awesome and the food is delicious.

We had 9 pm ADRs and arrived just a tad early and they took us right up. FWs happened to be going off soon after they seated us (I can't remember what time of year it was, we go often) and it was loud even inside. We didn't go outside and watch them, could see them from our table but there was no ordering while they were going off because it was just too loud. It got even louder after they were over because everyone who had been outside came in. After they all left though it was great. We had a wonderful server who knew not to even try taking our order so just asked what we wanted to drink and came back after the FWs. The time of night was o.k. for us be we are two adults. We weren't staying there, were staying at the Dolphin and I think the buses were still running after we were done but we just took an Uber back to the Dolphin. We had our car but knew we would be enjoying refreshing adult beverages and didn't want to risk driving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter