California Grill & Wishes

jmkst58

DIS Veteran
Hello all,

I want to eat at California Grill & try to catch Wishes while there, but I have some questions...

The lights are lowered, right? Is the music/narration supplied also?

What if we didn't get a window seat...so we decide to move to the deck to watch them...is the music/narration supplied to the deck?

And lastly...the time...For 9:00 wishes..I would think that if I got any PS from 7:30-9:00...then I would be fine, right? *If we weren't seated by 9:00...then we could still just step out onto the deck, right?

Sorry for all the questions...I've seen the answers on here before, but I was still always confused about exactly what the situation was. I believe the policy may have changed recently too.

Any information is appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, lights are lowered and music is played usually (few reports of this not happening).

You can always watch from the deck. I don't recall hearing the narration out there but you can hear some sound from the MK.

For a 9pm Wishes, I'd shoot for a PS between 7:30 - 8pm (not 9pm). Yes, if you don't get a window seat or are late you can always go out on the deck.

PS - How's Phil?

We watched Wishes from CG on Dec. 29. When we got there for our 7:45 PS, it was so crowded that I didn't even bother to ask for a window table. Well, we got one for the third time! I looked around a bit, and thought perhaps it was because we had dressed up a little (no ties or anything), but it was probably just pure luck. They did dim the lights, and eventually the restaurant even quieted down a bit so we could hear the narration. Unfortunately, our entrees arrived just before the show started. So it was a little colder by the time it got our attention! Diana

Thank you both! I appreciate all the info.

Dancind...I need some of your luck.

Margie J.... :D Phil's still Ok, but I have a feeling that if he sees his shadow this year...he may not make it back into his hole in one piece. It was 7 degrees here yesterday...and I think we're all hoping for an early spring. :D After the winter we had here last year...I think we should have been able to skip right over winter this year....atleast January.

Who would really miss the month of January anyway?

We ate at CG last month and watched Wish's frome the restaurant. On the night we were there the sound was piped in. We did not have a window seat but we were able to see most of the fireworks. If you have not seen Wish's you are in for a treat, they are awesome.

We were there last April and yes the music/narration is also piped in outside on the observation deck. With the timing of our PS, it appeared that dinner would be coming when the fireworks started, so we asked our server to hold our meal till after the fireworks and she did so and served it hot after Wishes. I think you would be fine with the 7-9 ps and that it would be no problem for you to just walk out on the deck if your 9:00 seating was running late and Wishes was starting.

Mickey Moose

Hi Jeanie,
I was always confused about the timing for dining at CG and watching the fireworks too.
I read so many threads about how crowded and loud the restaurant is, but also how great the restaurant is!
I worried about an evening of expensive fine dining being hectic and chaotic and we avoided CG for years.
Yet, it was always on my mind!
I was determined to try it for our Christmas vacation and it worked out great for us. My husband and I have found that we enjoy dining late when we are at DW. The restaurants are less crowded and we don"t feel so rushed to get ready after our afternoon naps!

I made a 9:00 PS for CG for Saturday December 20th. We arrived at 8:30 and I told the hostess we would like to be seated in the Wine Room after Wishes.
We had a drink at the bar, went out to the deck to watch the show, got seated in the Wine Room inmmediately after, and enjoyed a fantastic meal in a quiet and romantic setting.

It was VERY cold and windy that night, it felt like it was 20 degrees out on that observation deck! :eek:

We wanted to see Wishes again when it wasn't so cold and we would have liked to have dinner there again too.
But, we had too many restaurants to try that week!
I made a PS for dinner at Jiko one night, at 6:00. We had heard Jiko is not as bustling as most other DW restaurants and figured the timing would be okay. It was FANTASTIC and I highly recommend this restaurant to everyone!
I also made a PS for dessert at 9:00 at California Grill for that same night. We planned to arrive before Wishes and tell the hostess we would like to be seated for our dessert after the show.
As it turned out, we were treated to the delicious pistachio creme brulee with chocolate bottom at Jiko.
Yummy!! :)
We explained this to the hostess at CG, no problem.
We had a couple of drinks at the bar...enjoyed talking with the bartender there...went out on the deck for Wishes...went back in for another drink and just had a great time!

I'm sorry this is such a long post, when a short answer would do.;)
I am just happy we finally tried California Grill and are no longer afraid of it!
We're going back for 2 nights in a couple of weeks.
We will definitely dine again at Jiko and have to choose between CF and Flying Fish for the second night.
Decisions, decisions..... ;)

Have a wonderful time!
:sunny:

Great info...THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH. Decisions...decisions. I know.

Thanks!!!!!

Montessori....Jiko is on my list this time too. I can NOT wait for either of them. :Pinkbounc

Here's an alternative:

Make a 6:00PM PS for California Grill. Have a nice leisurely dinner, and enjoy the view. Actually, if you make a 5:30 PS (opening time), you can't help but get a window table.

Then about 8:00 or so, take a leisurely walk over to MK! It's a short walk. Watch the Wishes fireworks from right in front of the castle!

The Wishes show is different than previous fireworks shows at MK. Even with the music/narration piped in, it really makes a difference to "be there". If this is your first time to see Wishes, I think you should be right there in MK.

We saw it for the first time in MK during MVMCP, and then a few nights later from the Polynesian beach. I'm glad we did it in that order. It's a great fireworks show, but it's not the same as when you're in MK.

Thanks for the warning erikthewise. I was actually hoping to do both (main street then california grill). If I have to eliminate one...I'll eliminate California Grill. THANK YOU!

I would hate to have you miss California Grill. We ate there for the first time last month and it is really wonderful! Seeing Wishes from CG is certainly better than not seeing it at all. But being there in person is really special.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter