California State Route 1

squitty

<font color=006633>With a little bit of Pixie Dust
Hi

We are planning a trip over to the West Coast Sept 09 and are wanting a little bit of help with our planning.

We are wanting to travel from Anaheim to San Francisco via State Route 1. I am after suggestions and opinions on what to see and where to stay. I have 1 or 2 nights to get from A to B :)

Thanks for any ideas, help and information.

It is best seen if travelling north to south as then you are on the side closest to the cliff edge. A good cetral location to stay is somewhere around Pismo Beach or Cambria, near to Hearst Castle which is worth seeing they do good guided tours. Another must see near LA is Santa Barbara and further north Monterey and Carmel.

Claire ;)

Ah, thanks Claire. We hadn't thought of that! Might have to rejig the plan now, we have just over a year to get it together;)

Thanks - anymore suggestions?

We've always wanted to stay at the Madonna Inn. Each room is unique - see the tour. It's in San Luis Obispo, right where the 101 and 1 branch.

We've always wanted to stay at the Madonna Inn. Each room is unique - see the tour. It's in San Luis Obispo, right where the 101 and 1 branch.

Wow, so many rooms to choose from.

Thanks.

SLO is our usual overnight stop if we take 2 days to drive from LA back to the bay area (or visa versa). Santa Barbara is also a good place too.

San Luis Obispo is quite nostalgic for us, as well. DH and I met there while both attending Cal Poly years ago.

If you decide to stay or just visit the Madonna Inn, make sure to go into the men's bathroom in the lobby area. The... um... urinals are quite unique.
The freshmen orientation counselors at Cal Poly (called WOW week) used to bring groups into the men's room (after carefully checking that it was empty). DH and I were both WOW counselors!

We've never actually stayed there, but there are several other good lodging choices along Monterey Rd for good rates.

-- Hulamom

It is best seen if travelling north to south as then you are on the side closest to the cliff edge.

Claire ;)

We will also be on the west coast Sept 09....planning to drive west from NJ to Portland, then down the coastline to LA area. Ummm, how close do you drive to the edge, and are there guard rails?
I remember driving Rt. 9 in Utah a couple years ago and it was a bit scarey at times!

We will also be on the west coast Sept 09....planning to drive west from NJ to Portland, then down the coastline to LA area. Ummm, how close do you drive to the edge, and are there guard rails?
I remember driving Rt. 9 in Utah a couple years ago and it was a bit scarey at times!

The road is on the edge at times but from what I remember there is a wall or some form of barrier at the edge when it is a sheer or steep drop.

Claire ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Well our plans have changed in that we will be travelling north to south instead :)

Like the look of Monterey and the Aquarium that they have there.

The aquarium in Monterrey is a must see if you are there. Also highly recommended is 17 mile drive in Carmel, Point Lobos, and Cannery Row. That area of California is a great place to visit. The beach and boardwalk at Santa Cruz is also fun if you are beach people. Then there are the Santa Cruz mountains, Henry Cowell Redwood Park, and the butterflies at Natural Bridges - I could go on and on.

Suffice it to say you will not be bored !!

Is this a season thing to see? We will be in that area late Sept 09.

Yes, it is seasonal. The peak time is mid-October thru January, so you may get lucky. Unfortunately the Monarchs don't work regular office hours ! Here is a web-site to give you more info and a number if you want to call to see if they are there yet.

http://www.santacruzstateparks.org/parks/natbridges/

IMO, Hearst Castle is not worth $40. It is interesting that someone could be that eccentric, but not anything really worth the money. Others will disagree and some people REALLY like the tour. I guess you'll never know unless you try it !

Definitely the 5 cities area: Pismo Beach, Shell Beach, Oceano, Arroyo Grande and SLO. You will never find a more beautiful and well kept area. I havent been there in years. I am hoping to return in January for my 30th. Good luck with your planning!!!!

(if you are into camping, Oceano Campground is the best campground area around!)

It is best seen if travelling north to south as then you are on the side closest to the cliff edge. A good cetral location to stay is somewhere around Pismo Beach or Cambria, near to Hearst Castle which is worth seeing they do good guided tours. Another must see near LA is Santa Barbara and further north Monterey and Carmel.

Claire ;)

That is so clever!!!! would never have thought of it, thanks!

I know I am getting in on this late..but..if you do decide to stay around Pismo..you really need to plan ahead..as the facilities fill up really fast..especially in fall when the weather is really nice..and.. many travel from the interior of the state..(like me) to the coast..

Ha ha that is exactly why I am happy we drove from south to north when we were there last summer. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen, but I was glad to be on the non-cliff side of the road. I suppose it would be easier, though, to pull over at the overlooks if you were going north to south.

We really enjoyed seeing the elephant seals. I think they were just south of Hearst Castle. It's marked with a road sign, and there were docents there to answer questions about the seals.

I also loved Andrew Molera state park south of Monterey. I know from my research before our trip that there are other beautiful parks in the Big Sur area, but we chose to go to Andrew Molera because of the wheelchair-accessible trail along the ocean.

Be sure to fill up the gas tank before getting into the Big Sur area. There are a limited number of stations (I think I read that there are 2?) and the price was quite high, even for California.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter