California Thanksgiving Day Guidelines

I don't think it's strict enough, honestly. At least personally. As of right now, Thanksgiving is going to be one household, with food delivery to one other household. I'm not saying that should be the guideline, that's just want we are doing
You say it's not strict enough. So what would you recommend?

It also only infects you in a restaurant if you are standing. You are perfectly safe sitting down. Same as it knows when you are drinking a beer and not eating food.

So they are allowed to eat at restaurants on Thanksgiving, eating meals prepared by stranger's hands and eating with 20-30 strangers at neighboring tables, using the same bathrooms?

The CA gov's guidelines also allow outdoor gatherings of up to 200 people. So, for example, you can have a gathering outdoors for a funeral. Ok great, well, in that case, there will be a lot of funeral services on Thanksgiving Day for everyone's pet birds with refreshments served after the memorial service.

For those with questions about how they can enforce things like this, here's how it's happening in New York:

That's totally out of line.

Sure, but why is 2 hours the magic number? I've certainly heard the 15 minutes in 24 hours rule but haven't heard the 2 hour rule. Maybe by 2 hours if you're going to get it you've already gotten it. So why not stay for the rest of the football game and some pumpkin pie?

That said, we're not seeing my elderly parents on Thanksgiving. We are however, exposing ourselves to our 2 adult kids, one of whom will be returning from a large college campus. Good thing I don't have to send her back after 2 hours.

The CA gov's guidelines also allow outdoor gatherings of up to 200 people. So, for example, you can have a gathering outdoors for a funeral. Ok great, well, in that case, there will be a lot of funeral services on Thanksgiving Day for everyone's pet birds with refreshments served after the memorial service.
RIP to Tom the turkey. 🦃

I live in So Cal. People will not follow these guidelines. People have been having large parties in my neighborhood throughout the pandemic.
The recent spike in cases has been tied to the Lakers "celebrations" (masses of people in the streets, looting and all) and now, with the Dodgers win, I'm sure it'll happen again.

Sure, but why is 2 hours the magic number? I've certainly heard the 15 minutes in 24 hours rule but haven't heard the 2 hour rule. Maybe by 2 hours if you're going to get it you're going to get it. So why not stay for the rest of the football game?

That said, we're not seeing my elderly parents on Thanksgiving. We are however, exposing ourselves to our 2 adult kids, one of whom will be returning from a large college campus. Good thing I don't have to send her back after 2 hours.

Everybody should just do a drive by progressive dinner. Your guests drive by, they hold their plates out the window, and you play a game of "Can we toss the mashed potatoes on the plate?" 50 extra points for every player who gets both the turkey AND the mashed potatoes on the plate from 6 feet away. :rotfl2:

For those with questions about how they can enforce things like this, here's how it's happening in New York:

Not going to even comment on such twitter handle. But, did you hear the very beginning of why the cops were there to begin with? They got a noise complaint.

For the 100th time, this is a California GUIDELINE. I don’t know how this can be explained any more simply.

In my area, you are not allowed to eat inside a restaurant but 2 miles down the road in a different county, you can. What I find odd about his Thanksgiving guideline is that 4 weeks later, schools are opening. Those little critters are virus carriers. I know little kids aren't getting sick but they will carry it home to parents, grandparents and the teachers.
Not statewide though. January will be the first chance our schools have of going back in person.

Gov. Newsom can go take a long walk off a short pier as far as I'm concerned. His 'guidelines' are a ridiculous overreach. Just wait...he'll turn it into an executive order before too long.
I’m not a big fan of his, but no he won’t. They issued guidelines for Halloween and they’ve stayed that way. Whether people listen or not is an entirely different story, but in truth it would be irresponsible for him NOT to issue guidelines in the middle of a pandemic.

As frustrating as it is at times and it really is, I’d rather slow and steady through the winter than ping ponging with spikes like other states.

Everybody should just do a drive by progressive dinner. Your guests drive by, they hold their plates out the window, and you play a game of "Can we toss the mashed potatoes on the plate?" 50 extra points for every player who gets both the turkey AND the mashed potatoes on the plate from 6 feet away. :rotfl2:

Reminds me of the story my mother used to tell us of her BFF from Denmark. At a dinner party she asked her friend to get the tossed salad. Her friend confusingly took the salad opened up the window and tossed it!! For real! :rotfl:

Not going to even comment on such twitter handle. But, did you hear the very beginning of why the cops were there to begin with? They got a noise complaint.

For the 100th time, this is a California GUIDELINE. I don’t know how this can be explained any more simply.

Because they are not written as guidelines. I found the actual link to the official press release.

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CI...VID-19-Transmission-for-Gatherings-10-09.aspx
They call them guidelines, but they are using language like "Mandatory Requirements" and "prohibited" or "must comply". They took out "not permitted", but they refer to permitted gatherings, which infers that gatherings outside this scope are not permitted.

I just couldn't abide by these "guidelines" I'm the "orphan" house for Thanksgiving. All my kids adult friends (who can't get home to their families) gather at my house. This year, due to covid, we're expecting about 10. Now we see these 'kids' frequently, almost all work remotely at home, so I feel very safe hosting. Plus we spend a lot of the time socializing outside.
(2 hours! disinfect bathroom...:rotfl2:)

I don't see any reason why Thanksgiving this year will differ (at least for us) from Easter this past spring. Basically, just our family. We can't do outdoors for Thanksgiving (just like with Easter) in our area, so we won't be having additional family over, simple as that, unfortunately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter