California Thanksgiving Day Guidelines

I seriously doubt it will be coming from the White House.
Agreed. That ship has sailed. I think the approach may be different depending on who’s elected, but we’re not going to a national shut down.

But he also said that Newsom would issue a lockdown for CA back in July and disagreed with me when I said that wouldn’t happen.

I'm going to say perception and what is going on in a particular state has a lot to do with how one takes these guidelines.

My state recommended no trick or treating, trunk or treating, etc. but they did give a long list of recommendations should one choose to do those (I posted that on another thread when they were released--the document was too long to quote). That said restrictions are different in my state and recommendations don't come across to me that is (or most people I've talked with about upcoming Halloween stuff) as overbearing control. Whether someone follows the guidance or not is the same everywhere as in some people will some people won't.

I do think if my governor put out the same exact wording it probably wouldn't be well received regardless but if this had been in April-June the entire environment would have been way different in the state where there was constant battling for control back then. In CA (and other states) it's that way now and there's high angst, high emotions towards restrictions and more, so guidance, and worded such that it is, in that exact environment may come across as much more than mere guidance and more like a restriction or punishable offense even if that's not the intent. I don't disagree that guidance should be given. Ideally it should be only the health department talking as that can take bias towards a person in particular out of it IMO.

It’s really been an enlightening experience this year and a lot of people have revealed themselves. I am in one of the worst states in terms of cases right now, everything is open and I wouldn’t define any current restrictions as strict. The governor orders an indoor mask mandate which seems like the least that can be done at this point and people here lost their minds. He got sued and they are currently in the process of trying to recall him. There are pockets of protestors at busy intersections protesting him...because he wants to save some lives? I never knew so many adults would actually be children.

This pandemic has really made people show their butts, that’s for sure.

I feel like we could be in much better shape now, but we blew our chance. Now we are reaping what we sow.

Last edited:
Agreed. That ship has sailed. I think the approach may be different depending on who’s elected, but we’re not going to a national shut down.

But he also said that Newsom would issue a lockdown for CA back in July and disagreed with me when I said that wouldn’t happen.
LOL. Depending on the results of the election, that ship has sailed, or that ship is just being launched. The recent national spikes haven't helped.

I guess I don't understand what the big deal is here. "You can't tell me what to do" seems like a poor way to deal with a deadly pandemic. Of course there aren't going to be Thanksgiving Police. Let's hope people have enough sense to go along with Newsom just because it makes sense to limit exposure during, I repeat, a deadly pandemic. We're not fighting each other, we're fighting a virus.

We haven't traveled to see our kids and grandkids since this thing started and don't expect to see them until it's safe. I envy families who live close enough to be able to follow CA's restrictions. This year we'll eat Thanksgiving alone and be grateful for our health and the health of our family members who are all being careful and are lucky enough to be able to afford to do it. Hopefully by this time next year we can all have the Thanksgiving we really want.

LOL. Depending on the results of the election, that ship has sailed, or that ship is just being launched. The recent national spikes haven't helped.
The ship on any national lockdown has sailed. And would likely be deemed unconstitutional if attempted. We may get a national mask mandate, but that’s only as good as the people enforcing it and we know how well that has gone. It doesn’t mean that nothing will be done, but a lockdown isn’t it.

The ship on any national lockdown has sailed. And would likely be deemed unconstitutional if attempted. We may get a national mask mandate, but that’s only as good as the people enforcing it and we know how well that has gone. It doesn’t mean that nothing will be done, but a lockdown isn’t it.

Biden said it’s up to the states to enforce mask mandates. He said this in his town hall a couple of weeks ago. They asked him about it. He said they can only advise and suggest, not enforce.

I hope this doesn’t violate the political rule. That wasn’t my intent.

A National mandate isn't happening. Even if a current administration had the will I don't see how it would be deemed constitutional.

I don't think the suggestion from the governor are bad at all and I frankly agree with not opening Disneyland. I don't think WDW, Cedar Point, or anywhere else that people from all over the country gather should be open. We are in the middle of a pandemic that our own actions have prolonged.

And in case anyone wants to counter with "there hasn't been an outbreak traced to WDW" of course not but not because those parks aren't spreading Covid around like Oprah with prizes. It is because there is no contact tracing and someone that gets sick 5, 10, 15, etc days after a WDW has no way to know whether they got it there or along the way. The bottom line is people should not be straying far from home for anything unnecessary at this point and a Disney trip is never, in any possible application of the definition, necessary.

Biden said it’s up to the states to enforce mask mandates. He said this in his town hall a couple of weeks ago. They asked him about it. He said they can only advise and suggest, not enforce.

I hope this doesn’t violate the political rule. That wasn’t my intent.
I agree. I wasn’t actually suggesting we’d get one, more saying that it might the only thing that I could see happening on a national level (and in splitting hairs, he did say nationally on all federal property). But that there was no way, regardless of who wins on Tuesday, we’re getting a national lockdown.

I do not see how this will get enforced. Every weekend I have seen a bouncy house somewhere for a bday or whatever celebration. Neighbors down the street have people over every holiday that has passed 20+ ppl. We have seen weddings and baby showers being celebrated. I see friends and family having get together with other friends and family of theirs. I do not see people stopping to listen now to the guidelines for thanksgiving By now people will just keep doing what they have been doing.

No, we shouldn’t be doing that, and that’s the reason the US has been a complete disaster since March. It’s a public health issue, not just a personal health decision. This is the time to think of everyone, not just yourself.

We have flattened the curve where I live so I have no issue celebrating Thanksgiving with my family who I have been getting together with for months anyway.
The goal was to flatten the curve so the hospitals weren't overwhelmed and we've succeeded in doing that here. I'm not going to stay away from my family because some areas haven't managed that or because for some the goal has changed to keeping everyone from getting it.
If I was in an area where the numbers were high then that would be different, but not every single part of the US is a disaster. They don't have to stay locked up because your area can't get their **** together.

We have flattened the curve where I live so I have no issue celebrating Thanksgiving with my family who I have been getting together with for months anyway.
The goal was to flatten the curve so the hospitals weren't overwhelmed and we've succeeded in doing that here. I'm not going to stay away from my family because some areas haven't managed that or because for some the goal has changed to keeping everyone from getting it.
If I was in an area where the numbers were high then that would be different, but not every single part of the US is a disaster. They don't have to stay locked up because your area can't get their **** together.
Ok..I'll say it again I suppose...I didn't say anything about locking people up and yet your entire post is arguing against locking people up. Where does that keep coming from? Surely there is something in the area between doing whatever we want and locking everyone up, right?

Ok..I'll say it again I suppose...I didn't say anything about locking people up and yet your entire post is arguing against locking people up. Where does that keep coming from? Surely there is something in the area between doing whatever we want and locking everyone up, right?

Maybe you could quote my post and bold the part where I mentioned anything about locking people up other than the the last sentence.
Since the point of my post went over your head- it was about spending time with family and not keeping away from them because parts of the country have high infection numbers.
That would be the area between whatever we want and locking everyone up :thumbsup2

Maybe you could quote my post and bold the part where I mentioned anything about locking people up other than the the last sentence.
Since the point of my post went over your head- it was about spending time with family and not keeping away from them because parts of the country have high infection numbers.
Your entire post is about not needing to stay home, i.e. locked up. I said nothing about staying home or staying away from family so I don't know why you even quoted me.

If only we had not behaved like a bunch of toddlers throwing a temper tantrum over wearing a mask...

What a different place we would be in if we had leadership that listened to the science and evolved as the science changed. Instead, we've been divided by something that has cost 230,000 Americans their lives. It's so sickening.

My son (firefighter/paramed) and his family (wife is an ER nurse), about 45 minutes away, have hosted Thanksgiving for my daughter (about 5 minutes away) and her kids and my wife and I for about 5 years now. This year, the three family units will all be celebrating at their/our own homes.

Since March, I have seen him and his family 2 times, in his driveway, and my daughter and her kids about 6 times since march, in our driveway.

If people did what they were supposed to do, the governors, mayors, etc., would not have to put out onerous guidelines. Here in Illinois, almost all of the state is going back to no inside restaurant dining and no inside bars starting tomorrow, right as we are staring at winter time. Two months ago, Illinois was a 'model' state with people doing the right things. About 'only' 400 new cases a day. Now, 4,000 a day with over 6,000 one day last week. If people would only listen and do the right things. :sad2:

Also, the greater majority of new cases are stemming from family/friends gatherings.
I disagree. In Europe, ppl did do it the “right way” & now there will be another shut down b/c as soon as you start lifting restrictions it comes back.

Thanksgiving day will be the same as every other day around here, just with turkey. I'm not about to endanger myself and others for a Norman Rockwell painting. There will be more Thanksgivings down the road.
Maybe but like a pp said not necessarily for everyone so for some it might be more important than to others.

You didn’t say anything about lockdowns or mental health in your previous post and neither did I. It was entirely ‘every family should decide what’s best to them and no one can judge their decisions’. By that logic I could go out and get my entire family sick and then bring them all to church without masks because that’s what we decided to do as a family and no one can judge my decision. My point is that’s not how we should look at this because people are inherently selfish and if we continue to have that mindset this will only continue to get worse.

Nothing has been locked down since summer began so I don’t know where that is coming from. It doesn’t matter that ‘most’ people aren’t dying from it, 230k have died from it and we can make pretty small sacrifices to save some people’s lives.

The solution? Care about other people other than just your own family. Wear a mask, follow current common sense guidelines, don’t only see through the lens of protecting yourself from getting sick, don’t assume when someone says we should protect other people that they are saying we need to lock ourselves inside forever. Those would be good starting points to get to a solution.

The fact that these things still need to be said after 9 months is why this continues to get worse.
Here’s the thing, most ppl understandably are not going to care about other ppl more than their own families. So an example a pp said it might be her mom’s last thanksgiving, I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect to put other strangers who she MAY help before her own mother. It’s just not likely going to happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!