California Thanksgiving Day Guidelines

Like Europe?
Not really, France is back on a 4 week national lock down and Italy is trying not to go that route. On top of that, people are rioting over there over another lock down. People in general do not do well in isolation.

The goal wasn't to get to 0 cases, but to flatten to curve so hospitals weren't overwhelmed.

Not really, France is back on a 4 week national lock down and Italy is trying not to go that route. On top of that, people are rioting over there over another lock down. People in general do not do well in isolation.

The goal wasn't to get to 0 cases, but to flatten to curve so hospitals weren't overwhelmed.
No I know. That was exactly my point!

Don't forget to replace your mask while chewing:

"Going out to eat with members of your household this weekend? Don't forget to keep your mask on in between bites.

Do your part to keep those around you healthy. #SlowtheSpreadhttps://t.co/snYe5v55Rw pic.twitter.com/Y4fcDO5Zke"

— Office of the Governor of California (@CAgovernor) October 3, 2020

I really think Newsom is an idiot.

Like Europe?

Nope. From what I understand they had it under control, then when they lifted quarantine, everybody got complacent. They went back to normal life. Just because cases went down, does not mean things can go back to normal. People just want to be done with covid, but it does not work that way. People quarantine, cases go down, but it is still out there waiting for us. It didn't go away. We still must be diligent about masks, hand washing and social distancing. People are refusing to do those things.

Nope. From what I understand they had it under control, then when they lifted quarantine, everybody got complacent. They went back to normal life. Just because cases went down, does not mean things can go back to normal. People just want to be done with covid, but it does not work that way. People quarantine, cases go down, but it is still out there waiting for us. It didn't go away. We still must be diligent about masks, hand washing and social distancing. People are refusing to do those things.
I think the reason the person brought that up is because you said "we are a nation of toddlers" which means you were speaking about the U.S.

Their point was in Europe (and I'm adding elsewhere in my own comment) resurgences happened there too. Even in your above comment you were talking about people being complacent in Europe. So Europe and everywhere else that has seen a resurgence in cases due to laxness is a nation(s)/region full of toddlers if using your phrase.

And on the flip side, you have people who are dying because of quarantine! People who were once sober are not, folks who absolutely need a paycheck will go to work (factories, etc) and unfortunately the mental health system is overworked and will be for some time. Do those who loose their lives in that manner not matter? There absolutely has to be a balance of the two. We can't wrap ourselves in saran wrap every time there is another case. The best medicine for someone might be to eat a holiday meal with the ones they love. They will absolutely risk everything to do so.

And yes, take precautions, listen to doctors, etc. It's all important. I think it goes to show there is no easy answer to any of it.

I’ll be so happy when this is over and people can argue about something else.
I would imagine it will be a long time for that as in several years. And then the discussions about what we did during it and the lasting effects so that will be at least another few years.

I'm not saying any one person has to engage in such discussions for the foreseeable future (and for sanity sake many of us probably won't we'll be too burned out on it) just that it won't be over for at least several years especially with vaccinations for people to not argue or discuss about something related to it.

I would imagine that in 2022 the DIS discussions will ease up but that's just purely a guess.

I think the reason the person brought that up is because you said "we are a nation of toddlers" which means you were speaking about the U.S.

Their point was in Europe (and I'm adding elsewhere in my own comment) resurgences happened there too. Even in your above comment you were talking about people being complacent in Europe. So Europe and everywhere else that has seen a resurgence in cases due to laxness is a nation(s)/region full of toddlers if using your phrase.
And on the flip side, you have people who are dying because of quarantine! People who were once sober are not, folks who absolutely need a paycheck will go to work (factories, etc) and unfortunately the mental health system is overworked and will be for some time. Do those who loose their lives in that manner not matter? There absolutely has to be a balance of the two. We can't wrap ourselves in saran wrap every time there is another case. The best medicine for someone might be to eat a holiday meal with the ones they love. They will absolutely risk everything to do so.

And yes, take precautions, listen to doctors, etc. It's all important. I think it goes to show there is no easy answer to any of it.

No need to stay inside and be in lockdown. We can live with this virus. Just be smart. Wear mask, wash hands, social distance. Many refuse to do this. People want to go back to normal but we can't. We will never get out of this hole unless we stop fighting each other and do what it takes to stop the spread. People are making it difficult by refusing to comply. Wear a mask, wash hands, social distance.

Last edited:
Here’s the thing, most ppl understandably are not going to care about other ppl more than their own families. So an example a pp said it might be her mom’s last thanksgiving, I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect to put other strangers who she MAY help before her own mother. It’s just not likely going to happen.
How does ‘You should care about other people’ = ‘Care about strangers more than your own family’? You know that’s not what I was saying.

No need to stay inside and be in lockdown. We can live with this virus. Just be smart. Wear mask, wash hands, social distance. Many refuse to do this. People want to go back to normal so they say, "I am sick of covid so I am going to live my life, you can't make me wear a mask!" I see people with masks around their chins. We will never get out of this hole unless we stop fighting each other and do what it takes to stop the spread. It's not that hard, but people are making it difficult by refusing to comply. Wear a mask, wash hands, social distance.
Apologies but I didn't say anything related to what you're talking about. I was explaining what my impression of the other person's comment in relation to mentioning Europe and what your comment was.

Did you mean to quote me?

In relation to your above comment I agree about not fighting each other but it's precisely why I avoid name-calling people. I disliked the term covidiots, I dislike the constant "you're just a selfish person" or "you're like a toddler throwing a tantrum" or the "you're just killing grandma" spiel. Human nature, on a practical level, has shown us that pretty much everywhere struggles with some of the very things we do here. A large difference I've seen just from being on a few other threads is globally people are treating each other in a different manner than we are here. Here we're too busy being divided and an us vs them that goes well and truly beyond political affiliations just on a basic human level mentality to come together..shame that it is.

In case some haven’t seen...California is doing better than most states, especially the Midwest and Southern states. I’m happier to be in CA than in some of these other states right now.

I feel like we could be in much better shape now, but we blew our chance. Now we are reaping what we sow.

Or rather, some people blew the chance for the others of us who have been responsible and keeping others safe this whole time. It's so disappointing to see folks on this thread basically throwing a tantrum and saying "I'll do what I want" when what they want puts others at risk. That's why this has lasted so long in the US and why it's going to keep going on for a long time. :(

My family has been following social distancing guidelines since the lockdown started, and we've already told the kids we won't be seeing friends or family for Thanksgiving or Christmas this year. It sucks and I hate it, but I'll do what I have to in order to keep others safe, including folks I don't know.

I would imagine it will be a long time for that as in several years. And then the discussions about what we did during it and the lasting effects so that will be at least another few years.

I'm not saying any one person has to engage in such discussions for the foreseeable future (and for sanity sake many of us probably won't we'll be too burned out on it) just that it won't be over for at least several years especially with vaccinations for people to not argue or discuss about something related to it.

I would imagine that in 2022 the DIS discussions will ease up but that's just purely a guess.

For me it's more that this particular argument about what everyone should or should not do has been going on for maybe 8 months? I thought we all knew what we had to do.

I agree with you, though. This pandemic will be a topic of heated discussion for years. It might be what finally drives me off social media. :)

Since one side of the discussion has called the other side of the discussion toddlers, can that side of the discussion call the toddler calling side sheep?

Because that is all I see. People who can't think for themselves constantly spouting off what main stream media tells them and what the government side who wants to control us tells them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!