California Thanksgiving Day Guidelines

And on the flip side, you have people who are dying because of quarantine! People who were once sober are not, folks who absolutely need a paycheck will go to work (factories, etc) and unfortunately the mental health system is overworked and will be for some time. Do those who loose their lives in that manner not matter? There absolutely has to be a balance of the two. We can't wrap ourselves in saran wrap every time there is another case. The best medicine for someone might be to eat a holiday meal with the ones they love. They will absolutely risk everything to do so.

If they were only risking their health, I'd say go for it.

Unfortunately, they aren't.

Assuming someone catches Covid from a Thanksgiving feast, they could forward it to first responders or medical staff. Who in turn, forward it to their families. The sixth grader in a family, could in turn, forward it to my granddaughter.

It's a vicious cycle. With no good solution.

Since one side of the discussion has called the other side of the discussion toddlers, can that side of the discussion call the toddler calling side sheep?

Because that is all I see. People who can't think for themselves constantly spouting off what main stream media tells them and what the government side who wants to control us tells them.

Sure, if following the guidelines of the health and infectious disease experts makes me a sheep then BAH.

It's a suggestion.

"What can I do to lose weight?"..

Doctor:
Eat healthy
Exercise
Get plenty of sleep

Doesn't mean the dr is going to be at your door each day making sure. It means they gave you the tools to be successful, and it is up to you to do the work...

"What can we do to have a safe-in-this-virus-Thanksgiving...?"

Government:
Limit indoor time
Limit amount of time
Gather in smaller groups

Doesn't mean the government will be at your door making sure. They gave you the tools, and you do the rest...

Have a great day!

And, baaaaa. I will gladly wear the sheep title...keeping my family safe for as long as I can.

Last edited:
For the most part people only care when it does or can effect them directly. Since this virus has the potential to hit their family or loved ones they care. They surely aren’t worried about strangers.

They don’t care about the people who aren’t being paid, losing their jobs because of lockdowns, not being able to buy groceries, losing their insurance, facing eviction, etc. These things don’t hit as close to home for many people (especially on a Disney board) so they’re focused on only the virus. Not the ramifications.

Personally I’d rather have the choice to lose everything I’ve ever worked for. Not just have it striped from me.

Last edited:

This guideline can be helpful. You hear so much, people can get confused and wonder what to do.

Here are your suggested outline to help keep you and your loved ones safe. And allow you to celebrate.

I had a person tell me last week- it keeps spreading cause people keep going out and then she shared, I have severely extended family staying with me this week (from a state with travel restrictions) I calmly asked are you wearing masks in your house visiting with them and she was stunned and told me no. And then she said ohhhhhhh.

Sooooo.........just today our governor here in Michigan is tightening our indoor gatherings going into the holidays/winter months. Her wording hasn't been "guidelines" as we have all been discussing (and obviously arguing about) from the CA governor); she's using the word "restriction".

So enlighten me DISers of very many different places (states, provinces countries) would you feel those two words should be comprehended as one in the same meaning?

Please I'm NOT trying to be political or argumentive (or a toddler vs a sheep) just wondering your opinion on the two words.

Michiganders, please jump in with your opinions, too.

It's a smart practice, but crazy that people have to be told the right thing to do, crazy that anyone thinks it's enforceable, crazy to think people will do the right thing anyway, crazy to think it matters at this point since the spread is uncontained.

This. I read your post to DH and we totally agree.

Sooooo.........just today our governor here in Michigan is tightening our indoor gatherings going into the holidays/winter months. Her wording hasn't been "guidelines" as we have all been discussing (and obviously arguing about) from the CA governor); she's using the word "restriction".

So enlighten me DISers of very many different places (states, provinces countries) would you feel those two words should be comprehended as one in the same meaning?

Please I'm NOT trying to be political or argumentive (or a toddler vs a sheep) just wondering your opinion on the two words.

I believe that the Michigan restrictions apply to restaurants and such and not personal households. The goal is to reduce the size of gatherings within those establishments, hopefully to prevent super spreader events.

If they were only risking their health, I'd say go for it.

Unfortunately, they aren't.

Assuming someone catches Covid from a Thanksgiving feast, they could forward it to first responders or medical staff. Who in turn, forward it to their families. The sixth grader in a family, could in turn, forward it to my granddaughter.

It's a vicious cycle. With no good solution.
I totally understand that.

I have been in a unique situation for the last few months being in the hospital. My husband has just been allowed to come and visit for 1 hour, every other day. I can't wait to put this past us and move on. I haven't seen my kids in person since August. My youngest turned 1 last week. It kills me not to be around them and for them not to see me. So yes, I do want people to do right!

What I alluded to was that someone might travel to see their family (hopefully in a smaller gathering) because if not the alternative is much worse. Any loss due to C19 isn't good.

Crazy or smart?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/c...rqV25yS03rQSwAE9qdTdyp3TVVaME&ocid=uxbndlbing
I may understand the need but putting into practice seems somewhat unattainable.

- Only 3 households (including the hosts). That means I couldn't have all three of my kids' families over
- Must be held outdoors
- No longer than 2 hours
- No one allowed in house except for using the bathroom and it must be sanitized frequently

Many more restrictions but those are some that would never work for us.....

MJ
I vote :crazy:

I really feel sorry for y'all.

The word "restrictions" to me has more weight than "guidelines". Both words were used in the article I linked to in the first post. The bolded below from the article sounds like they are more than just guidelines.....but an absolute directive to follow. Enforceable.....probably not.

The new rules come with strict restrictions that aim to help reduce the risk of spreading infection.

You want to have a great big Thanksgiving? Great! Strict quarantine for 2 weeks, have your big Thanksgiving, then quarantine again. But, no. People won’t do that. They’ll jump right from living normally to a maskless big risky indoor family gathering and then go back out into the world without a care about exposing someone else.

It’s really stunning that people can’t take the responsibility on their own to wear masks and avoid large gatherings. It’s an incredible lack of respect and self control. If people could be trusted to approach covid with caution and respect for others, none of these restrictions would even need to be suggested.

Do I want to have our normal 20-25 family member thanksgiving? Of course. But I understand that we are in a different situation this year. Thankfully, our entire family takes covid seriously and feels the same about it.

I care about strangers getting it. I care about our health care workers. That’s why if I have to go somewhere, I wear a mask. That’s why I avoid large gatherings. So that if I was positive and didn’t know, I wouldn’t pass it to someone else. A family member, a stranger, a friend, whomever.

Last edited:
You want to have a great big Thanksgiving? Great! Strict quarantine for 2 weeks, have your big Thanksgiving, then quarantine again. But, no. People won’t do that. They’ll jump right from living normally to a maskless big risky indoor family gathering and then go back out into the world without a care about exposing someone else.

It’s really stunning that people can’t take the responsibility on their own to wear masks and avoid large gatherings. It’s an incredible lack of respect and self control. If people could be trusted to approach covid with caution and respect for others, none of these restrictions would even need to be suggested.

Do I want to have our normal 20-25 family member thanksgiving? Of course. But I understand that we are in a different situation this year. Thankfully, our entire family takes covid seriously and feels the same about it.

I care about strangers getting it. I care about our health care workers. That’s why if I have to go somewhere, I wear a mask. That’s why I avoid large gatherings. So that if I was positive and didn’t know, I wouldn’t pass it to someone else. A family member, a stranger, a friend, whomever.
This hits the nail on the head and it's why myself and others have been calling some adults 'children' and 'toddlers'. They want their ice cream but they aren't willing to put in the work to get it, they just want it now! Regardless of the repercussions.

This hits the nail on the head and it's why myself and others have been calling some adults 'children' and 'toddlers'. They want their ice cream but they aren't willing to put in the work to get it, they just want it now! Regardless of the repercussions.

Yep

I am getting really tired of hearing, "if you're so afraid just stay home!" How about let's get everything opened up with safety measures in place to try and keep ourselves and our communities healthy? Let's wear masks and give each other some space.

It's not feasible for me to stay home ALL of the time, but I try to as much as possible because of people like that.

We're having 5 including DH and myself, none of them strangers. (our choice) And I go have my Infusions every week at a hospital so I care very much about my awesome nurses and other employees at my hospital.

The only reason I'm even stating these facts to you and possibly others that seemingly want to put us possibly on one side or other of some fence....is just because I'm concerned about what a guideline vs restriction actually mean. Doesn't mean I'm "disrespecting" the Virus (and people) at all.

Again, my opinion but I feel it's getting old to say one DISer is a sheep or one is a toddler. It's too bad we have gotten to that.......:hug:

We're having 5 including DH and myself, none of them strangers. (our choice) And I go have my Infusions every week at a hospital so I care very much about my awesome nurses and other employees at my hospital.

The only reason I'm even stating these facts to you and possibly others that seemingly want to put us possibly on one side or other of some fence....is just because I'm concerned about what a guideline vs restriction actually mean. Doesn't mean I'm "disrespecting" the Virus (and people) at all.

Again, my opinion but I feel it's getting old to say one DISer is a sheep or one is a toddler. It's too bad we have gotten to that.......:hug:
It's not Thanksgiving but I do understand what you mean about guideline vs restriction. Who knows how my state or area will word it come the holidays but here's the wording on my state's COVID page:

They do make sure to tell you to check individual areas because they may have stricter things but they def. word it as guidance as a state level. The actual document is broken up into Halloween Activities with Not Recommended and Recommended, then Personal Protection Measures, Safer Trick or Treating and “Trunk or Treating”, Halloween Parties and General Halloween Health and Safety Tips. It pretty much covers all giving good advice IMO. Like I would have never thought of doing this which is under the Recommended Halloween Activities: "Drive by events or contests where individuals dress up or decorate vehicles and drive by judges that are appropriately physically distanced"

I would personally appreciate it if my state gave guidance documents for Thanksgiving and Christmas the more information the better IMO but we'll see.

I don't see how any restrictions our governor attempts to impose will be effective at this point. Masks aren't being enforced since the state supreme court ruling essentially ending the ability to do so. Capacity restrictions are being ignored or implemented in such a way as to undermine the whole intent (like closing half the dining room - half capacity, but no additional space between parties). Contact tracing is a joke, with most people declining to cooperate, and the phone number for the governor's office is circulating in comments on the new rules as part of a coordinated effort to undermine them even before they go into effect. So why would anyone think holiday gathering restrictions would be followed?

I don't see how any restrictions our governor attempts to impose will be effective at this point. Masks aren't being enforced since the state supreme court ruling essentially ending the ability to do so. Capacity restrictions are being ignored or implemented in such a way as to undermine the whole intent (like closing half the dining room - half capacity, but no additional space between parties). Contact tracing is a joke, with most people declining to cooperate, and the phone number for the governor's office is circulating in comments on the new rules as part of a coordinated effort to undermine them even before they go into effect. So why would anyone think holiday gathering restrictions would be followed?

Thanks Colleen for your reply. It is nice to hear what other Michiganders (or are we Michiganians ;) ) feel about all this. I know you live more in the demographics of two of my sons so it's very interesting your perspective . You echo my sons. I live in a very small town (not even a traffic light!) so except for shopping at Meijer and going to the hospital I really don't see a lot of Michigan (right now) and their Virus activities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!