Call your shot (NBA)

I'll probably regret asking this question after reading the answer. Why do the Raptors have "North" on their uniforms and the Warriors "Town." Is that their normal attire or just for the playoffs or finals? And I thought the Raptors color was purple, not red.

I think those are just part of the NBA's "City" edition jerseys: https://www.nba.com/article/2018/11/01/city-edition-uniforms-2018-19

I know a couple years ago, the Cavaliers had a version of their jerseys that said 'The Land' (short for CleveLand). I think Golden State's were somewhat of a riff from that. 'The North' is what Toronto has been using as a slogan for a few years now, a take off of them being Canada's team, basically.

Another thing I don't understand: Golden State scores a basket, Toronto gets possession of the ball and decides to call a time out. Fine. But not only does Toronto get a breather, they get to inbound the ball more than halfway down the court instead of resuming from under GS's basket. Sounds pretty bush league to me.

The timeout made sense for Toronto, especially since they were having trouble inbounding the ball in that spot. The ability to move the ball to midcourt has been an NBA rule for years now. Kind of a dumb rule, but again, it's been the rule in the NBA for what seems like forever.

Congratulations to Toronto and all of Canada.

I watched most of the 4th quarter and the last 60 seconds seemed to be a comedy of errors that took 15 minutes to complete.

I'll probably regret asking this question after reading the answer. Why do the Raptors have "North" on their uniforms and the Warriors "Town." Is that their normal attire or just for the playoffs or finals? And I thought the Raptors color was purple, not red.

Another thing I don't understand: Golden State scores a basket, Toronto gets possession of the ball and decides to call a time out. Fine. But not only does Toronto get a breather, they get to inbound the ball more than halfway down the court instead of resuming from under GS's basket. Sounds pretty bush league to me.

Those were the alternate jerseys. The Warriors wear "The Town" jerseys with the oak tree similar to the City of Oakland's official logo. That's a take off on "The City" jerseys (representing San Francisco) that were previously worn by the San Francisco Warriors. There's another alternate jersey that says "THE BAY" with a stylized Golden Gate Bridge and Chinese symbols.

As for the timeouts and advancing the ball, there's a rule about that in the final two minutes of regulation and OTs. A team can take out the ball on the side of their front court if they call a timeout after a made basket or if they gain possession and don't attempt to advance the ball before the timeout is called. Some teams will try and save as many as possible for those situations.

Sometimes players will get a ball in the backcourt and take two steps then call a timeout. But in that case they can't inbounds in the front court.

Last edited:
Congrats to the Raptors - they really earned this title, even going back to earlier series in the playoffs (including the 5 bounce game 7 winner by Kahwi).

News reports say that Klay tore his ACL on that play :( :( That's two Warriors now with year-long rehabs in front of them. :(

I have to admit, as a Cavs fan, I hadn't watched a lot of playoff basketball this season, but for whatever reason, I ended up watching all 6 games of the Finals this year. It was a really interesting series to watch as a (mostly) objective viewer. Yeah, I'm not going to deny I was rooting against the Warriors - it's human nature to root against the dynasty, especially one that beat your team often.

Yep. That was sad to see Klay go down. Knew it was either MCL or ACL right away - being that I got my medical degree in the mail last week. Laughing.

Raptors - highest pick in the draft was 15 for our roster. Resilience!

Down in every series and got to the Finals. That's the piece for me.

Five road games in a row - history for the playoffs.

Funniest point of the night.

This young guy has us hold his WE THE NORTH banner and take a picture with him.

Why? Well besides celebrating!

He says "I am alone because my girlfriend thinks I am way too drunk. She left me here and took my jersey too!"

Hey wait! I guess it is not a funny story.

Shame on me for laughing thinking about it. :rotfl2::rotfl:

What a fun night.

2019-06-16 22.43.43.png 2019-06-16 22.42.37.png

@Disneylover99

Drake wants his chips with dip. I sent him out your way.

And OT - Ibaka gets his Congolese food delivered from a Pickering restaurant. The owner says she has no delivery option, but she delivers to him!

Last edited:

This is kind of weird, but the Alameda County Sheriff's Office is pursuing a misdemeanor battery charge against Raptors President and GM Masai Ujiri. Apparently he was asked to present his credentials to go onto the floor and somehow shoved an Alameda County Sheriff's deputy where he also hit him in the face. The hit to the face may have been unintentional.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ive-accused-hitting-cop-after-win/1453997001/“We were told to strictly enforce the credentialing policy and not allow anyone onto the court without a credential, so our deputies were doing that,” Sgt. Ray Kelly, a spokesman for the sheriff’s office, said. “Our deputy contacted Mr. Masai Ujiri as he attempted to walk onto the court. He had no credential displayed, and our deputy asked for his credential.

“Mr. Ujiri didn’t produce them and pushed our deputy out of the way to gain access to the court. At that point our deputy tried to stop him and pushed him backward and then Mr. Ujiri came back with a second shove, a more significant push that, with his forward momentum, his arm struck our deputy in the face.

“At that point our deputy pushed Mr. Ujiri away again and some NBA security people and others intervened and he ended up walking onto the court.”

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2...es-alameda-county-sheriffs-deputy-nba-finals/
Some reports were that he was holding his credentials in his hand rather than hung around the neck where it could be seen. The Alameda County Sheriff's Office says that he didn't present them and then tried to shove his way past the deputy, then he tried again before he showed his credentials.

Klay Thompson apparently thought he was OK. I've heard about ACL tears before, and supposedly after the initial pain it doesn't really feel that bad. Athletes can still walk, but without an intact ACL there won't be a full range of motion. Then it will start swelling up in a few hours, but not where it's painful. I've known a few people who had torn ACLs and I was told that it just "feels weird" where someone tries to make an athletic move with the knee and just can't. But Thompson was fully capable of walking back onto the court and shooting free throws.

https://www.sfgate.com/warriors/art...recovery-return-Steve-Kerr-Final-13997860.php
I've witnessed a few ACL tears in my time watching sports. Most often it seems to be non-contact, but in Thompson's case he clearly landed awkwardly where he knee bent strangely. Immediately I was thinking of what happened to Shaun Livingston, whose tore up all major ligaments in his knee and was told there was a chance that he might need to have his leg amputate.

Thanks for the explanations of the timeout rule and the alternate uniforms. I suppose those uniforms look no more ridiculous than the NHL's alternates.

Wow. With everything going on the NBA is going to be wide open next year. Exciting times.

Houston should stick it out but that's probably not going to happen.

Thanks for the explanations of the timeout rule and the alternate uniforms. I suppose those uniforms look no more ridiculous than the NHL's alternates.

Alternate uniforms have been around for years. The Warriors have been playing in variations of "The City" jerseys for years, although they're not exactly faithful to the originals, which didn't include player names. Mostly it's been throwbacks, but there's the "Earned edition", a Christmas Day only jersey, and various other ones. I think over the season the Warriors have worn maybe 8 different designs not including home/away colors. Also - most have probably noticed that some games were played with both teams wearing colors.

I think in NCAA basketball the rule used to allow advancing the ball after a timeout, but that was changed.

Wow. With everything going on the NBA is going to be wide open next year. Exciting times.

Houston should stick it out but that's probably not going to happen.

Word is that Harden and Paul aren't getting along any more. Even if the Warriors sign KD and Thompson they'll be out for a while. Leonard is expected to sign with an LA team. And Masai Ujiri is probably going to talk to the Wizards about their GM job.

I guess some will question the wisdom of signing KD and Thompson when they obviously will miss all or most of the next season, but I think the Warriors really have to do it. They can also get some salary cap relief with an injured player exception where they can sign a free agent for up to around $9 million without needing to be under the cap.

They're going to be making tons of money with the Chase Center in San Francisco. In Oakland the team didn't own the arena and the city/county (which owned Oracle Arena) were getting revenue from other events. Now the team is getting concert/event revenues and also rent from buildings that they were allowed to build alongside the arena.

So we are to diminish the Raptors win because the Warriors had injured players out? Didn’t see that one coming... lmao
(fwiw Kawai was playing injured)

We played the team that was put on the floor.. actually allot of the time we out played the team on the floor. We played the hand that was dealt us & we’ll take the win with pride and gratitude

The one diminishing the win is you. That's why you're so defensive, you're trying to compare Kawhi's current status to that of Durant, Thompson, and Looney. . I personally don't consider that a laughing my butt off matter. Perhaps you should follow Kawhi's lead.

Word is that Harden and Paul aren't getting along any more. Even if the Warriors sign KD and Thompson they'll be out for a while. Leonard is expected to sign with an LA team. And Masai Ujiri is probably going to talk to the Wizards about their GM job.

I guess some will question the wisdom of signing KD and Thompson when they obviously will miss all or most of the next season, but I think the Warriors really have to do it. They can also get some salary cap relief with an injured player exception where they can sign a free agent for up to around $9 million without needing to be under the cap.

They're going to be making tons of money with the Chase Center in San Francisco. In Oakland the team didn't own the arena and the city/county (which owned Oracle Arena) were getting revenue from other events. Now the team is getting concert/event revenues and also rent from buildings that they were allowed to build alongside the arena.

Harden is a ball hog that won't play defense. That tends to lead to people not getting along with him. As for the Warriors, I sign Thompson and Durant. Although it's a two way street and nobody is sure of what Durant wants. Thompson has said he wants to be a Warrior.

Last edited:
The one diminishing the win is you. That's why you're so defensive, you're trying to compare Kawhi's current status to that of Durant, Thompson, and Looney. . I personally don't consider that a laughing my butt off matter. Perhaps you should follow Kawhi's lead.

Not diminishing a thing. Not feeling the least bit defensive either. I have nothing to defend.

Simply remarking on the many, many comments on social media (and one here) that couldn’t be gracious enough to accept that a win is a win without an excuse for not being the winner - we played the team that we faced and came out ahead. We won against the full team twice at home this season and once at the Oracle. Not sure why the animosity.

Considering those sidelined, is a ‘what if’ it is irrelevant in this case

Not diminishing a thing. Not feeling the least bit defensive either. I have nothing to defend.

Simply remarking on the many, many comments on social media (and one here) that couldn’t be gracious enough to accept that a win is a win without an excuse for not being the winner - we played the team that we faced and came out ahead. We won against the full team twice at home this season and once at the Oracle. Not sure why the animosity.

Considering those sidelined, is a ‘what if’ it is irrelevant in this case
To write off Kawhi's current status as equivalent to that of Durant and Thompson and Looney is simply out of touch with reality. I think the animosity is on your part.
And you chide others for lack of graciousness. Yet your posts of it didn't matter and posts of laughing your butt off regarding the Warriors injuries themselves indicate a lack of graciousness.

Last edited:
Harden is a ball hog that won't play defense. That tends to lead to people not getting along with him. As for the Warriors, I sign Thompson and Durant. Although it's a two way street and nobody is sure of what Durant wants. Thompson has said he wants to be a Warrior.

Durant really hasn't given any indication where he wants to play, has he?

If I'm a GM, I would offer a max deal contract to either KD or Klay, even knowing that it's possible neither one will play all of next season. The hard part for the Warriors would be if they did resign both of them, making any sort of deep playoff run with that much payroll wrapped up in two injured players.

Durant really hasn't given any indication where he wants to play, has he?

If I'm a GM, I would offer a max deal contract to either KD or Klay, even knowing that it's possible neither one will play all of next season. The hard part for the Warriors would be if they did resign both of them, making any sort of deep playoff run with that much payroll wrapped up in two injured players.
Well according to rumor, Durant told Thompson they both have unfinished business and rumor is the Warriors will offer both a max contract. Now whether that means they both have unfinished Warrior business is unclear. But it's a good sign. As for me, I'd offer them both.

Well according to rumor, Durant told Thompson they both have unfinished business and rumor is the Warriors will offer both a max contract. Now whether that means they both have unfinished Warrior business is unclear. But it's a good sign. As for me, I'd offer them both.

Both have done so much for the team and I feel will still be in their primes even after coming back from injury. Thompson has never really relied on quickness. Durant is quick but his talent as an offensive player is his long arms and that he's an incredible shooter who is nearly impossible to block. It may seem strange that a 7 footer doesn't usually drive to the basket, but his height and relative quickness made him the best midrange shooter in the game. He could get that shot off against anyone, and on top of that he had range all the way to the 3 point line.

While I think the ownership is in it for the money, they're not afraid of spending money.

To write off Kawhi's current status as equivalent to that of Durant and Thompson and Looney is simply out of touch with reality. I think the animosity is on your part.
And you chide others for lack of graciousness. Yet your posts of it didn't matter and posts of laughing your butt off regarding the Warriors injuries themselves indicate a lack of graciousness.

Perhaps the problem lies with the fact that you misread. I was laughing at the absurdity of the excuse making for losing not at all about the injured players on either side. I work in a compassionate profession - I can assure you I would never question/judge or laugh at anyone who is hurt, injured or in pain. That would be as far from who I am or what I stand for as a caring person/professional. As far as graciousness goes.. I have said nothing that would speak to a lack of grace. I have not retaliated at you with the venom you have posted in reply to my observational posts about a game. If I wasn’t a gracious individual that could have been different.

Perhaps just scrolling past anything I write might be best from here out. Making generic posts personal and confrontational isn’t necessary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter