Calling All DMV DVC Owners!

woodleygrrl

Lawyer to the Stars
Hey All:

Looks like there are a bunch of threads for regional and state groups for members of DVC, but there does not appear to be one for the DMV! (Delaware, Maryland, VA for yall not here in the Mid-Atlantic). So, I thought I would start one!

I am Jennifer, my husband is Jason and we live in DC. We have been DVC owners since 2009 and somehow we are always borrowing and never have enough points for all the trips we want to take!

We were down in Vero Beach trying to celebrate the end of my Chemo for treatment of breast cancer on March 11th when all hell broke loose. Since then we have not been able to get to WDW or to any of the other resorts but we have a do-over planned for next spring.

Hopefully there are some others from our area here on the Boards. Nice to "meet" you all.

Jennifer

Hey All:

Looks like there are a bunch of threads for regional and state groups for members of DVC, but there does not appear to be one for the DMV! (Delaware, Maryland, VA for yall not here in the Mid-Atlantic). So, I thought I would start one!

I am Jennifer, my husband is Jason and we live in DC. We have been DVC owners since 2009 and somehow we are always borrowing and never have enough points for all the trips we want to take!

We were down in Vero Beach trying to celebrate the end of my Chemo for treatment of breast cancer on March 11th when all hell broke loose. Since then we have not been able to get to WDW or to any of the other resorts but we have a do-over planned for next spring.

Hopefully there are some others from our area here on the Boards. Nice to "meet" you all.

Jennifer

Congratulations on the end of chemo treatment!!

I'm Rob, my wife is Julie, and we live in MD a little north of Baltimore. We just got our membership info for our first resale contract -- 200 points at AKV with an Oct use year -- and are now coming down with a serious case of addonitis looking for a second small contract. We're planning our first trip in Oct 2021 -- taking the in-laws for my mother-in-law's 50th birthday and Disney World's 50th anniversary. DISboards has been a huge help as we navigate this process! I'm slowly becoming a DVC expert... but still a lot left to learn and discover ;)

Jennifer, we wish you the best of luck. My sister had a battle with breast cancer about 7-8 years ago. She is cancer free and doing well. We live a little to the north in New England. The virus cancelled our spring trip too. We will be heading down next month for our fall trip. We have been owners since 2017 and run into the same borrowing problem. Even when they returned 235 points from our spring trip. This will be our 7th DVC trip.

Cometdad2010 watch out for that addonitis. We started with 150 points resale, immediately bought 25 direct for benefits. In 2019 we doubled that and my DW says “We need more points”.

Cometdad2010 watch out for that addonitis. We started with 150 points resale, immediately bought 25 direct for benefits. In 2019 we doubled that and my DW says “We need more points”.

It strikes bad! We have 200 now. Looking to add on 100-150 in a second resale contract. I thought about direct, but the benefits didn't outweigh the price difference for me. I'm curious, I like to read as many opinions as possible... what direct benefits are most worth it to you?

It strikes bad! We have 200 now. Looking to add on 100-150 in a second resale contract. I thought about direct, but the benefits didn't outweigh the price difference for me. I'm curious, I like to read as many opinions as possible... what direct benefits are most worth it to you?
Well we only needed the 25 points for direct benefits, so it’s a lot different than the 100 or 125 soon to be. We get gold annual passes and use them for 3 trips. We have done 1 moonlight magic event, a couple of passholder events. Use the Epcot lounge every time when we go to Epcot.

We own at AK, but every time I get an email about adding to our contract I honestly think about it. Someone should really talk me into it and I may just take the jump.

We have had annual passes the last couple of years and I think if the DVC discount still applies once this is all over then we will re-up. I am thinking that I am going to want to live in the resorts in 2021-2022.

We own at AK, but every time I get an email about adding to our contract I honestly think about it. Someone should really talk me into it and I may just take the jump.

We have had annual passes the last couple of years and I think if the DVC discount still applies once this is all over then we will re-up. I am thinking that I am going to want to live in the resorts in 2021-2022.

I live in Maryland and have been a member since 2000. I still think about adding on every time something looks interesting. Addonitis is a real affliction!

I love the annual pass benefit and had one started Nov 2019. I was able to get Nov 2019, Jan 2020 and Feb 2020 trips in. Had to cancel my upcoming visit because I'm just not ready yet. Canceled my pass and got a partial refund.

But, I have January, February Disney trips on the books plus a week at Hilton Head in March. Still looking forward to all three and hope they are a 'go' for me.

Every few years someone starts a DMV thread. Hoping this one will take off and be long lasting. There are lots of DVC members in this area.

@woodleygrrl - great to hear that you got through the chemo! Happy times ahead for you.

Congrats on your last Chemo treatment!

We're in upper MoCo (Montgomery Co, MD). Have been owners at SSR since 2006. We HAD a trip for the first week in Oct booked that I canceled in July in order to bank the points before our banking deadline. We had a Feb-March trip booked as a back-up to that and I recently decided to push it to April-May so it will be a little warmer (and hopefully more normal). I am planning to book Sept-Oct on the 26th for the 50th anniversary but this lack of AP sales and the continuation of the park reservation system to 2022 has me thinking that next Oct may not happen as I am not liking that we may be forced to buy a week long tix THIS FAR OUT JUST TO SECURE PARK RESERVATIONS for October already. It would be one thing if I could buy an AP as we've always had AP's but I am really not happy about this park reservation thing. I don't want reg tix. It's ridiculous that we'd have to commit to buying a week of one park / day tix this far out (plus we have the April trip). If we get shut out of parks we'll have to cancel the Oct anniv. trip. Just this past week I booked a quickie 2 night weekend at Copper Creek (waitlist worked in 1 day) for the first weekend in Nov. to surprise DH for his birthday as he's been pouting since I canceled the Oct trip. Now I have to decide if I can swallow the idea of paying $273 for the 2 of us to visit 1 park for 1 day.:scared:

Congrats on your last Chemo treatment!

We're in upper MoCo (Montgomery Co, MD). Have been owners at SSR since 2006. We HAD a trip for the first week in Oct booked that I canceled in July in order to bank the points before our banking deadline. We had a Feb-March trip booked as a back-up to that and I recently decided to push it to April-May so it will be a little warmer (and hopefully more normal). I am planning to book Sept-Oct on the 26th for the 50th anniversary but this lack of AP sales and the continuation of the park reservation system to 2022 has me thinking that next Oct may not happen as I am not liking that we may be forced to buy a week long tix THIS FAR OUT JUST TO SECURE PARK RESERVATIONS for October already. It would be one thing if I could buy an AP as we've always had AP's but I am really not happy about this park reservation thing. I don't want reg tix. It's ridiculous that we'd have to commit to buying a week of one park / day tix this far out (plus we have the April trip). If we get shut out of parks we'll have to cancel the Oct anniv. trip. Just this past week I booked a quickie 2 night weekend at Copper Creek (waitlist worked in 1 day) for the first weekend in Nov. to surprise DH for his birthday as he's been pouting since I canceled the Oct trip. Now I have to decide if I can swallow the idea of paying $273 for the 2 of us to visit 1 park for 1 day.:scared:

Yikes. I didn't think ahead about the park reservation system. We're planning an Oct 2021 trip. It'll be our only trip in the next 18 months or so (unless they lift the borrowing restrictions, since we're already maxing ourselves out for this one) -- I guess I should get those tickets and make those reservations soon!

MoCo MD here. Been members since 1999. Have enjoyed DVC since my 4 kids were young and now 3 of them are married and I have 3 grandchildren. We all last went 3 years ago when I had 2 granddaughters who were 1. Had a big trip planned to stay at SSR this Dec, but had to cancel with - of course, because of the virus, and now I couldn't have borrowed enough points to make it work. Have a booking for mid Jan, but who knows if DH and I will feel safe to go and, if we do, hoping that one DS and his family might join us. We may drive. I have old tickets that I want to add to my MDE and I have no idea what is left on them (non-expiring). Have APs and other passes that have not been activated, but hoping to get a few days for DH off the old tickets while the experience is lacking (no fireworks, etc).

Best wishes for your recovery!

Springfield, VA here and DVC members since September 2019. Riviera is our home resort and were able to use some points at Boardwalk in early March for my birthday. We have been going every year (except 2011) since 2009 when we went for our delayed honeymoon. We figured that it was time to check out DVC after researching it for awhile. Our next trip is in 28 days and we are staying at Riviera for six nights.

So we just booked a weekend in October 2021 around the 50th anniversary celebrations. I had just read that they opened up the reservations last week so we went ahead and jumped on it.

So we have now booked and cancelled trips about 5 times in the past 8 months. I really hope this one sticks.

Have a great week everyone and register to vote!

Jennifer

So we just booked a weekend in October 2021 around the 50th anniversary celebrations. I had just read that they opened up the reservations last week so we went ahead and jumped on it.

So we have now booked and cancelled trips about 5 times in the past 8 months. I really hope this one sticks.

Have a great week everyone and register to vote!

Jennifer

Was that booked with points? Did they bend the 11-month rule? It's 2020, so I'm not surprised by anything anymore... :)

Hey All:

Jennifer

I thought there was a thread here at some point for this area? In any case...I'll join this one too!

We bought into SSR in 2006 and are also always borrowing...I blame having a December UY for that though. We actually celebrated my end of chemo treatment for breast cancer in August of 2017 also at Vero Beach (as well as at Grand Floridian).

We had a trip planned for March of this past year when it was cancelled due to COVID...and that wasn't even a "real" Disney trip but more of a trip that might have included some Disney elements. Now we are doing a totally different trip in a few weeks to celebrate my DD turning 18 and my DH turning 50 all around the time of our trip. We have one night at Riviera, then 4 more nights at Copper Creek. We are looking forward to checking out Riviera and we just stayed at Copper Creek in a studio and really loved it...so now we have a 2BR since there are 7 of us.

DH and I just did an adults-only trip in August and had a great time...but the parks were very empty then and all reports indicate it will be very different this time around. No worries...we go enough we'll make the best of it! Sucks that we have to buy tickets for these trips...really miss the days of our annual passes but we were planning on buying them this summer/fall...and that didn't happen obviously.

Anyway I live just outside of DC/Baltimore/Annapolis in Anne Arundel County.

Was that booked with points? Did they bend the 11-month rule? It's 2020, so I'm not surprised by anything anymore... :)
Oh we just used cash for this one. Is it just me or is anyone else just confused AF about all the rules around points? I just decided to save the ones we have for later (see above my plan to live in the parks post-COVID). :P

JOD

Also, sorry if I started another thread for one that already exists. I did a search and couldn't find anything.

I am sure that most of you all have already seen this, but just in case, Frozen is playing at the Kennedy Center next year as part of its Broadway Series. It runs from July 21st- September 5th. My friends and I bought a subscription for next year so we already have tickets for it. Bunch of great shows playing as well including Dear Evan Hansen and Oklahoma!

https://www.kennedy-center.org/whats-on/explore-by-genre/theater/2020-2021/disneys-frozen_73354/

Thanks for this...my daughter and I had tickets for Dear Evan Hansen in Baltimore back in May/June but of course that got cancelled. I'm hoping we can try again once theaters are open though. I haven't been to the Kennedy Center in years but would love to see another show there.

Congratulations on the end of chemo treatment!!

I'm Rob, my wife is Julie, and we live in MD a little north of Baltimore. We just got our membership info for our first resale contract -- 200 points at AKV with an Oct use year -- and are now coming down with a serious case of addonitis looking for a second small contract. We're planning our first trip in Oct 2021 -- taking the in-laws for my mother-in-law's 50th birthday and Disney World's 50th anniversary. DISboards has been a huge help as we navigate this process! I'm slowly becoming a DVC expert... but still a lot left to learn and discover ;)
HI there! We are from Baltimore County!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!