Calling All Knitters and Crocheters!!!

I am glad I found this thread. I will be watching what everyone else is doing. I hadn't crocheted for more than 20 years and I got a sudden urge to pick it up again but I couldn't remember how to crochet (I am old, unfortunately). I took a class at Joann's and a lot of it came back to me. (It also corrected some bad habits I had originally learned all those years ago) I have gotten free shawl patterns at Lion's Yarn site and I have been able to crochet a couple of them. I found a free little heart pattern online and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out that easy little heart! I will have to see if I can find it and come back here to see if others can give me some verbal clues. :sunny:

Right now I have three works in progress (WIPS). The portrait of my mom and dad, the Cathedral Rose Window from Annie's Attic and a Disney Castle afghan.

When the person who did the pattern for the portrait of my parents had a time to request simple patterns or simple changes, I had her put "In Loving Memory" on it between the pictures.

Right now I just don't have the concentration to work on any of those right now because of the constant color changes, especially the portrait one. My mother passed the day after Thanksgiving and we are still recovering from Hurricane Michael. Where I live had the eye of the storm go directly over us. We live about 5 miles from the local air force base that had 98% of their buildings damaged. We are 20 miles from Mexico Beach which was all but wiped out. We are 13 miles from Panama City Beach - known for Spring Break. In less than a week, that part of our county was back up and running, business as usual. The mayor was quoted as saying that "the town people need to get it together". The town people being anyone east of the bridge that separated Panama City and the other communities from Panama City Beach. They had next to no damage what so ever. He would not even allow FEMA to bring trailers to PCB to be ready to move once they had cleared areas in town to put them.

Sorry this got off topic, but it is hard to drive around town with this constant reminder everywhere you go. Storms that are normally not too bad, are seem stronger as there are next to no trees left to buffer the wind.

I'm a knitter. Learned from a neighbor when I was a little girl. I have knitted on and off as life has permitted. I have found stress relief through knitting. I like to knit dishcloths using Scrubby yarn by Redheart. I make baby blankets with Bernat baby yarn. These blankets look especially nice in pictures with baby.

Michaels stores sponsors Warm Up America 2019. You can drop off 7 by 9 inch squares to be made into Afghans for charity or volunteer to sew them together.

Please try to teach a younger person how to knit and crochet, so our beloved crafts are passed on.

Right now I have three works in progress (WIPS). The portrait of my mom and dad, the Cathedral Rose Window from Annie's Attic and a Disney Castle afghan.

When the person who did the pattern for the portrait of my parents had a time to request simple patterns or simple changes, I had her put "In Loving Memory" on it between the pictures.

Right now I just don't have the concentration to work on any of those right now because of the constant color changes, especially the portrait one. My mother passed the day after Thanksgiving and we are still recovering from Hurricane Michael. Where I live had the eye of the storm go directly over us. We live about 5 miles from the local air force base that had 98% of their buildings damaged. We are 20 miles from Mexico Beach which was all but wiped out. We are 13 miles from Panama City Beach - known for Spring Break. In less than a week, that part of our county was back up and running, business as usual. The mayor was quoted as saying that "the town people need to get it together". The town people being anyone east of the bridge that separated Panama City and the other communities from Panama City Beach. They had next to no damage what so ever. He would not even allow FEMA to bring trailers to PCB to be ready to move once they had cleared areas in town to put them.

Sorry this got off topic, but it is hard to drive around town with this constant reminder everywhere you go. Storms that are normally not too bad, are seem stronger as there are next to no trees left to buffer the wind.

So sorry to hear of the devastation your area suffered from Hurricane Michael! I think the portrait of your parents is a wonderful tribute to them. It sounds like you do many difficult patterns in crochet? I have never heard of portrait patterns. I was wondering where you found the crochet pattern for a Disney castle afghan?
Thanks so much for the post.

I am glad I found this thread. I will be watching what everyone else is doing. I hadn't crocheted for more than 20 years and I got a sudden urge to pick it up again but I couldn't remember how to crochet (I am old, unfortunately). I took a class at Joann's and a lot of it came back to me. (It also corrected some bad habits I had originally learned all those years ago) I have gotten free shawl patterns at Lion's Yarn site and I have been able to crochet a couple of them. I found a free little heart pattern online and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out that easy little heart! I will have to see if I can find it and come back here to see if others can give me some verbal clues. :sunny:

Hi Forum Jumper: Glad to have you. Unfortunately this thread is not very busy. If you want to keep up with what's new (and what's not new:), go to Ravelry. They have a wonderful website and lots of forums that are active.
Like you, I hadn't crocheted since I was in my early 20's. Then I quit til about a year ago, when I was 68 y/o:) I absolutely love crocheting again, and like you, have corrected some bad habits that I learned years ago. Hope you continue with crocheting and give Ravelry a try. Another good site is The Crochet Crowd, with lots of video tutorials and patterns. I learned how to Tunisian crochet by watching Mickey's tutorial. Have fun!

Chiming in on this old but good thread. I am a beginner crocheter. A friend taught me last winter. I've done the basics, (scarf, cleaning clothes, pillow cover). I find I like the repetitive nature of crocheting- it becomes kind of meditative. Looking forward to following this thread for inspiration :).

I never knew this part of the boards existed and just found this, I can usually be found over on the runDisney section. I taught myself to crochet several months ago. I work nights and there is usually part of the night where nothing is going on. Reading helps some but usually it makes me sleepy or I would get interrupted and have to reread the same page about 10 times so what better way to pass the time than crocheting and having something to show for it. It usually takes awhile to get a project done because I get interrupted but it's easier than reading to just pick up where I left off. I have a blanket I've been working on for about 2 months but I mixed in some smaller projects in between. I've made several fun hats that have paired up with fun runs I've done. I don't normally wear hats when running but I like to dress up especially for short distances and having a hat to match the theme is fun. So here are some horrible pictures of fun hats worn while running.

Turkey Trot, the whole family had fun with this one after Thanksgiving dinner.
image1.jpeg
Santa Stampede elf version, hard to see the hat, this is the best picture I have with this one. It has jingle bells on it which I discovered are not ideal for a run, I jingled all the way the way to the end probably annoying everyone around me, oh well it was fun!
image2.jpeg
And this last week. I got a shout out at the start for this one from the announcer and got so many compliments along the way. Had a ton of fun with this one, it might get used for another run next month.
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg

I never knew this part of the boards existed and just found this, I can usually be found over on the runDisney section. I taught myself to crochet several months ago. I work nights and there is usually part of the night where nothing is going on. Reading helps some but usually it makes me sleepy or I would get interrupted and have to reread the same page about 10 times so what better way to pass the time than crocheting and having something to show for it. It usually takes awhile to get a project done because I get interrupted but it's easier than reading to just pick up where I left off. I have a blanket I've been working on for about 2 months but I mixed in some smaller projects in between. I've made several fun hats that have paired up with fun runs I've done. I don't normally wear hats when running but I like to dress up especially for short distances and having a hat to match the theme is fun. So here are some horrible pictures of fun hats worn while running.

Turkey Trot, the whole family had fun with this one after Thanksgiving dinner.
View attachment 379591
Santa Stampede elf version, hard to see the hat, this is the best picture I have with this one. It has jingle bells on it which I discovered are not ideal for a run, I jingled all the way the way to the end probably annoying everyone around me, oh well it was fun!
View attachment 379592
And this last week. I got a shout out at the start for this one from the announcer and got so many compliments along the way. Had a ton of fun with this one, it might get used for another run next month.
View attachment 379590
View attachment 379589

Congratulations on starting crocheting. Yes, it can be kind of meditative and very relaxing, plus you get to see the progress as you go along:)
Your run Disney hats are adorable! thanks for sharing.

Hi Forum Jumper: Glad to have you. Unfortunately this thread is not very busy. If you want to keep up with what's new (and what's not new:), go to Ravelry. They have a wonderful website and lots of forums that are active.
Like you, I hadn't crocheted since I was in my early 20's. Then I quit til about a year ago, when I was 68 y/o:) I absolutely love crocheting again, and like you, have corrected some bad habits that I learned years ago. Hope you continue with crocheting and give Ravelry a try. Another good site is The Crochet Crowd, with lots of video tutorials and patterns. I learned how to Tunisian crochet by watching Mickey's tutorial. Have fun!

Thank you for the suggestion....I will check it out. I found The Crochet Crowd last fall and I love that site! I get the .pdf newsletters and they are always fun. I have been watching their crochet cruise offers and hope to partake in that some day. :love:

This is the Red Heart Yarn heart pattern I have been trying: https://www.joann.com/how-to-make-crochet-heart-banner/4979519P58.html

I have tried to make two hearts and each one comes out looking like a granny square square....they aren't heart shaped at all! They look sooooo simple! I can't figure out what I am doing wrong with these. :confused3

Last edited:
Hi! I've been knitting for about 14 years and am a little obsessed. I also crochet and sew. I crocheted some Disney ears and Disney ornaments awhile back but I really haven't knitted or crocheted a lot of Disney stuff!

Attachments

• crochetmickeyornaments.jpeg
    crochetmickeyornaments.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 6
  • crochetmickeyears.jpeg
    crochetmickeyears.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 7
So sorry to hear of the devastation your area suffered from Hurricane Michael! I think the portrait of your parents is a wonderful tribute to them. It sounds like you do many difficult patterns in crochet? I have never heard of portrait patterns. I was wondering where you found the crochet pattern for a Disney castle afghan?
Thanks so much for the post.

Originally I think I found it on Facebook or Pinterest, but it is now on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/listing/179253948/disney-castle-afghan-crochet-pattern

These are the first ones with many color changes that I have done. Most are simple color changes at the end of a row or round. I used to create doll dresses to match dance costumes when my daughter danced. I taught a toddler class and for their gifts, I made a copy of one of their costumes and found the original Kelly doll to match each of the students. So they all got a doll with one of their costumes with the year and the recital name.

Originally I think I found it on Facebook or Pinterest, but it is now on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/listing/179253948/disney-castle-afghan-crochet-pattern

These are the first ones with many color changes that I have done. Most are simple color changes at the end of a row or round. I used to create doll dresses to match dance costumes when my daughter danced. I taught a toddler class and for their gifts, I made a copy of one of their costumes and found the original Kelly doll to match each of the students. So they all got a doll with one of their costumes with the year and the recital name.

Thanks so much for the link. You sound like a very talented person:)

Hi, y'all! I'm a knitter and crocheter. You can find me on ravelry as speyegull.

Right now, my WIPs are a pair of basic socks for me (knit), a prayer shawl (knit), and a hat (crocheted). I'll donate the shawl and hat and keep the socks. I haven't done much Disney inspired knitting or crocheting lately. I have been considering making a crocheted Mickey Ears head band, but haven't done it yet.

Hi, y'all! I'm a knitter and crocheter. You can find me on ravelry as speyegull.

Right now, my WIPs are a pair of basic socks for me (knit), a prayer shawl (knit), and a hat (crocheted). I'll donate the shawl and hat and keep the socks. I haven't done much Disney inspired knitting or crocheting lately. I have been considering making a crocheted Mickey Ears head band, but haven't done it yet.

Welcome YOYAurora: I've always wanted to try crocheting socks. Is it difficult?
I just completed 2 pairs of fingerless mittens. So cute and easy to make for gifts.
I have a pattern for a Mickey Mouse hat for babies. You can make it larger for older toddlers. BUT, It is a PIA to make, for some reason. I guess I don't like fussy type patterns. But the baby's Momma loved the hat. I embroidered (by hand) the babies name on the back of the hat. The Mom puts it on backwards so the name shows:)
I don't know what the difference between a prayer shawl and a regular one (except wearing it to prayLOL)
OH, I'm on ravelry too, but can't remember my name on there. Will find you and let you know:)

Hi, @disneyseniors! I haven't tried crocheting socks yet. I knit mine. I've been knitting socks for years and I don't know I'll try crocheting any socks any time soon. I'm too much a creature of habit.

I love fingerless gloves. I'm a photographer, so fingerless gloves are great for me when it's cold outside and I'm taking pictures. I've knit and crocheted fingerless gloves and wear both.

I'm not sure I'd have the patience to do the MM hat for the little ones. Bravo to you for doing that!

For me, the difference is that the prayer shawls are made for people in need: illness, hospice, death in the family. The group donates them to whomever asks or if we hear of someone in need. Our hope is that those who receive one can feel the love with which they are made. The group prefers long rectangular shawls. When I knit or crochet a shawl for a gift or for myself, it's usually asymmetrical or triangular.

The hats I'm crocheting are for the hat/sock/scarf giveaway at the local soup kitchen in December. I strive to crochet a hat and matching scarf each month during the year, but thanks to the entire family being sick from just after Christmas until after Valentine's Day with the 'flu, creeping crud, colds, and viruses, I'm just finishing up my first hat of the year.

Definitely find me on Ravelry. If you friend me there, send me a quick message so I'll know it's you. I'm working on adding photos to my projects. Yes, it's like the shoemaker's child: my projects are often left unphotographed.

Hi, @disneyseniors! I haven't tried crocheting socks yet. I knit mine. I've been knitting socks for years and I don't know I'll try crocheting any socks any time soon. I'm too much a creature of habit.

I love fingerless gloves. I'm a photographer, so fingerless gloves are great for me when it's cold outside and I'm taking pictures. I've knit and crocheted fingerless gloves and wear both.

I'm not sure I'd have the patience to do the MM hat for the little ones. Bravo to you for doing that!

For me, the difference is that the prayer shawls are made for people in need: illness, hospice, death in the family. The group donates them to whomever asks or if we hear of someone in need. Our hope is that those who receive one can feel the love with which they are made. The group prefers long rectangular shawls. When I knit or crochet a shawl for a gift or for myself, it's usually asymmetrical or triangular.

The hats I'm crocheting are for the hat/sock/scarf giveaway at the local soup kitchen in December. I strive to crochet a hat and matching scarf each month during the year, but thanks to the entire family being sick from just after Christmas until after Valentine's Day with the 'flu, creeping crud, colds, and viruses, I'm just finishing up my first hat of the year.

Definitely find me on Ravelry. If you friend me there, send me a quick message so I'll know it's you. I'm working on adding photos to my projects. Yes, it's like the shoemaker's child: my projects are often left unphotographed.

Thanks for explaining the prayer shawl. It's funny, but I've been making shawls for the nursing home that are long and rectangular. I have made about 6 so far. I always have one that I'm working on. It's a no brainer, and we all need those sometimes. I should check into donating for the causes you mention.
We also had a lot of sickness at Christmas this year. I brought bronchitis back from vacation and passed it around:) apparently.
I got on ravelry and found it difficult to navigate. I hope I put something on your site. You have lovely projects, by the way. I am ruthann1313 on Rav.
hope to talk with you there:)

I'm so far behind with blocking my finished projects that I'll be blocking for the rest of the month, I think! I want to finish this pair of socks today -- I'm on the foot of the second one -- so I can start something else tomorrow. Should I start another pair of socks or a lacy shawl? Decisions, decisions!

I just finished this blanket. I bought the pattern a few years ago and finally got to work on it and got it finished. The original was a white background with a blue castle. I decided to change it up a bit. Hope you like it.

I just finished this blanket. I bought the pattern a few years ago and finally got to work on it and got it finished. The original was a white background with a blue castle. I decided to change it up a bit. Hope you like it.

Wow, that is absolutely beautiful. I think it looksbetter this color!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts