Calling All Parents, How Do You Supply Magic To Your Kids?

Tia1977

My Happy Place
So excited! Surprise bday trip planned for DD. One of those wake her early am to say get in the car we're going to Disney:love: It's for her 14th bday beginning of August. She's a newbie (only 1 split 2 wk off/on property trip under her belt-June 2015). She's my stepdaughter. Never been before, and after she came into my life at age 8; I knew I had to take her. Thankfully, she caught the bug and is now obsessed. The trip was so amazing, even swept my DH into it (yay!). So special to me, bc it's become "our thing" together. (She even made me a personalized Snow White mug on the Disney Store for Mothers Day-yep...I cried). Since we had our October trip @ CBR planned, then one in June 2017 (Lord willing), Disney math cried AP upgrade; and this surprise mini trip @ Pop was created. Since only 4 days, concentrated on her favorite parks/rides, etc. We have an arsenal of Disney things booked from CRT to Chef Mickeys to Pirates & Pals to a special order bday cake. Even special outfits, so forth. But, knowing the "real" magic comes from family simply being together away from the world, I'm thinking about how DH and I can put our hearts into it and help her feel as special throughout the whole trip as she really is? I'd love to hear how other parents have made the trip reveal special, helped their kids feel special on bdays, or simply helped their kids feel special on regular trips? I know it's kinda mushy, but aside from the hefty price tag; that's what Disney means to me now...family❤️

Yay! I can tell your excitement, and it gets me excited vicariously! Love that! :)

My DD turned 5 at DLR this past summer, and we had some special things in store. I know 14 is different from 5, but in the Disneyverse, it's not so far removed ;) We took her to BBB, which I know you can't do, but maybe a special trip to a nice shop for a special piece of "grown up" jewelry. Maybe let her choose a pearl and a special setting for it in Japan? That's always fun and engaging.

We stayed off site to save money, but I snuck into the hotel room while my husband and the kids unloaded the car with our bags and laid out some special surprises to greet my crew. Each kiddo got a special lovie for the trip that I purchased ahead of time (DS got a Mickey, DD got a Minnie, and DS got a Donald). These were SO special to them, because they believed the hotel staff (or Mickey himself?) left these for them.

Waking up the night before to decorate the room for her as a surprise is always fun :) We had streamers and gifts setting out when she woke up in the morning. She loved it. Her special gift was a Belle dress purchased for her BBB makeover.

Be sure to stop by guest services and get her a Birthday button! Everyone in the park will wish her a happy birthday and make her feel special for the day.

I'm sure I'll think of more later... I hope this is a precious trip for you!

I love those ideas! Thank you so much!!! And that's perfect about decorating the room in the middle of the night!!! I can't wait...

We took our daughters 4 years ago for our youngest's 5th birthday. I spent a whole year planning the trip and learning every tip I could from the DISers. For cost purposes, we always stay offsite, but since we drive down, that is not a problem for us, and it meant we weren't limited by what could come on an airplane.

We decorated the van with Disney window clings and called it the birthdaymobile. I picked up TONS of Disneyana from yard sales in the year leading up to the trip. Bedspreads for the kids' room in the condo were the best thing I found, and we were able to "theme" their room better than most hotels with tons of stuffed animals that they already had plus others I'd smuggled in.

We rode the auto-train down. It was expensive, and honestly a bit bumpy for sleeping, but DD still loves to tell the story that she took her first shower (vs. tub-bath) on a moving train (and the dinner was AMAZING)

We didn't see it happen, but a "happy birthday" tiara and several gifts appeared on the nightstand on birthday-morning. Rumor has it that Tinkerbelle herself made the delivery!

I bought a Mickey waffle iron specifically for the trip... honestly, it didn't cook as well as my other waffle irons, so we gave it away here on the boards after our trip, but it was a fun thing at the time. I also pre-cooked and froze mickey-shaped mini pancakes, crown-shaped French-toast, and other "themed" food for days we didn't do park breakfasts. It felt fancy and special, but was super-cheap and easy, and I wasn't really "cooking" on vacation.

BBB was a HUGE hit with the little one. We pre-bought our costumes locally, and DD5 was Cinderella, while DD 8.5 had the "new" Merida costume, which wasn't even sold at that store yet, and got her a TON of attention. We did the DD location and as we were leaving DD5 was princess-waving to everyone we passed and it was like our own little parade. She's 9 soon and still talks about it.

Of course we told them it was her birthday celebration on every restaurant reservation, and she got a ton of cupcakes, but her favorite was the dessert with the sparklers in it at T-Rex the first night (we had to pay for that, not a freebie, but so worth it.)

We got a fairy godmailer to send a "See ya Real Soon!" postcard before the trip, and I made an advent-calendar style countdown calendar using a poster and a craft blade.

The girls each got a tiny trinket-gift each morning, all super-cheap from yard sales.

DD8.5 wore the sandals from her Merida costume to MK the day we went, and Fairy Godmother saw them and pointed us to a little-known meet-n-greet with the princess herself! Quick and fun, next to no line, all because of some sandals! Proof that where FairyGodmother is concerned, the shoes really *DO* make the magic!!!

One of the things the kiddos liked best, though, was getting to be "fairygodmothers" themselves. We researched "Acts of Random Kindness" (ARKs or RAKs) and planned as many as we could. They got a real kick out of sharing bubbles and stickers, glow sticks, etc with other kids.

UNFORTUNATELY**
I did *SUCH* a great job planning that trip, and everybody loved it so much, that the only way to stop the tears when it was time to leave (theirs AND mine...) was to promise a return-trip for double digits... and that, dear friends, is why I'm back on the boards after all these years, because we are 13 months out, and it's time to do it all over again!!!

Omg, I can't thank you enough!!! We're driving too, I love decorating the car idea! All of them really, from tinker bell presents (never too old for tink!) to especially the random acts of kindness!!!!! What a wonderful idea to give kids magic and at the same time, teach them how rewarding it is to give it to others!!! That's def a balance I want to teach DD. We're not rolling in money, having to scrimp/save (feels like sell our soul sometimes lol) to take her. But, any kid getting to go is a huge blessing when sadly so many others don't even have basic needs. Awesome way to balance her feeling special and yet not tipping the scales to spoiled. That's my new research project now. Thank you again!!!

Like Bubblegum1286, we're doing a DIY version of Mickey's grand welcome. I've been buying little items here a there as I see them on sale. I found all of the print outs, etc from the creative board here. We JUST decided to fly, but if were were driving, I had planned to do a countdown with a gift to open every hour (or every state). It wasn't going to be anything extravagant though. It was mainly to keep my little ones occupied during the long car ride. I'm not sure if a 14 year old would enjoy, but I think just even the idea of unwrapping something is appealing.

upload_2016-5-12_14-24-23.png upload_2016-5-12_14-25-16.png

I LOVE it!!!! Perfect! Inexpensive and fun. You're never too old for gifts. And, fun girl things are always found at dollar stores, etc. Thank you!!!! Especially since she's currently into Disney hair accessories. You guys are the best, I'm getting so many good ideas!!!:disrocks:

For the reveal, we're doing the typical scavenger hunt. Sort of. They get the first clue when they are ready to go to the airport. We have told them we are planning to go to Phoenix. True but not in October. The last clue will point them to the airport gate. So it's a MAGICAL incentive to get their tushies in the car so we can get to the airport on time! :rotfl: At the gate, I have the clue that will first tell them we lied and say sorry for that but then tell them:
"But take a deep breath --
you’ll be all right.
This is no cause
for one lick of fright,

Because instead the excitement
might make your toes curl
when you finally stand

in Walt Disney World!"

I went to the Creative DISigns board and they have graciously helped me put together some personalized fun coupon books for the kids -- MNSSHP, cake pop, Starbucks, HDDR, Pick a Pearl, Behind the Seed tour, stuff like that. I love those because I can have a "pick a souvenir" coupon and let them find what is special to them. You can even ask for a "pick a tiara" coupon so she can have one for her birthday! And some coupons are just simple ones like "take a break", "pick the picture spot", "have a hug" or "pool time". I also pulled some DIY journal pages to make a trip journal for each kid to fill out so they can note their favorite (and least favorite) things. I've also done special autograph books with them but last time they were so big and heavy, I decided to pass on that and just do a pillowcase.

Just thought of something else -- what about a photo scavenger hunt? Picture with a princess, picture on a coaster, picture by a store window, picture in a funny hat, picture exploring the wilderness, picture eating a favorite treat, pic in front of the castle, etc. It can make a fun activity and a lovely souvenir too that you can even put into a photo book for Christmas!

That's a great idea!!! I may or may not (lol) have a slight scrapbook addiction

I've also done special autograph books with them but last time they were so big and heavy, I decided to pass on that and just do a pillowcase.

OMG! LOVE the pillowcase idea!!! Stealing.

Something occurred to me today... if your little ones like Frozen, it might be fun to sneak back into the room after they've left one day, crank the AC *SUPER COLD* then leave a gift for the kids to find when they get back. When they walk in and go "Why is it so cold???" you could point to the present and say, "I think Elsa was here..."

My littles are too old for it, but thought it could be fun for somebody out there... just remember to leave a sticky note for mousekeeping on the thermometer so they don't reset it while you're away.

I'm not a parent, but I am turning 18, so I have some very fond memories of magic at Disney! So, from a DisKid (soon to be DisAdult), here's some 'magic' tips!
  • If you're going down for a kids' birthday, splurge for the birthday packages. it doesn't have to be THE MOST expensive, but I remember getting a signed picture from Minnie Mouse when I was 6, and I still have it!
  • Do character meet and greets! I still love doing these, and the little ones will be SO impressed. Just make sure no Donald Ducks pull down their hats, or they might hold a grudge and then poke the mascot's eye at a character breakfast the next day...
  • Hidden Mickey scavenger hunt! There always seems to be one you missed. Also, walk around the park and see if you can't notice little details (example, behind Tony's restaurant in Magic Kingdom, you can see a silhouette of Lady and the Tramp).
  • Disney movie marathon before going to Disney! For the younger kids, the classic animated films. For 8-15 yr olds, add in more modern movies, plus more obscure ones like Meet The Robinsons, Enchanted, and you can't forget about Pixar. For teenagers, show them Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, because I would NOT recommend that to kids!
  • Disney playlist! Just make a playlist of all the great music from different movies.
  • Let the kids decide some of the day, and what rides they want to ride. Sure, you might groan when you go on It's A Small World for the umpteenth time, and you may feel really sick when you're forced on the Orange Team of Mission: SPACE, but nothing means more to a kid than getting to decide for themselves! If you're kid is older, they can go in the Single Rider Queue. Mom let me do Single Rider on Test Track while she and my sister shopped, and I had a ton of fun!
  • As an offshoot of that, for teens, let them wander around the parks by themselves. Nothing is worse than being forced to do something they don't want to, so by giving them some freedom, they'll be much happier.
  • Do not underestimate simply walking around the resort. My mom, my sister, and I are staying at the Boardwalk, and that is one of the best resorts to just wander around.
  • Get your kids to start pin trading. I started when I was six, and my most prized pins are a Jessica Rabbit one, a picture frame that goes from a sketch of Bambi to a full color picture, and a license plate looking one. It's just fun!
I hope these tips will help anyone, especially seeing them through the eyes of a DD!

So excited! Surprise bday trip planned for DD. One of those wake her early am to say get in the car we're going to Disney:love: It's for her 14th bday beginning of August. She's a newbie (only 1 split 2 wk off/on property trip under her belt-June 2015). She's my stepdaughter. Never been before, and after she came into my life at age 8; I knew I had to take her. Thankfully, she caught the bug and is now obsessed. The trip was so amazing, even swept my DH into it (yay!). So special to me, bc it's become "our thing" together. (She even made me a personalized Snow White mug on the Disney Store for Mothers Day-yep...I cried). Since we had our October trip @ CBR planned, then one in June 2017 (Lord willing), Disney math cried AP upgrade; and this surprise mini trip @ Pop was created. Since only 4 days, concentrated on her favorite parks/rides, etc. We have an arsenal of Disney things booked from CRT to Chef Mickeys to Pirates & Pals to a special order bday cake. Even special outfits, so forth. But, knowing the "real" magic comes from family simply being together away from the world, I'm thinking about how DH and I can put our hearts into it and help her feel as special throughout the whole trip as she really is? I'd love to hear how other parents have made the trip reveal special, helped their kids feel special on bdays, or simply helped their kids feel special on regular trips? I know it's kinda mushy, but aside from the hefty price tag; that's what Disney means to me now...family❤️
We are doing a surprise trip for our daughter's b'day at beginning of August as well! She is turning 13. Sixteen-year-old DS coming as well, of course. :-) We are actually going to do the reveal next week so that they can enjoy some anticipation and help with some planning. I created a Shutterfly photo book of our last trip (2011 - yep, it takes me a while to get around to making the books! :rotfl:) and on the last page it says "we had such a wonderful trip, we can't wait to go back in August 2016!" When the book comes next week I will have them sit down and look at it and hopefully they will enjoy the surprise at the end! I have a couple small things planned leading up to the trip to add to the fun also. My kids love lego minifigures, so I purchased 10 of the newly released Disney minifigures and will give them maybe one a week or so in the weeks leading up to the trip. I also saw some Mickey-head shaped button-like stickers in the scrapbooking section of Michael's, and I'm going to stick those in various random places for them to find in the next couple of months (kind of like hidden Mickeys).

Your trip sounds awesome! Do you mind my asking about your special order bday cake? I would like to do that for my daughter as well. :goodvibes

We are doing a surprise trip for our daughter's b'day at beginning of August as well! She is turning 13. Sixteen-year-old DS coming as well, of course. :-) We are actually going to do the reveal next week so that they can enjoy some anticipation and help with some planning. I created a Shutterfly photo book of our last trip (2011 - yep, it takes me a while to get around to making the books! :rotfl:) and on the last page it says "we had such a wonderful trip, we can't wait to go back in August 2016!" When the book comes next week I will have them sit down and look at it and hopefully they will enjoy the surprise at the end! I have a couple small things planned leading up to the trip to add to the fun also. My kids love lego minifigures, so I purchased 10 of the newly released Disney minifigures and will give them maybe one a week or so in the weeks leading up to the trip. I also saw some Mickey-head shaped button-like stickers in the scrapbooking section of Michael's, and I'm going to stick those in various random places for them to find in the next couple of months (kind of like hidden Mickeys).

Your trip sounds awesome! Do you mind my asking about your special order bday cake? I would like to do that for my daughter as well. :goodvibes

Omg! Disney chill bumps! :earboy2:I LOVE your reveal plan! This is why I love DIS, you find Disney soul sisters around every corner lol! :disrocks:I'm a shutterfly scrapbook junkie myself! Since I still have our 2015 Disney book in my cart that DD keeps asking me about,(bc eating that $250 right is $250 less on "live trips"), I came THIS close to adding one more page about her bday and ordering as her reveal. Same concept, tossing it to her when it came to casually look thru. But, DH liked waking her last minute more instead (gotta appease a DH who supports the obsession lol). I hear ya on the planning fun at that age. I think awesome call on your part! If we didn't already have an Oct trip for MNSSHP that DD is helping me plan, I think she'd be more p'od rather than excited about her surprise bday trip lol (on our small cop budget, it's only bc we're upgrading to an AP & selling our soul to the mouse that we're making this year happen lol! :P). But, you know the "countdown" yourself. We only have 4 more yrs bf DD graduates HS . Anything to make childhood fun! The Cake Chatter thread on the restaurant thread gave me TONS of info! You can order 60 days or within (2 more days for us yay!). From what I gather, you pick the bakery listed that services that restaurant. You guys are gonna have so much fun!!!:bday:

Omg! Disney chill bumps! :earboy2:I LOVE your reveal plan! This is why I love DIS, you find Disney soul sisters around every corner lol! :disrocks:I'm a shutterfly scrapbook junkie myself! Since I still have our 2015 Disney book in my cart that DD keeps asking me about,(bc eating that $250 right is $250 less on "live trips"), I came THIS close to adding one more page about her bday and ordering as her reveal. Same concept, tossing it to her when it came to casually look thru. But, DH liked waking her last minute more instead (gotta appease a DH who supports the obsession lol). I hear ya on the planning fun at that age. I think awesome call on your part! If we didn't already have an Oct trip for MNSSHP that DD is helping me plan, I think she'd be more p'od rather than excited about her surprise bday trip lol (on our small cop budget, it's only bc we're upgrading to an AP & selling our soul to the mouse that we're making this year happen lol! :P). But, you know the "countdown" yourself. We only have 4 more yrs bf DD graduates HS . Anything to make childhood fun! The Cake Chatter thread on the restaurant thread gave me TONS of info! You can order 60 days or within (2 more days for us yay!). From what I gather, you pick the bakery listed that services that restaurant. You guys are gonna have so much fun!!!:bday:
That's so funny that you had the photo book idea as well! Waking your DD up on the day of the trip is going to be GREAT! Sounds like she will never be expecting the "extra" trip. I bet you won't even be able to sleep the night before! :hyper: I am totally with you on doing everything possible to make childhood memorable. It goes by so quickly. I'm guessing my kids will still enjoy Disney as they get older, but somehow it's just not the same. Enjoy your last couple months of planning!!! :goodvibes (And thanks for the tip of the cake thread!)

I'm not a parent, but I am turning 18, so I have some very fond memories of magic at Disney! So, from a DisKid (soon to be DisAdult), here's some 'magic' tips!
  • Disney movie marathon before going to Disney! For the younger kids, the classic animated films. For 8-15 yr olds, add in more modern movies, plus more obscure ones like Meet The Robinsons, Enchanted, and you can't forget about Pixar. For teenagers, show them Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, because I would NOT recommend that to kids!
  • Disney playlist! Just make a playlist of all the great music from different movies.
  • As an offshoot of that, for teens, let them wander around the parks by themselves. Nothing is worse than being forced to do something they don't want to, so by giving them some freedom, they'll be much happier.
  • Do not underestimate simply walking around the resort. My mom, my sister, and I are staying at the Boardwalk, and that is one of the best resorts to just wander around.
  • Get your kids to start pin trading. I started when I was six, and my most prized pins are a Jessica Rabbit one, a picture frame that goes from a sketch of Bambi to a full color picture, and a license plate looking one. It's just fun!

Very nice post.....and seems like you well on your way to becoming a great adult...

I do all of the above, we are 5 months out and playing WDW songs every time I work around the house. We are considering letting our very responsible kids off the parent "leash" this visit. They are 11 and 14.....

Nervous about ti, but with Magic bands, and cell phones......not like they can get lost, they know WDW too well. (but to keep Dad at ease, they have to stay in the park we are in)

You have a lot of great ideas- what about printing up some fun daily itineraries? Her fast passes, meals, free times with options...Could be a nice keepsake to remind her of what you all did together and she may take notice of things otherwise missed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter