Calling All Writers!

The Villianess

"Don't think and don't worry. When the time comes,
I want to be a writer when I become an adult, but I find it really hard to stick to a story and see it through to the end. I feel like I run out of writing juice. The only thing I've finished was this play that I wrote, which I'm currently rereading and editing.

I decided to get to work on novel writing again. The problem is, I have a good story line (& plot) all mapped out, but I find it hard to start from chapter one (I kind of started writing chapter three first).

Does anyone have any advice about writing? How do you motivate yourself when you're stuck?

I've had the same problem this morning when I was starting a story. I brainstorm a lot when I'm stuck. I think of what I could do better to make the beginning and end of a chapter pop out and catch my audiences attention. I started my story this morning like this: Cold Chicago afternoons are the worst. Something that makes the readers want to read more. I hope this helped and Good luck on your story/novel!

What I find intriguing is taking the characters you are working with and developing them: where are they from? How did they grow up? What would they do in their free time, and what is/are their personality/morals? There's always at least a short story in their somewhere, and the simple, personality traits are what you can begin your piece with. Generally I find that the ones who are more interesting past-wise catch my attention more.

I had the same exact problem trying to start the story I'm writing (it's here btw in case you want to read it and need inspiration: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268874). I agree with expeditioneverestgirl with starting off with something that will capture the reader's attention. I also like to end my chapters in a way that will make the reader want to read more as well. I also agree with anney by developing the characters. I found this character questionare on polyvore that helped me develop the characters for my story. Here's the link if you want to look at it: http://www.polyvore.com/character_questionnaire/set?id=108259423 Hope these help!

Writing is a cycle. Start a story, hate the story, delete the story, start a new story, like the story, hate the story, but force yourself through.

It's a balancing act. Your work takes on its own mind. If you need anymore help, feel free to PM me, as I have been published before.

Well, I've never had problems starting, my problem is that I write the first few chapters and then a lot of time it ends up abandoned. Everyone has their own methods and schedules that work best for them, so I think it really depends on what you find helpful. If it works better to start in the middle and write to the end, don't be afraid to do it, and maybe the beginning will come to you? I always find myself stuck in the middle, but having an outline REALLY helps. Sometimes, if you've been working on the same project for a long time, it helps to take a step back and maybe give it a few days to simmer. For me, I think the biggest breakthrough happened this year when I wrote a novel for my senior project and was forced to finish it. It helped to flesh out my characters, make them real and vivid and interesting, and go from there. Also, just discipline yourself to write, even if you don't feel inspired, just write about anything and go from there!
Sorry for my ramblings, I just got back from a long trip and am kind of tired so if I'm not making sense, sorry.

All I can say is try not to get frustrated! A lot of times you end up straying from your first idea because one thing doesn't work like you planned it to and you thought of something else you wanted. For example I was writing a novel and my characters were really well developed but I hated where the plot was going and so I thought about it for a few months and now I'm writing a completely unrelated novel but same characters and I'm pretty happy about it so far. Just keep at it!

When I'm stuck, I read what I've written so far and think of ways things could lead into or out of that. I end up coming up with several different ideas, then choosing the one that leads me to where I want to go with my story. Think of all the roads this idea could take you. Do you want to follow it, or find a new path? It all comes down to how you want to end it. Will this make sense in the ending? Do I want to keep this the same, or change it throughout the story? Ask yourself a lot of questions and go outside and think. That's what I do. I don't know if this will help you, but it helps me. Good luck!

I have the same problem to my old English teacher kept saying I'm wonderful at writing, but I have trouble thinking of what to write.:lovestruc

I try to make myself write a little every day. Even if it isn't anything good, it gets my creative juices going. Reading, listening to music and drawing help get the ideas coming too. Good luck!

Hi! I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread. I'm an author and I've been writing since I was fifteen, so I definitely understand where you're coming from.
Why do you think writing out of order is a bad thing? I don't think I've ever written a novel completely linear in my life. I jump around, getting the scenes out that I'm desperate to write at that particular moment. Then I go back and fill in the gaps. If you've already plotted out the story then you can do this even more easily, because you know what you're trying to achieve.
There's no rule that says you have to start at the beginning and finish at the end!
In fact, I've often skipped ahead and wrote the final chapter when I'm about half way through a novel (and running out of steam, like you mentioned) because having that written means I know what I'm working towards. I know what I need to do in order to get to the climax/completion that's already written. It can be a help, not a hindrance :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!