Cam Newton Insults Female Reporter

Actually it's all part of the same issue so why wouldn't it be discussed here? That is done all the time on discussion boards.

But the thread is about Cam and what he said, that pp already knew opening this thread how the majority of it was going to be about him and what he said.
She claims she is offended by what that woman said, but didn't bother to start any discussion about it, just made some snarky remark in this thread. You are correct that it could be discussed here, but it seems that even the one poster here who really has an issue with what that reporter said isn't even willing too, and then feigns being upset that nobody else is.
That is just messed up. Nothing is stopping her from starting a thread but something tells me her goal isn't really to have a discussion, its just to come here and point how none of us are discussing her issue.

I don't follow football but I have heard of Cam, I have no idea who that woman is.
I opened this thread because I have seen the headlines but didn't bother to read the article, saw it here and wondered what he had said.
If there was a thread titled "whatever her name is" posts racists tweets I'd probably would have opened it and commented, but there wasn't, there is only this thread about what he said.

Ok got it.
You came on to a thread specifically about Cam Newton insulting that woman to see which side would be condemned. It is pretty clear by the title what you would find.

You have an issue with people not discussing what she said, yet you didn't bother to start your own thread to discuss it.
That is some strange logic you got going on there.
So folks here can't walk and chew gum at the same time????

There isn't a "side" here.

In one instance, you have a major celebrity who has a history of controversy who said something this week.

In the other, you have someone none of us have ever heard of before who said something several years ago.

I'm sure millions of people none of us have ever heard of before have said ugly things several years ago. But, we don't know who any of them are, nor do we care to know. So, whatever they say doesn't really matter to the public at large.
Plus, I thought that in the past couple of years, anyway, we were all trying to develop more of a sensitivity to one another, as human beings. I guess this guy missed the memo.

Apparently, he's apologized now, but only after the pressure of losing a major endorsement deal and no doubt from his team.

Plus, I thought that in the past couple of years, anyway, we were all trying to develop more of a sensitivity to one another, as human beings. I guess this guy missed the memo.

Apparently, he's apologized now, but only after the pressure of losing a major endorsement deal and no doubt from his team.

Don't get me wrong, I think the thing is a little blown out of proportion. OTOH, it should be pretty obvious why he's the topic of conversation rather than her. And it's nothing to do with one statement or the other. It's about a celebrity & a nobody.

Don't get me wrong, I think the thing is a little blown out of proportion. OTOH, it should be pretty obvious why he's the topic of conversation rather than her. And it's nothing to do with one statement or the other. It's about a celebrity & a nobody.
Every little thing is news today.

So folks here can't walk and chew gum at the same time????

You can do whatever you like here, I never said you couldn't. All I said is that you've got some strange logic going on being upset about people not talking about something that you personally have an issue with when you yourself aren't really discussing it either.

im not outraged, I just nod my head and say 'yep, been there plenty'. being a woman, I have been treated like this many times in my profession. I just smile and keep moving, I have pity on the men that treat me like a Barbie doll. oh if they only knew what they looked like.

As long as you are not being held back by their attitude, that's your choice. But don't have pity on them - they are most likely getting raises and bonuses you are not.

I'll admit I chose my words poorly last night. I don't really see this as disrespecting women. I see a woman that felt insulted, then tried to make a big deal out of it. As I said, I'm not a Can Newton, but if she wants female reporters to be taken seriously in the NFL, she's going to have to develop a thicker skin. If women start whining about not being taken seriously, the players will stop talking to them at all. There goes the jobs. They're not going to dump the players. They'll drop the women.

NFL is a business. This is not a playground game of kickball. There's a lot of money involved in this "game." Cheaters cost other teams & players money not to mention the average citizen that has money invested. I honestly don't know what to think about anyone that thinks it's not bad to cheat, because it's a game. IME, it's usually only the cheaters who think that.

Whining? Did you seriously state that a woman is whining when she makes a point of wanting to be treated as a professional? Need a thicker skin? Why on earth should someone be expected to take the abuse? Should we just let it keep occurring?

So it's more important to keep the money flow going than to treat women with equal respect?

Many of the fat old men are former players and/or coaches though & that gives them a level of credibility that a fat old woman simply doesn't have. Or, they're broadcasters who were young & thin when first hired and have paid their dues. Suzy Kolber is 53 now. She's highly skilled & highly respected, but she too paid her dues.

I do agree many of the former players & coaches are just awful. And they stay on air far longer than their relative "celebrity" should warrant.

Seriously? Fat old men who babble on have no credibility, IMO. They don't know when to shut up. Women can't know as much as men about the sport, because they don't play it?

Here's what I don't understand...

Who cares if he's sexist or not? Companies that use him as a spokesperson can decide to drop him or not. As far as the league, it doesn't affect how he plays or the games he plays in, so why should they care? As for the public, it doesn't affect how he plays or the games he plays in, so who cares? I'm sure there are other sexist (along with racist) athletes. Does it change the way they play?

No, but as soon as he opens his mouth and gives us a view of his attitude, then it matters. Who cares how he plays?

As women who have taken roles in a male dominated field, my daughters and I beg to differ. Until women are treated as equally able to do the same things as men, then it needs to be a topic of conversation. This is not being blown out of proportion. Until you are treated as less able because of your gender, you just don't get it, IMO.

No, but as soon as he opens his mouth and gives us a view of his attitude, then it matters. Who cares how he plays?
Read the bolded. He's a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE. Aren't you (and others) arguing the reporter should be judged solely on her skill level in her job? So shouldn't the professional athlete be judged on their skill level in their job?

And before you or anyone else go there, I'm not defending his comments. I think he's 1000% wrong. But he's not getting paid for his beliefs, he's getting paid to play.

Read the bolded. He's a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE. Aren't you (and others) arguing the reporter should be judged solely on her skill level in her job? So shouldn't the professional athlete be judged on their skill level in their job?

And before you or anyone else go there, I'm not defending his comments. I think he's 1000% wrong. But he's not getting paid for his beliefs, he's getting paid to play.

But what does his playing have to do with what he said? Does he get a pass for being an ******* because he can play football?

He himself claims to be a role model to others. But what kind of role model is it to teach others how to degrade women? I could've easily looked the other way if he claimed a "DUH" moment and apologized right away. But he didn't, apparently because he didn't see anything wrong with what he said. She had actually said that the two had talked in the locker room after the interview and he said something even worse than before that she chose not to go public with. Then he only apologized under duress, after he lost a multi-millon dollar endorsement deal and endured pressure from his team and managers. And even then, his apology was one of those half-hearted, kind of blame-the-victim aplogies that aren't really apologies. :p (IMHO)

"After careful thought I understand that my word choice was extremely degrading and hurtful to women and, to be honest, that was not my intentions.

If you are a person who took offense to what I said, I sincerely apologize to you.

I'm a man who tries to be a positive role model in my community and tries to use my platform to inspire others.

I take ownership to everything that comes with that and what I did was extremely unacceptable.

I'm a father to two beautiful daughters and at their age I try to instill in them that they can do and be anything that they want to be.

The fact that during this whole process I've already lost sponsors and fans, I realize that the joke really is on me.

I've learned a valuable lesson from this. To the young people who see this, I hope that you learn something from this as well.

Don't be like me. Be better than me.

To the reporters, to the journalists, to the moms, supermoms, to the daughters, sisters and the women all around the world, I sincerely apologize and hope that you can find the kindness in your heart to forgive me.'

______________________________________________________________________________________

Dannon/Oikos Yogurt dropped him right away.

Pepsi, Under Armor and Belk did not.

If people are upset with this - or not - they could always take a stand with their pocketbooks.

And fwiw I think her remarks were disgusting as well.

She has owned up to it and apologized. We shall see if she keeps her job.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

"I apologize for the offensive tweets from my Twitter account from 4/5 years ago.

There is no excuse for these tweets and the sentiment behind them. I am deeply sorry and apologize."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-reporter-apologizes-racist-tweets-sent.html

_______________________________________________________________________________________

When are we all going to start getting along and respecting eachother? :confused3 Isn't that what most of us want? I thought the events of this week helped us all begin to realize we're all on the same team. I guess not.

As long as you are not being held back by their attitude, that's your choice. But don't have pity on them - they are most likely getting raises and bonuses you are not.

Whining? Did you seriously state that a woman is whining when she makes a point of wanting to be treated as a professional? Need a thicker skin? Why on earth should someone be expected to take the abuse? Should we just let it keep occurring?

So it's more important to keep the money flow going than to treat women with equal respect?

Seriously? Fat old men who babble on have no credibility, IMO. They don't know when to shut up. Women can't know as much as men about the sport, because they don't play it?

As women who have taken roles in a male dominated field, my daughters and I beg to differ. Until women are treated as equally able to do the same things as men, then it needs to be a topic of conversation. This is not being blown out of proportion. Until you are treated as less able because of your gender, you just don't get it, IMO.

Yes seriously, all other things being equal, people take a former Super Bowl winning coach more seriously than a former journalism student. I don't see the issue there. I also think Dorothy Hamil has a lot more credibility talking about figure skating than Kenny Albert. Why wouldn't I?

And I'm sorry, but all things are not equal. If you've never participated in football as anything more than a spectator, you're simply not as credible as someone who has "been there, done that". Moreover, you don't bring "celebrity" to the party.

Ideally, we'd have no blathering idiots in the booth. But, if I have to choose between 2 blathering idiots for the job, I'll take the one who directly participated in the game at the highest level over the one who didn't.

Every
Single
Time

Wait, so we are supposed to be upset because Cam made a "sexist" comment to a woman who has made racist comments on social media?????

The lack of public outrage about her behavior, while condemning his "behavior" is a problem.
What I would really like to see in our world is for all of us to try to wipe our slates clean and start again.

But that includes all of us making an effort.

I think most, if not all, of us, have experienced a heightened awareness of a LOT of issues that the people of our country, and world, need to be more aware of. It HAS to start somewhere! Playing the blame game hasn't gotten us very far.

Hasn't it been heartwarming to see people of all backgrounds helping eachother when the chips were down lately? Many risked their lives for their fellow man - just because. Many being complete strangers. Why can't we build on that?

A good friend of mine, who is an amazing, kind, wonderful woman, who happens to be of color, and I, had an interesting dialogue recently. She was criticizing a lot of people for derogatory comments. I had to remind her of some of the ones she herself has made towards others. She fought me on it for a while until she had to admit that she's been guilty herself. Most of us have been at one time or another.

We're living in a time where we ALL have to adjust our thinking. We're not going to live in a better world until we do.

He's paid to play and represent his employer. All employees are to represent their employer in the best possible light. Pro Athletes have the microphone and the spotlight on them at all times so they're basically not allowed to say really stupid stuff.

I'm one that is very lenient on athletes, typically willing to give them a pass. With Cam though, it seems like he has an incident EVERY SINGLE SEASON. He's no longer fresh out of college, he's a grown man who's been doing this for far too long to still act this stupid.

Nope,

I just popped in to see which side would be condemned here. Since I have been on the DIS for 16 years, I knew exactly what I would find.

Because nobody cares about the journalist on an individual level. She's a nobody, I didn't even knew she existed before this story broke.

Sure, you are right on that. What's does that have to do with female sport reporters being taken seriously? A previous said one thing that would help is if the female reporter weren't always so attractive. Why should their attractiveness matter when it comes to being taken seriously?
The issue of looks when it comes to who is being hired is a different issue than how they are treated on the job.

I think what he meant is that if all women sports reporters weren't models or former pageant queens, then there would be a better understanding of the knowledge that it takes to get this position, that it isn't just given to them because they're gorgeous (though it is, in part, given to them because they're gorgeous) but that it requires actual talent, dedication and intelligence (I would also argue that most beauty queens are very talented, dedicated, and intelligent).

Take, for example, women in engineering - are all women in engineers gorgeous, hot body, model types? Heck no! But are there beautiful women in engineering? Absolutely. And while I know that women in engineering face a lot of sexist comments as well, everyone understands that female engineers are very intelligent and that they didn't just become engineers because of how they look.

And I'm sorry, but all things are not equal. If you've never participated in football as anything more than a spectator, you're simply not as credible as someone who has "been there, done that". Moreover, you don't bring "celebrity" to the party.

Ideally, we'd have no blathering idiots in the booth. But, if I have to choose between 2 blathering idiots for the job, I'll take the one who directly participated in the game at the highest level over the one who didn't.

Every
Single
Time

Well with that thought let's hope all male ob /gyns start retiring or getting paid much less than their female counterparts since they don't have the same parts we have, they'll never have our problems, never get pregnant or give birth therefor they'll never know enough about our struggles to be as effective as a female doctor. You know, since going to school, learning all you can about your career path , getting a degree, spending a few years practicing and and doing research to stay on top of current findings is not the same as actually doing it.

Well with that thought let's hope all male ob /gyns start retiring or getting paid much less than their female counterparts since they don't have the same parts we have, they'll never have our problems, never get pregnant or give birth therefor they'll never know enough about our struggles to be as effective as a female doctor. You know, since going to school, learning all you can about your career path , getting a degree, spending a few years practicing and and doing research to stay on top of current findings is not the same as actually doing it.

Swing & a miss.

As a casual football player watcher, I just roll my eyes. If he loses endorsements I don't care. Hopefully it will teach him to use a filter when speaking. I am used random stupid and sexist comments.

He's paid to play and represent his employer. All employees are to represent their employer in the best possible light. Pro Athletes have the microphone and the spotlight on them at all times so they're basically not allowed to say really stupid stuff.

I'm one that is very lenient on athletes, typically willing to give them a pass. With Cam though, it seems like he has an incident EVERY SINGLE SEASON. He's no longer fresh out of college, he's a grown man who's been doing this for far too long to still act this stupid.
So the reporter was representing her employer with her tweets? It's up to the employer if they decide they're not being represented well. The point is people are claiming "you shouldn't judge the reporter because she's a female, judge her by her work." By the same token, "you shouldn't judge Newton because he's an idiot, judge him by his work."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter