Cam Newton Insults Female Reporter

Same with the dislike of him.

Rosie the Riveter pin and now saying he was trying to compliment the reporter with sarcasm doesn't help him one bit.

Agreed but I don't see that changing. Most men would rather watch some eye candy than listening to a woman that knew what she was talking about.

Which is probably the root of this instance. If I read correctly, Newton's original statement that set off the reporter was the he thought it was funny to hear a woman talk about routes as if she understood them. I think he was probably genuinely surprised to hear a woman intelligently discuss routes- because he has not been around a lot of female reporters who genuinely understand routes. The reporter then acted insulted and put him on the defensive and it went downhill from there.

In all fairness, it is probably not his fault he has not been exposed to female reporters who understand routes.

This one could have acted maturely and been a good influence on him. Instead, she reacted in a way that probably fortified some of those negative stereotypes Newton already held (women act on emotion, women overreact, women blow things out of proportion, etc.). That's a shame. She could have been a positive female influence for him.

Which is probably the root of this instance. If I read correctly, Newton's original statement that set off the reporter was the he thought it was funny to hear a woman talk about routes as if she understood them. I think he was probably genuinely surprised to hear a woman intelligently discuss routes- because he has not been around a lot of female reporters who genuinely understand routes. The reporter then acted insulted and put him on the defensive and it went downhill from there.

In all fairness, it is probably not his fault he has not been exposed to female reporters who understand routes.

This one could have acted maturely and been a good influence on him. Instead, she reacted in a way that probably fortified some of those negative stereotypes Newton already held (women act on emotion, women overreact, women blow things out of proportion, etc.). That's a shame. She could have been a positive female influence for him.

Are you serious? You have no idea what he was "thinking" or what female reporters he's been around. That's a lot of supposition on your part.

I know more about football than my DH does. Some of us were raised watching it and understand the game very, very well. I'm far from what people think of as a feminist but I thought it was pretty offensive.

Agreed but I don't see that changing. Most men would rather watch some eye candy than listening to a woman that knew what she was talking about.

Also I think many men are intimidated by smart women. I remember asking a next door neighbor about how things were going between him and his girlfriend. In a round about way he said he dumped her because she was going to college and he never made it past high school... I asked him what college she was going to thinking he was going to say something like Stanford, Cal Tech, or Harvey Mudd.... She was going to North Seattle Community College.... LOL

And, some men are just stupid. My DDIL has a masters degree and DS has an associates. It's never been an issue for them because they're more than their degrees.

Are you serious? You have no idea what he was "thinking" or what female reporters he's been around. That's a lot of supposition on your part.

I know more about football than my DH does. Some of us were raised watching it and understand the game very, very well. I'm far from what people think of as a feminist but I thought it was pretty offensive.
I don't think PP was saying females CAN'T know/understand routes, but that Cam hasn't been exposed to one.

And it's attitudes like this that make my job as a woman engineer way harder than it has to be.
"Genuinely surprised to hear a woman intelligently discussing routes" >:( [I've got Hannah Storm on line 1 for you!]

Perhaps this was the first time he met a woman who could intelligently discuss routes. I don't believe for one milisecond that it is, but let's just pretend that it is. A respectful professional just has the damn conversation and doesn't make his colleague (yes, when you're a pro athlete reporters are your colleagues) feel ostracized.

And it's attitudes like this that make my job as a woman engineer way harder than it has to be.
"Genuinely surprised to hear a woman intelligently discussing routes" >:( [I've got Hannah Storm on line 1 for you!]

Perhaps this was the first time he met a woman who could intelligently discuss routes. I don't believe for one milisecond that it is, but let's just pretend that it is. A respectful professional just has the damn conversation and doesn't make his colleague (yes, when you're a pro athlete reporters are your colleagues) feel ostracized.
I don't think anyone is saying he's not an idiot.

I think it was a stunt to get the media talking about something other than the previous comment he made about his "salute". That's why he was laughing about it. It worked. They totally quit talking about the other incident.

I don't think PP was saying females CAN'T know/understand routes, but that Cam hasn't been exposed to one.

I don't buy that. There are plenty of female sports reporters that cover both the pros and college, even though not as many as there are men. He should still know better than to say something like that. i would think he's been exposed to how to handle interview questions.

I don't buy that. There are plenty of female sports reporters that cover both the pros and college, even though not as many as there are men. He should still know better than to say something like that. i would think he's been exposed to how to handle interview questions.

I'm simply trying to see things from his perspective, which is important when making fair judgments. Too many people think others should think and see the world exactly as they do. We have different experiences and cultures and educational backgrounds and it is important to realize that before condemning others.

Again, I know nothing about him, other than what I have read about this incident. Perhaps if I already held an opinion of him prior to this I would feel differently. But this incident alone is not worth condemnation.

I think you must have fully misunderstood my comments.

I am a highly educated female who worked in law enforcement for nearly a decade, so I have personal experience with negative female stereotypes and how they impact women in their careers. I am also well aware that there are many women who are quite knowledgeable about many subjects that are traditionally male-dominated, including football, science, and engineering. Unfortunately, there are a lot of females who continue to act the stereotype, which continues to keep the stereotype alive. I saw it in my career, and I am sure it exists across other fields as well- including sports reporting.

I believe that this particular instance and how it was handled does nothing to further the cause of women. I believe that we do not make progress by insulting men and telling them they are sexist and forcing them to publicly apologize. To me, the best way to make progress is for more women to stop acting like the stereotypes we don't like.

If a person does not want to be stereotyped, then she should refuse to act the stereotype. As long as a good number of women act like a certain stereotype, those stereotypes will persist- regardless of how many insults or forced apologies we throw at perceived offenders.

I live in Auburn, AL. Cam played for the Auburn Tigers. No, I've never met him, but I have met other players. (Just to give a starting point.)

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Cam had never met a female that actually knew and spoke intelligently about routes.

I have no idea if that played at all into what he said. I don't know what he meant, if he was joking around or just totally clueless.

Yes seriously, all other things being equal, people take a former Super Bowl winning coach more seriously than a former journalism student. I don't see the issue there. I also think Dorothy Hamil has a lot more credibility talking about figure skating than Kenny Albert. Why wouldn't I?

And I'm sorry, but all things are not equal. If you've never participated in football as anything more than a spectator, you're simply not as credible as someone who has "been there, done that". Moreover, you don't bring "celebrity" to the party.

Ideally, we'd have no blathering idiots in the booth. But, if I have to choose between 2 blathering idiots for the job, I'll take the one who directly participated in the game at the highest level over the one who didn't.

Every
Single
Time

And you can make that choice, but it doesn't hold true that one is more credible than the other. Has every single NFL coach been a player in the NFL? The answer to that is... No. So how come they are coaches? How can they be credible, been there, done that?

Swing & a miss.

Yup, you did.

And you can make that choice, but it doesn't hold true that one is more credible than the other. Has every single NFL coach been a player in the NFL? The answer to that is... No. So how come they are coaches? How can they be credible, been there, done that?

Yup, you did.

Being a coach is NOTHING like being an observer of the sport. The two things aren't even remotely on the same level.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!