Cambria best stopover from SF to LA?

WDWfan uk

<font color=red>.... but you can call me Shirley :
Hi All :)

Planning a trip - from UK, then staying at San Francisco for 4 nights then picking up rental car and heading down Highway 1 stopping off at Monterey to visit the Aquarium and on to Cambria for 2 nights as it is halfway, and also to visit Hearst Castle.

Then continue on to DL - probably 3 nights, and maybe a visit to San Diego before flying back to UK from LAX.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a hotel on Cambria? We'd like to stay on Moonstone Drive where you are overlooking the sea.

If you have any other thoughts on our plan - any recommendations for hotels in any of these places (apart from DL which I'm okay with) or other advice, I'd be very grateful.

I don't know about hotels in Cambria but in Monterey I really like the Monterey Bay Inn. It has a great location close to the aquarium (walking distance), Cannery row, stores, restuarants etc.

Also, if you wanted to stay 1 nite in Cambria and 1 nite in somewhere a little further south you could try San Louis Obispo or Pismo Beach. In SLO there is a fun little hotel called the Madonna Inn. It's very ecclectic and whimsical, not for everyone though. It's a great place for a 1 nite stay though just for the experience. Also in Pismo Beach there is a place called the Kon Tiki Inn where each room has an ocean view.

Do you have time to see Santa Barbara?? This is probably one the most beautiful towns in California. Has very much an old Spanish California atmosphere, with alot of neat shops, eats and sights, right down town. There is also a great pier called Stearns Wharf, on the same street. Cambria is a kind of quaint English town. You might feel at home. I've never stayed there, but it is nice. We usually go to Pismo and stay at Kon Tiki too. It is with in walking distance to downtown. Pismo is fun, and quite eclectic. If you go there try McClintocks Saloon for dinner. It's fun and pure BBQ affair. For lunch go to Splash for good old clam chowder and burgers. Yum!!! Be prepared to wait in line though!!! You will not go away hungry at either of these places, so be careful of what you order. Have fun and feel welcome to ask more questions. PS My girlfriend up the street goes to Cambria all the time and I can ask her where they stay if you like.

Thank you very much - your posts have given me much more to think about - I had not heard of Pismo Beach, and I did not know whether to include time at Santa Barbara or not, but I am working very much on recommendation planning this trip, so this is all valuable info :)

Well, to let my bias show i am not a San Fransico fan. I would cut a night there to spend in Santa Barbara in a second!
We stayed at the Moonstone Inn in Cambiria on our honeymoon, it was wonderfull.
In San Luis Obispo we really like the Apple farm Inn (although we stayed at the Madonna on our honeymoon LOL)

Judy from Boise said:
In San Luis Obispo we really like the Apple farm Inn (although we stayed at the Madonna on our honeymoon LOL)

My boyfriend took me there as a surprise for my last birthday and we stayed in one of the rock rooms. It was so cute and fun! I also really liked that there was a rock waterfall shower in the bathroom. I definately think it's a fun, special place but I can't imagine staying there like I would in a normal hotel for more than 1 or 2 days. I do want to go back and try out some of the other rooms though, I love that they are all different.

A hotel in Cambria is the Cavalier Inn right on the beach. If you decide to stay there book early, it is almost always sold out. It is popular.

When the evening comes, they light up several outdoors fire pits so you can sit and watch the sunset. You can also do smoores - (The US natives knows.. ). Smoores are toasted marshmallows with chocolate and graham crackers. You toast it on the fire pit.. and you can't eat just one. Anyway, we stayed there all the time. We had a room reserved for each month of the year there... :)

Need a nice but not fancy place to eat, try the Main Street Grill (I think that is the name) right at the main street into Cambria. It serves bbq sandwiches - good ones. Want something more exotic, try the Ginger Cafe, it serves Singaporean dishes... Want something more fancy, try Robins.

If you want a fancier hotel, you can try the Cambria Inn on top of the hill. Nice but a bit away from the beach and town.

Take the tours for Hearst Castle and if you get the chance go to the park across the street from the castle and enjoy the pier.

Anyway, have fun.

Regards

Taz
CA_Stitch

xmelissax said:
My boyfriend took me there as a surprise for my last birthday and we stayed in one of the rock rooms. It was so cute and fun! I also really liked that there was a rock waterfall shower in the bathroom. I definately think it's a fun, special place but I can't imagine staying there like I would in a normal hotel for more than 1 or 2 days. I do want to go back and try out some of the other rooms though, I love that they are all different.
We were in the Alpine room, and did have the rock shower!
My DH is a Cal Poly grad....so he has lots of fond memories of the Madonna. Did you have a guy who smuggled you into see the rock/waterfall urinal in the main men's restroom?

But we love the Apple farm Inn.

Judy from Boise said:
We were in the Alpine room, and did have the rock shower!
My DH is a Cal Poly grad....so he has lots of fond memories of the Madonna. Did you have a guy who smuggled you into see the rock/waterfall urinal in the main men's restroom?

But we love the Apple farm Inn.

We stayed in Gypsy Rocks. We wanted to stay in the Caveman room all decorated in animal print but it was booked. I did get snuck in to see the urinal,haha. I took a picture too!

WDWfan said:
Hi All :)

Planning a trip - from UK, then staying at San Francisco for 4 nights then picking up rental car and heading down Highway 1 stopping off at Monterey to visit the Aquarium and on to Cambria for 2 nights as it is halfway, and also to visit Hearst Castle.

Then continue on to DL - probably 3 nights, and maybe a visit to San Diego before flying back to UK from LAX.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a hotel on Cambria? We'd like to stay on Moonstone Drive where you are overlooking the sea.

If you have any other thoughts on our plan - any recommendations for hotels in any of these places (apart from DL which I'm okay with) or other advice, I'd be very grateful.

Shirley- when are you going on your trip- sounds like we're taking a similar trip- we are leaving south florida on july 7 and flying to san francisco- we are also driving down to cambria and touring hearst castle- we currently have ressies at the best western in cambria- right on the beach- never been there though- then in santa barbara we are taking a whale sighting tour for 1/2 day- sounds great- go to http://www.condorcruises.com/ if you are interested. Have fun!!

Hi Rhona - well can you believe I'm still in the process of planning but haven't booked yet - however our prospective dates are August 21st/22nd - September 3rd/4th. (I need to book the flights soon as the prices are going up as the planes fill!)

I think you are spoiled for choice in California - SO much to see and do! However, there is no way we are going to cover all that we want to do in one trip, and so reluctantly leaving out Yosemite and Grand Canyon trip for another time.

Just got to get my head round an 11 hour flight :crazy:

Just to clarify and avoid confusion:

The Cavalier Inn in my previous post is the Best Western. Best Western Cavalier Inn.

By the way, if you are interested in California's history. From SF down to Cambria, you will be travelling close to several missions which is part of 21 missions definining part of the history of California.

If you have time, go see the Carmel Mission which is located in Carmel-by-the-sea. A lovely place to visit on the Monterey Peninsula.

Enjoy your trip. :)

Shirley,
I may have misunderstood your post, but are you planning on getting up in the morning in SF, picking up the car, driving to Monterey, going to the aquarium and then driving to Cambria to spend the night, all in one day? If so, that is one long day. Personally I would spend the night in Monterey that night (Spindrift Inn, down the street from aquarium, beautiful room overlooking beach, pricey but well worth it!), Santa Barbara the next night and then on to Disneyland.

Good luck. You will have a beautiful time whatever you decide.

Suzanne

We just did this exact trip and I just startd posting a report on my blog. I have just the prologue and SF up right now. Cambria is a nice stop for one day and a great base to visit Hearst Castle. We stayed at the White Water Inn and really enjoyed it & highly recommend it. I will be posting the Cambria portion soon.

My Blog

Lissete, will you please post a thread (with a link) on the CA trip reports page,as you get each section done? Thanks so much! :)

Two nights in Cambria might be too much. I agree with the suggestion of one night there and perhaps another night further down the coast at Pismo or Santa Barbara.

Hearst Castle is amazing. Although, y'all across the pond there might be used to castles, this one was built by a private citizen--what excess!

When I was younger, they used to let the park guides have an occasional swim party in one of the fabulous pools there. I think they no longer allow this, but I really wanted to grow up to be one of those guides!

Dandylyon said:
Two nights in Cambria might be too much. I agree with the suggestion of one night there and perhaps another night further down the coast at Pismo or Santa Barbara.

Hearst Castle is amazing. Although, y'all across the pond there might be used to castles, this one was built by a private citizen--what excess!

When I was younger, they used to let the park guides have an occasional swim party in one of the fabulous pools there. I think they no longer allow this, but I really wanted to grow up to be one of those guides!

We were at Hearst Castle on July 9th and our tour guide said they still let them swim in the outdoor pool once a year.

disneycrazycatlady said:
We were at Hearst Castle on July 9th and our tour guide said they still let them swim in the outdoor pool once a year.

Cool! Now I'll have to rethink my career plans. OTOH, at 48....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts