Camcorders bought in the USA

kay martin

Earning My Ears
We bought a camcorder last year for our Christmas hol however, it had to be fixed 3 times and now Comet have giving us a refund. Looking on the Walmart website the prices are very competitive with the UK market, we are fairly certain that we saw small union jacks next to the camcorders for sale? has anyone bought in the USA and the connections work here plus hopefully Asda would help if anything went wrong with the camcorder? we would buy $ now with the refund ready for our christmas holiday.

hi,

The cams you buy in the states will be NTSC, this is their TV format, whereas ours is PAL. Most equipment you buy these days here in the uk is both NTSC and PAL, so it could well be the case over there too. but you will need to check that if it is only NTSC, that you TV will play back NTSC and not just PAL.

This has probably just confused the whole thing for you. you may be as well to get in touch with What TV or some other magazine.

Have a great holiday
Steve

A number of the tourist electrical shops along I-Drive and the 192 sell UK-compatible (PAL system) camcorders. I've not noticed whether Walmart does, but then I've not specifically looked.

My brother-in-law bought a JVC camcorder last year in Orlando, and although it is a great camcorder I don't think that he got a good price for it. I saw the same camcorder for sale in the UK (in Jessops) for quite a bit cheaper only a few weeks after we returned from Orlando.

Undoubtedly there are bargains to be had in Orlando, but I think that a large number of shops rely on impulse purchasing (and charge prices accordingly). If you are thinking about buying a camcorder I would recommend you do lots of research in the UK so you know what the going rate is for the model/features you want. You will then know when you are being offered a good price and when the local shops are charging 'tourist' rates. Speaking personally I would want to see a major price reduction over UK prices to justify the potential hassle if there is a problem with the warranty.

Regards

Rob

i called sony UK technical support last week to ask about the warranty implecations if i bought a sony digital camera in USA and brought it back to UK......

i was told i would only get a 90 day limited warranty - full parts warranty for a year but only 90 days warranty on parts and labour.

i shopped around on the net and found fairly cheap deals from mail order shops in the UK

To find the best prices on the web, try Pricerunner. I found that I saved about £350 over Comet, Jessops etc by buying my camcorder from a web based shop.

With regards to sony warrenty just make sure in ahs an intrnational warrenty like ours does and it will be covered no problem.

Any futher info required regards sony pm me we deal with sony direct.

I have bought one in the states and a few here, i wouldnt buy one abroad again, the savings arent there anymore.

Today, although the profit margin on a camcorder at dixons is 50%ish, there are plenty of cut throat dealers in the uk willing to sell their souls if necessary to get the business.

I have used this strategy :

Decide what models you want to buy and know the model - cut it down to only 2 or 3.

Buy a camcorder mag and scan it for the latest discounts available

Phone the discount boys and play them off against each other. When they say who offered how much, quote one of the discount cos and subtract 100 quid. If they offer to match it, say no, i want it for less enough to make me buy it from you.....

After a few calls you wil know the true market cost of the device, and can pick a dealer.

The web is a reasonable starting point (use www.whichwebtrader.which.net they have a list of safe dealers that is a good point to go from - consumers association) but knowledgeable haggling gets the best deals.

The US couldnt compete with stiff deals in the uk on price alone - forget the other hassles that are introduced.

One i have used is Krish's in Chiswick, no better or worse than others, but i bought a Panasonic 3 ccd camera (nvdx100?), U]at the time.[/U] 1800 in Dixons, for 1150, plus 10% off all accessories[

I've bought in the States and got international warrenty and an excellent discount. I suppose it depends on where you go, what questions you ask and how'touristy' you look. The saving we made on tyhe sony we bought plus the extras (bigger battery taoes etc) was a staggering 45% cheaper than what the best deal was in the UK internet or shop.

So it can be done but do you really want to spend your precious holiday time hunting an elusive bargin.

Originally posted by Muppet

So it can be done but do you really want to spend your precious holiday time hunting an elusive bargin.

that's the thing isn't it, the time you need to spend hunting the bargains

another thing to remember is if you buy in the UK before you go then you'll have enough time to practise / learn how to use the camera / camcorder properly whereas if you buy in the states you could end up with poor pics / pic quality due to not knowing how to operate the thing right

:D

On a similar topic!!
I'm considering a Minolta S304 digital camera, 3 milllion mega pixel - best UK price - £332. The next model up is the 4 million mega pixel S404 - US price £335. It is NTSC/PAL selectable on the camera.
My friend has a sister coming over in August - I'm travelling to Florida in September, so I'm trying to arrange a wire transfer to get the camera from her.

If I make sure I get an International warranty I think it will be worth the hassle.
Brian

Remember depending on which airport you fly from you can buy electrical goods duty free before you go.

I noticed you could save over £100 on digital cameras and the savings will be even more on camcorders!!

i called dixons tax free shop at gatwick and asked them the price of the camera i bought mail order in the UK and it was the same price.

i could have bought the camera a lot cheaper mail order in the states

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter