Campground closest to fort?

serenitygr

2021: trip number six to the Fort!!
I tried to search old threads for this info but can’t find anything- hopefully someone can help me out...

We need to know the closest campground to the fort- we’ll be getting there Friday night ( possibly very late after “normal” check in hours, and basically need a place to sleep. Then we’ll be getting up early- about 6am- and heading to the Fort Saturday morning. Hookups aren’t even necessary, but we don’t think in Florida you’re allowed to park at Walmart’s overnight. Normally we’ve stayed at a koa about an hour away but I’m thinking I’ve read there’s one closer...

Thanks!

I think I just answered my own question. After researching, I made a reservation at the Koa in Kissimmee- any opinions of that campground are welcome!

Lake Louisa is a good place to stay the night before checking into the Fort. We have stayed there twice now and going to stay there 10/26 before our check in on 10/27. Close, clean and good rates. Only problem, very popular so might be hard to get a site at this date.

Steve

Lake Louisa is a good place to stay the night before checking into the Fort. We have stayed there twice now and going to stay there 10/26 before our check in on 10/27. Close, clean and good rates. Only problem, very popular so might be hard to get a site at this date.

Steve
Hi steve! I already made one at the Kissimmee KOA, but thank you! We’re both staying the same night and checking in Saturday! Maybe we can meet up in the Fort parking lot while we’re waiting for our sites!
We’re hoping for Big Bear- what are you hoping for?

Hi steve! I already made one at the Kissimmee KOA, but thank you! We’re both staying the same night and checking in Saturday! Maybe we can meet up in the Fort parking lot while we’re waiting for our sites!
We’re hoping for Big Bear- what are you hoping for?

Glad you got a site. We stayed in Big Bear Loop last year (1403 I think) and really liked it. Not sure what loop we may request this year. We have stayed in 100, 200, 400, 900, 1000 and 1200 and 1400 on past trips. Teresa and I had talked about maybe requesting a different loop just to try another loop. Saturday is a setup and Trails End dinner day for us. We will be at the Fort all day. We plan on looping that evening after dinner. If we don't meet up at check in, maybe we will see you guys sometimes that evening. Safe travels to you and your family.

Steve

Glad you got a site. We stayed in Big Bear Loop last year (1403 I think) and really liked it. Not sure what loop we may request this year. We have stayed in 100, 200, 400, 900, 1000 and 1200 and 1400 on past trips. Teresa and I had talked about maybe requesting a different loop just to try another loop. Saturday is a setup and Trails End dinner day for us. We will be at the Fort all day. We plan on looping that evening after dinner. If we don't meet up at check in, maybe we will see you guys sometimes that evening. Safe travels to you and your family.

Steve
We’ve been in Big Bear all three trips- it’s like home for us :) we’ll also be setting up and decorating that day- planning on having burgers from the chuck wagon and watching the movie that night. Sunday is our Trails End brunch ( we’ve never had brunch there before!) and three of us are going to the Halloween party that evening!

Safe travels to you as well! Sounds like a good chance we’ll get to say hi - maybe more than once! We’ll have our DIS sign up as well!

In case anyone else is interested, there are a bunch of campgrounds nearby (distance and time to Fort based on Google Maps):

Tropical Palms : 8.1 miles, 16 mins
Sherwood Forest : 7.8 miles, 17 mins
Orlando / Kissimmee KOA : 8.2 miles, 17 mins
Outdoor Resorts Orlando : 13 miles, 25 mins
Lake Magic RV : 13.4 miles , 25 mins
Orlando RV Resort : 17.4 miles, 34 mins
Lake Louisa : 25.7 miles, 42 mins

I'm sure there are others too.

We've stayed at Tropical Palms, Sherwood Forest, Outdoor Resorts, Lake Magic and Orlando RV Resort mostly because I believe you can stay there for less than KOA.

If you are planning on being in the area for 2 weeks or if you go multiple times per year, getting a Thousand Trails zone membership and staying at Orlando RV Resort might be the cheapest (about $42/night for 14 days but the membership allows you to stay up to 14 nights free as much as you want as long as you leave for 7 nights (i.e. technically, you could stay about 18 times for 14 nights each stay during the year with the membership (i.e. under $3/night) but that's not necessarily realistic and they might have small resort fees so might not be 100% accurate)). I believe several of the others accept PassportAmerica (possibly not all year) and it's quite cheap (about $20-30 / night) using that.

I think I just answered my own question. After researching, I made a reservation at the Koa in Kissimmee- any opinions of that campground are welcome!
We stayed there for one night, no complaints. It was pretty easy getting to WDW the next morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter