Camping near DL?

parmtoo

DIS Veteran
Hi To All!

This is my first post on the DL board.
We are relocating to Ca. this summer. We have been to WDW many times and usually stay at Fort Wilderness. My question is, is there a nice place to camp near DL? I wish they had a FW out there. If any of you camped in the area, I'd love to hear about area campgrounds.
Thanks,
Robin P.

Robin P.
FW 75-80,89
offsite 88,93,94,95,96,97,98
FW 99
Next Trip Dec.2000 FW

Hi Robin, and welcome to the Disneyland board!

Well, I'm not a camper but I'll try and help. :) Disneyland is located in the middle of a pretty urban area, and none of the three Disney owned resorts are anything like Fort Wilderness. There ARE places around Disneyland to park an RV or fifth wheel, but none of them (to my knowledge) are in any type of woodsy area. Outside of the city area there are plenty of places to camp.

Maybe some local campers can help you out a little more! :)

Michelle
Assistant Webmaster
Cruise & Inspiration Board Co-Host
Disneyland Board Co-Host

Thanks Michelle!

I guess we'll be looking for something nice, and a little out of the way. I'm getting excited about our first trip to DL. We were just in WDW the second week of Dec, is this also a good time for DL? That's always a good time for my husband to take off from work.

Robin P.
FW 75-80,89
FW 99
Next Trip Dec.2000 FW

Are you planning to tent it or do you have an RV? In June last year, we drove south to California with our travel trailer. We decided not to stay at any of the RV "parking lots" in Anaheim and opted for Newport Beach Dunes. Though the brochure said it's a 30 min. drive from Disneyland, it's actually 40 min. It wasn't a woodsy RV campground. It's more beach and sand. Bring a canoe, if you wish. We thoroughly enjoyed it and wished we could've spent longer at the RV resort...but that would mean sacrificing time at Disneyland... We also found Newport Beach very beautiful.

The only downside to staying at an RV resort outside of DL is the long drive back after a long day at DL. We have 2 small children and the long drive was a factor for us.

Hi c&m,

We have a 25ft travel trailer. We have never been to DL before, so we know nothing about the RV parking lots. Do people sleep in the lots?
I like the idea of staying at the beach though. We have three children, so maybe we could split the trip with some time @ DL, and then some time at the beach?

Robin P.
FW 75-80,89
FW 99
Next Trip Dec.2000 FW

flowerface.GIF
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color=#006600>

Here are some links to camping in the Los Angeles/Orange County areas:

This seems to be for RV camping in Anaheim (& Disneyland is in Anaheim). It's called VacationPark Anaheim:

http://www.gocampingamerica.com/avp/

This is a popular spot, but about 30-40 minutes from Disneyland. It's on the beach, and there are activities. The area is Dana Point, and this camp area is called Doheny State Beach (I know you have to make reservations here).

http://www.reserveamerica.com/usa/ca/dohe/

Here's another RV park in Anaheim - this is on the same street that Disneyland is on, but I don't know how far down:

http://www.gocampingamerica.com/anaheimharbor/index.html
Here is the online brochure:
http://www.gocampingamerica.com/anaheimresort/index.html

This next one is Newport Dunes:

http://www.gocampingamerica.com/newportdunes/index.html

Hope some of these help. :)

<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color=#FF0066>Mary Jo
mms.gif

Disneyland Board Co-Moderator
galw.gif

My Disneyland Site
My Sequoia/Yosemite Trip

Dress Up Your Posts

The info and the links are great. Our trip is nearly a year away, (Dec. 2001) and I'm already soooo excited!
Thanks to you all! :D

Robin P.
FW 75-80,89
FW 99
Next Trip Dec.2000 FW

There are 2 RV parks close to Disneyland but I would pick "ORANGELAND" (714-744-6390) because it is a little farther from the hustle and bustle but a really nice park with Orange trees, a great pool, etc. It is right off Katella Ave, South of the 57 Fwy in Anaheim/Orange. It is close to the Angels Baseball Stadium and the Arrowhead Pond (home of the Mighty Ducks) and is only about a 10 minute drive from the Park. The owners are very nice people and it is a nice quiet clean park. It is very popular, tho' and you should call ahead for ressies! Some of the spaces have little grass areas but some are strictly asphalt--they do have all hookup facilities, and nice showers, etc. I do not know if they have tenting facilities, tho'.

YOU WILL LOVE CALIFORNIA AND DISNEYLAND--WE DO! E-MAIL ME IF YOU HAVE OTHER SPECIFIC QUESTIONS! I am a native Southern Californian and I have had Annual Passes for Disneyland for over 9 years!

BTW--the two weeks before Christmas is a great time to go the Disneyland. The decorations are great and the crowds are manageable--in case you hadn't heard, D-Land actually filled to capacity 4 days during Christmas week and was CLOSED! This has only happened one other time in its history :cool:

Hi Parmtoo:

Those "parking lots" located near DL are indeed RV spaces for the night where you can sleep for as many nights as you reserve. We passed by a couple of them on our drive into DL from Newport Beach. They do look like parking lots, where they pack you in like sardines. We did have fun at Newport Dunes, where the grounds were more spacious. The following is a link to Woodall's description of Newport Dunes:

www.woodalls.com/camprslts.cfm

There are, of course, other RV parks and resorts, which you can find through the Woodalls' site. Good luck in your search!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!