Can a baked potato be dinner?

The way I see it, if cereal is good enough for breakfast, it's good enough for dinner.

But I see your point, I doubt I would say tonight we are having pot roast , tomorrow is cereal. More like tonight is pot roast, tomorrow, you guys have to fend for yourselves.
::yes:: Yes, this of course. I’m not suggesting anyone in this scenario is forced to eat cereal.

Absolutely a baked potato can be a meal. We use large potatoes, several toppings, and maybe a salad and dessert. It may, or may not, contain a meat topping - is always very filling and satisfying.

If you have extended company--for example if a family member or very close friend is going to be staying with you for a few weeks to a month, while their house is finished being built, for example--do you "up" the quality of the meals you serve or do you just feed them the way you typically feed your family?

I often serve a baked potato as the main part of the meal, with sides, like maybe some steamed green beans and sliced tomatoes. Or sometimes just scrambled eggs and maybe a spinach salad. Or baked beans and cheese toast with a veg.

Would you consider these meals up to par for "company" that's probably not really expecting "company" treatment?

My family never complains, but maybe I'm just being lazy.
If they are family or good friends, I don't know that I'd change my serving habits. It's not like you're hosting a dinner party. It's just dinner. If they aren't satisfied with the dinner offerings, maybe they could pitch in and make a few dinners themselves.

Personally, a baked potato alone for dinner works in our house. Often with just butter or sour cream & bacon bits. No big topping bar.

Last edited:
Of course it can, baked beans and cheese, prawns, chilli con carne....All perfectly acceptable dinners for me. A good sized jacket potato plus fillings can fill you up very nicely. Maybe a slice or two of garlic bread if you still feel a bit peckish.

Sorry, but I dont consider a baked potato a main course/a meal. I wouldnt serve this at dinner, no matter how many toppings i had for it. But thats just me.

Having said that, i'd go about business as usual in your home. No way would i go out of my way to make fancier meals. If they dont like what you cook, too bad, they can eat something else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter