Can a DAS help w/ this transfer issue?

ppony

Artist in residence
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
I posted the circumstance that precipitated this post a few months back so I won't bore anyone w/ that again, but it did get me thinking. I'm in a motorized WC most of the time, certainly while at WDW I will be. I do NOT have the upper body strength to wheel myself around when forced to transfer to standard chair for certain attractions. I won't have someone with me that will be able to do it either. Can I request a DAS to be allowed to us an alternate entrance if one is available? I know for sure there is one at the HTT because I got to use it once. Later that same day, I was not allowed and forced to transfer which was a humiliating experience.

Das doesnt allow you to use alternative entrances. It just allows you to wait outside the line and enter through the fastpass line. I would think you would have to ask about alternative entrances at each ride, and youre at the mercy of the CM at the ride

I posted the circumstance that precipitated this post a few months back so I won't bore anyone w/ that again, but it did get me thinking. I'm in a motorized WC most of the time, certainly while at WDW I will be. I do NOT have the upper body strength to wheel myself around when forced to transfer to standard chair for certain attractions. I won't have someone with me that will be able to do it either. Can I request a DAS to be allowed to us an alternate entrance if one is available? I know for sure there is one at the HTT because I got to use it once. Later that same day, I was not allowed and forced to transfer which was a humiliating experience.
All the DAS lets you do is wait your time out side the line instead of inside for what you need I would explain your needs to the CM and see if they can accommodate you it might depend on how busy they are at the rides so trying when they are less busy might help you out also there are not a lot of rides that have alternative entrance most that do have it for all mobility device

DAS addresses waiting outside of the lines.
Other things about access are outside of DAS and are requested at individual attractions.

Be aware though that most attractions don’t have an alternative entrance - most are Mainstreamed so the lines are accessible.
From information I have from disability services, CMs are not expected to push wheelchairs in line for guests. (There are a few attractions where CMs push wheelchairs onto an accessible ride vehicle. They may also push wheelchairs out of the way/ into place after a guest transfers into/out of a ride vehicle)
People have occasionally reported a CM pushed them in line, but it’s pretty major pixie dust. It would depend on what’s available at the attraction and whether or not there is a CM free who is willing to do it (not part of their job description or expectation).

Bottom line - your issue is a mobility related one, and DAS won't help with that.

Transfer-related issues should be discussed with the CM managing the line. Now that the majority of lines have been redone to be wheelchair accessible, there aren't as many rides with alternative entrances, but your best bet is to discuss your specific need with the CM at the ride. If there are ways to assist with your transfer they will be the ones that know what can be done.

Also, If you are asked to transfer to an attraction manual wheelchair, I would suggest asking at the attractions what the issue is with your motorized wheelchair being in line.

If it is a pretty standard power wheelchair that fits into the same ‘footprint’ as a manual chair, my information from disability services it that it should be allowed in lines (even if ECVs are not). If your wheelchair fits that description and you are told not power devices’, I would ask to speak to a lead because it’s likely your device was mischaracterized as an ECV.
The only one I know specifically doesn’t allow is Pirates because loading and unload are in 2 different buildings.

I know you have to transfer at Pirates as that unloads at a different spot from loading. no way to get your chair to you at the end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter