Can a doctors note be in place of a medical form??

PolyGirl

Polynesian and DCL Addict
Hi all,

We sail in under 3 weeks and are extremely EXCITED!!!! However, my daughter has been diagnosed with Celiac Disease (a gluten/wheat allergy). This disease causes stomach problems if she eats anything with gluten in it.

Should I have her doctor give us a note on this in case DCL thinks she has the Norwalk virus. I think it will be extremely hard for us to avoid Gluten on the cruise and do not want to have what happened to 4Nana happen to us.

I know there is a medical form that DCL can send you but I'm afraid there isn't enough time before the cruise.

My daughter has an appt. for an Endoscopy on Monday so I thought her doctor could write a note to DCL about her condition.

Will this note be sufficient for DCL???

Please advise.

Thanks!!!

I would call DCL, explain situation. Maybe they could fax the form to you. Regardless, I would take a note from the Doctor 'just in case.' You could then give it to GS or Dining Room Head Waiter on board to assure that your daughter was not given food that would disagree with her condition. In short - cover ALL bases!

We were on the Magic Dec. 14th and my girlfriend whose family also went with us on that cruise has Celiac's Disease. She faxed in her medical form and was then contacted by DCL a week before we left.

The Head Server came to her each night to tell her which items on the menu were gluten free (and there were 2 choices each night as well as desserts she could eat). The Head Server was extremely helpful to her!

I would fax the medical form ASAP and let them know that she was just diagnosed... they may be able to still plan menus for her each night.

Good luck on your cruise!

I would for sure take something in writing from your doctor. When i traveled to China, I had my doctor write a letter stating info about my allergy troubles, and what medications i am prescribed, just to make sure i wouldn't have problems taking the medicine in and out of there...

Future SIL used the form. CM weren't prepared the first night, even though we had told them about her condition. They scrambled and came up A++. She is an extremely picky Italian she gave them a run for their money! Each night Alana had a plate of gluten/wheat free pasta and fresh gluten/wheat free rolls. They were excellent. One night she 'didn't feel like attending dinner' and they sent it to her cabin! They watched her from afar. They even watched her from the buffet to make sure there was always something for her to eat. No flare-ups the entire time.

You daughter should do just fine. Talk to the head server personally, before dinner when things aren't hectic. We went to speak to the reservation people upon boarding. The message didn't get to the server. I would try and get to dinner early (maybe alone) to arrange things.

Have a great time!!!!

Kim

I occasionally get migraines and sometimes it takes several hours of lying down to get rid of them. I was going to make an appt Monday for the dr ~ I hope he will be open and have an appt :) Since I am new to this I didn't realize I needed a "form". Actually, if I hadn't read what happened for 4nana I wouldn't have even thought of it. I really don't have time on my side ~ in my situation do you think a note would work?

Originally posted by Kajunswty
I occasionally get migraines and sometimes it takes several hours of lying down to get rid of them. I was going to make an appt Monday for the dr ~ I hope he will be open and have an appt :) Since I am new to this I didn't realize I needed a "form". Actually, if I hadn't read what happened for 4nana I wouldn't have even thought of it. I really don't have time on my side ~ in my situation do you think a note would work?

My wife also has migraines and has to go to bed in a dark room for several hours w/ medicine to get rid of them. I spoke to DCL on Friday and they were not particularly helpful or concerned. They were adamant that a medical form was only required, or wanted by them for life threatening conditions. I think we're going to bring a copy of the prescription and try to get our family doctor to also write a short note, perhaps on his prescription pad.

I also have some health issues that might be confused as the Norwalk virus. I contacted Disney and they SUGGESTED that I bring a note from my doctor and said nothing about a form. Hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter