Can a GAC card help with a buffet???

sbtw13

Earning My Ears
Hi-
We are shortly heading to disney world with our family which consists of me and DH and 3 little children ( age 2 and under). My SIL is coming with us. Both my DH and my SIL are visually impaired. DH's impairment is not obvious to the world- SIL's is (she uses a cane.)
In general we avoid eating at buffets b/c DH can't see the food (and is sort of a picky eater) and with the kids it is just too challenging. But it seems like a lot of disney is buffets. We currently have reservations for Mickey's bbq- which is a buffet. I am envisioning myself making 4 trips through the line to get food for myself; DH; SIL; and Kids. And then again if anyone wants seconds.
It occurred to me while reading through this forum that maybe we could ask for assistance? I'm not sure if we could or if we would get it--- we don't 'need' it in the sense that we have a path for everyone to eat--- it just means that I make 4 trips. DH in general is very resistent to ever asking for any help-- SIL tends to be much more open to help (and she has more significant needs).
If a GAC card would help- is there a way to get them from the resort or before we get there- or do we have to get them once we arrive?

A Gac will do nothing for you here a) it's not intended for anything other than rides and some shows and b) there's no accommodation that it can make that would help you. No matter what you still have to physically go and get your food. Personally I just made 2 trips but with so many people I can see where this would be an issue.

Someone else will probably chime in here but if I was in your situation, I just wouldn't bother with any type of buffet. Even assuming you can get someone to help you, I don't think you can count on them making multiple trips or having more than one person helping you. Then say you get help once, maybe the restaurant is really busy and there isn't anyone around to help a second trip right away and you have to wait for it. To me, that's a lot of what if's and a lot of unneeded stress.

Personally I'd probably try and change the Mickey's BBQ because it's outside and would be a chore to follow all the kids around yourself because it would be really easy for them to get lost in the crowd of people on the dance floor especially once the characters get going. I think if you asked you could get some help with getting food but service can be hit or miss with buffets. Have you considered Hoop Dee Doo? It's the same cost as the BBQ but you sit and the food is served family style. The show is really cute for kids and adults and would even be fun with limited vision.

A Gueat Assistance Card would not help in restaurants. They are for attractions.

We go to a buffet with a person in a wheelchair and have been offered help carrying a plate back, but not for the picking out of food process. You may be able to get help with carrying the plate, but that may not be available when you need it if it's really busy.

I personally would not go to a buffet with that group of people - it's hard enough with little kids, but would be even harder with 2 adults who need assistance.

If they decide that a GAC would help for attractions, there is more information in post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. You need to request a GAC inside a park. It can't be requested at a resort, Downtown Disney or before you arrive.

I'd switch to a character meal like the Garden Grill where it is family style and they bring you the food.

The buffets get busy, someone may be able to help you but you may need to wait. A sit down would be much easier.

thanks-- you are confirming alot of my concerns :)
The bbq was particularly appealing b/c we are staying at FW- so it is right there. I'm going to think about this one a little more.

Adding my voice to those suggesting the Hoop De Doo. You won't see "classic Disney characters," but it's a truly enjoyable experience for all ages. I've never seen anybody leave without a huge grin on their faces. And it's barbecue-style food, so you'll get the same sort of flavor you would at Mickey's.

At the attractions, upon showing our Guest Assistance Card to a Cast Member, they always direct us to a more comfortable, and quiet waiting area for my son who will tend to bounce (like Tigger). This way we don't disturb guests around us.

It is only for attractions not for shows or meals. What I do for the table service meals is speak to the Cast Member when I check in and politely ask for a table nearest the restrooms, or wall or window area after explaining our situation. We might wait a bit longer, but it's well worth it as our meal is relatively stress free.

Hope this helps you a little.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter