Can a wheelchair be folded and taken on the bus like a stroller?

gigi1313

DIS Veteran
My mom has some mobility issues, but she's not totally wheelchair bound (doing pretty well for an 85yo!) and i was wondering if her manual/push wheelchair could be folded and carried on like a stroller or does she have to stay in it, and board at the back of the bus thru the accessible door, etc?

i'm sure some of the knowledgeable people on this board would know :)

if you check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread, you will find a whole section about bus travel (much of it written by some very helpful DIS posters who are/were bus CMs).
Anyway, to answer your question, yes you can fold it and treat it like a wheelchair. Because a folded wheelchair is pretty heavy and bulky, you would probably still be best off boarding at the back door.

My mom has some mobility issues, but she's not totally wheelchair bound (doing pretty well for an 85yo!) and i was wondering if her manual/push wheelchair could be folded and carried on like a stroller or does she have to stay in it, and board at the back of the bus thru the accessible door, etc?

i'm sure some of the knowledgeable people on this board would know :)

Yes, we have a folding, lightweight wheelchair for my mom for this exact reason. She can walk but not long distances, so we bought a $90 "travel" wheelchair at Sams & use it like a stroller at WDW, it works great! Some bus drivers offer us the option of boarding in the back, because it's easier to carry it onto the bus there.

I highly recommend this wheelchair for WDW as opposed to standard wheelchairs it's only 24 lbs but can hold up to 250lbs.

Here's a link: (it was $90 at Sams, online price is more)
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=326193

ironically we have the *exact* same wheelchair and were thinking we'd leave it home and rent one from walker mobility... but maybe for just this reason i'll suggest that mom bring it instead! do you gate check it on the airplane?

just a little p.s.: we're mets fans too! i grew up w/dad having season tickets... best seats in the house, on the on-deck batter's circle!

ironically we have the *exact* same wheelchair and were thinking we'd leave it home and rent one from walker mobility... but maybe for just this reason i'll suggest that mom bring it instead! do you gate check it on the airplane?

I would definitely bring it!!! We use it in the airport then just leave it at the airplane entrance like a stroller. Then when we get off the plane it's right there waiting for us. I guess that would be gate check then, wouldn't it? :laughing: It's so light weight & convenient, plus you'll save a lot of money. Not to mention you'll have it at both airports, instead of only once you get to the resort.

just a little p.s.: we're mets fans too! i grew up w/dad having season tickets... best seats in the house, on the on-deck batter's circle!

I felt a connection right away after reading your post! ;) :laughing: It's great to hear from other Met fans, especially when they're not front runners, or even worse former Yankee fans who can't handle failure. :lmao: "I'm a NY fan. I like all the NY teams." :rolleyes: Yeah, that's not how you were talkin when your team was the team to beat & the Mets stunk. :rolleyes: Okay, I'll step off my soap box now. :rolleyes1

If it is a folding wheelchair many of the airlines will put it in the coat closet up near the door and so it does not have to be gate checked. Give your airline a call or look at the disabilities assistance portion of their web site.

MissMet... you make me smile! :goodvibes

Cheshire... thanks for the suggestion, i will give SWA a call...

THANKS AGAIN!! i knew i'd find my answer here :)

MissMet... you make me smile! :goodvibes

Cheshire... thanks for the suggestion, i will give SWA a call...

THANKS AGAIN!! i knew i'd find my answer here :)
I have never used SWA, but I don't think they have any closets on their planes. For planes that do have closets, they have to allow at least one manual wheelchair to be stowed in the closet if the closet is big enough. Ask early (like contact the disability info number or email for the airline before you travel so that you are first in line for the closet).

Make sure to mention that you want to gate check it before boarding starts. That allows time to make sure the gate check tag gets made out correctly so your wheelchair doesn't go vacationing in Arizona while you are going to WDW.:eek:
Also, before you leave it at the door of the plane, fold it as much as possible and make sure it is secured. Take off anything that is easily removable and bring that on the plane with you.

SWA does not have closets on their planes, so a w/c even if it is folded will need to be gate checked. They are very fast with gate checks. My DD is in a w/c and we usually have her chair at the door before the flight is 1/2 empty!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter