Can anyone offer advice for those with serious milk allergies at Disney?

Lorelai

Unapologetic Palm Tree Hugger
Hello! I posted a thread on another forum regarding needing a little help with making ADRs because of my 5 year old niece's milk allergy. The kind folks on the other forum led me here.:thumbsup2

Can anyone give me some advice as to how to approach CMs regarding food allergies? Do we mention it when we call Disney dining to book, or just when we show up at the ADR? Can we ask to speak to a chef in person?

Also, are there any places that anyone recommends as being more allergy friendly? I am just nervous for my niece because if she has even a small amount of milk she will end up having breathing/swelling difficulty. We just want for her to be able to get some milk free yummy Disney dishes without too much hassle for all those involved. Thanks!!:goodvibes

To start with, when you make any dining reservations be sure that you explain, and have in the notes, that one person has a severe milk allergy. When you check in at the podium remind them.

Normally a chef will come out to discuss the menu with you. If it is a buffet you will be guided as to what is and is not safe. Most of the chefs will be more than willing to make special dishes and/or desserts if none are regularly available.

At counter service locations the cashiers hsould be able to get you a manger who is aware of all of the foods and who will be able to provide assistance.

I am not totally sure, but I think that all restaurants, both counter and table service, have soy milk available at no extra charge.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate you taking the time to give some insight.

Unfortunately, she is also allergic to soy, as are a high number of kids with milk allergies. She drinks rice milk, but I'm guessing that is probably hard to find in Disney. Her mom & dad always have her milk with them, they are fantastic about always being prepared for her. Those Rice Dream milk boxes are a great way to keep it easily portable.

I will definitely make sure that it is noted in the ADRs, and again at the check-in. And I think that talking to the chef personally would help allay any fears of cross contamination of her food with milk products.

There's a lengthy thread a but further down on this page all about food allergies that will probably answer any questions you've got.

Anne

Unfortunately, she is also allergic to soy, as are a high number of kids with milk allergies. She drinks rice milk, but I'm guessing that is probably hard to find in Disney. Her mom & dad always have her milk with them, they are fantastic about always being prepared for her. Those Rice Dream milk boxes are a great way to keep it easily portable.

Several years ago I went to the character lunch at the Crystal Palace, and they had Rice Dream ice cream on hand for dessert. I can't recall if I had let them know in advance about my milk allergy, but they were very accommodating.

Several years ago I went to the character lunch at the Crystal Palace, and they had Rice Dream ice cream on hand for dessert. I can't recall if I had let them know in advance about my milk allergy, but they were very accommodating.

Excellent! Thank you for the info.:thumbsup2

Does anyone else know of any other places on site that offer Rice Dream Ice Cream?

Also, is the popcorn in the parks really dairy free? No oil or butter that would induce reaction?

Excellent! Thank you for the info.:thumbsup2

Does anyone else know of any other places on site that offer Rice Dream Ice Cream?

I bet you could get it just about anywhere if you give them a few days' notice.

Follow Cheshire Figment directions. We took my Mom to WDW this Nov and she has severe SeaFood Allegries. If a spoon touches seafood then a food item she eats she will go into a Anaphylactic shock. Each reservation we made we had it noted that we had someone that had a severe allegry to Seafood. When we went to dinner we also told them when we checked in and also told the wait-staff. At all our dinners the Chef came out to talk with us and made sure that my Mom's dinner did not come into contact with Seafood. Everyone was great!!!! Go have a Great Vacation. Disney will help you in anyway to make it enjoyable for all.

-Debbie

I bet you could get it just about anywhere if you give them a few days' notice.

Yes. I would add to Cheshire Figment's suggestions that you can call the restaurants directly about a week ahead of time. If you ask for specific ingredients (i.e. Rice Dream) I am told they are often willing to order them for you.

Btw, is she allergic to soy, or just to the majority of soy-milk-alternatives? I ask because my understanding was that the overlapping allergy isn't to soy but to the casein (milk product) that is included in most processed soy products. If she is only allergic to casein and not to soy then you could likely find some brands which are safe.

Thanks so much!

Yes, she is allergic to straight soy, as well as milk, poor kid! But we are just thrilled that we have options for her while at Disney.

And I am very grateful that there is a place like the DIS Boards where we can find answers to the questions that we have.:goodvibes

Brenda.Bennett@disney.com

Start with an email to her - she will provide lists for you.

I would recommend a grocery stop for your rice milk boxes and just bring them with you to your meals.

We've been to several restaurants that served Rice Dream - just have them note it when you make your ADRs, then mention it again when you get to the restaurant. Then ask your server.

You can ask for ingredient lists wherever you go.

My daughter had tofutti at the cone shop on Main Street at MK - maybe they have Rice Dream there too but you have to ask for it as they keep it separate from the regular ice cream.

Enjoy your trip!!

Thanks Tosie - My Fellow New Jerseyan!!:thumbsup2

I will follow all of these leads!

My son is also extremely allergic to milk, soy, peanuts and most raw vegetables and fruit. Disney handles allergies really well. Last time we went we emailed Brenda at disney and all the chefs that were involved in our ADR emailed me seperately too. We were even able to do character breakfast with no problem. They made special waffles or him and had special desserts for him.
Have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter